Hand catch and release -prosandcons

Always hand catch myself - landing can be a little tricky with down draft . Taking off is easy enough from the ground.

Pros of catch and release is that the Phantom will remain in the wild and not become a trophy on someone's wall.

Pro's of hand catching... your phantom won't top over when landing on the ground. Tipping over could result in broken props.

Cons of hand catching... you don't do it right and you slash your fingers. There is then a possibility that the drone will crash.

Pros of catch and release is that the Phantom will remain in the wild and not become a trophy on someone's wall.

Pro's of hand catching... your phantom won't top over when landing on the ground. Tipping over could result in broken props.

Cons of hand catching... you don't do it right and you slash your fingers. There is then a possibility that the drone will crash.
Catching mainly in windy weather?

Catching mainly in windy weather?

Personally I catch all of the time. When done correctly there is very little risk. I hover the P3 about a foot above my head and about 15' away. I approach from upwind and firmly grab the P3 by the landing gear, right next to the drone body. I'm holding the controller in the other hand with my fingers on the down stick (technical term). When I have the drone in my hand I press the down stick and at the same slowly raise the drone upward until the motors shut off.

Uneven ground, wind, prop wash... all can cause the P3 to tip when landing. A vast majority of fliers land on the ground with no issues.

Hand launching and hand catching also prevents dirt, sand, and debris from being kicked up into the motors, gimbal, and camera, from the prop wash. Highly recommended skills to learn.

Reactions: thousandyard
I've been flying since the Phantom 2v+ came out and land all the time on the ground or sidewalk and even grass. Only time I hand catch is at beach. Don't need sand in motors. I enjoy the landing. Once you get accustomed to it no more tip overs. Haven't replace a prop from a tip over in over a year. A lot of fun and piloting to land properly but really enjoy it. Less chance of stitches and staples too.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I catch it every time and never have a problem now on my phantom 1 on take off bc it tilted coward but the 3 goes up

I catch it every time and never have a problem now on my phantom 1 on take off bc it tilted coward but the 3 goes up

i started hand catching after the tip overs on my phantom fc40. Im assuming they fixed that problem by now but its not even worth the risk of that or a hard landing. I have never once landed my P3S on the ground. also i would prefer not to land in dirt, sand or uneven ground anyway.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hand launching and hand catching also prevents dirt, sand, and debris from being kicked up into the motors, gimbal, and camera, from the prop wash. Highly recommended skills to learn.

I launch from the case, or if at home, a plastic step stool.

Like RoyVa, I land on the ground unless I'm landing in sand or I don't have a level service to land on.

IMO, there are three things that any drone pilot needs to be able to do: Land, fly a circle, and fly a figure 8. If you can't do those things, you are "flying" your drone, but you are not "piloting" it.

That said, we all should learn to hand catch (and we should all have the skill to land hands-free too).

Like RoyVa, I land on the ground unless I'm landing in sand or I don't have a level service to land on.

IMO, there are three things that any drone pilot needs to be able to do: Land, fly a circle, and fly a figure 8. If you can't do those things, you are "flying" your drone, but you are not "piloting" it.

That said, we all should learn to hand catch (and we should all have the skill to land hands-free too).

I don't hand catch when flying in the house :cool:

I take off from the ground while standing a few meters away using the auto feature. I let the bird hover for a few moments before flight (this kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that she is running alright). If I have a clean level area to land I enjoy the skill in manual landings(ATTI mode) but if the conditions aren't' right I hand catch, which is about 90% of the time.

Hand catch.
Because I can :cool:
Land..just for practice .
Hand launch - Never tryed
Hand launching is now possible with the bird in one hand and the transmitter hanging from a neck strap. Use your free hand to select Launch in the app, and then slide your finger across the screen to confirm. I still turn the battery on while on the ground to set the home point and warm up on a level surface, but then lift it up and hold it to hand launch, if no table is available. No debris in the motors that way, and no sandblasting of the camera lens UV filter.

Hand launching is now possible with the bird in one hand and the transmitter hanging from a neck strap. Use your free hand to select Launch in the app, and then slide your finger across the screen to confirm. I still turn the battery on while on the ground to set the home point and warm up on a level surface, but then lift it up and hold it to hand launch, if no table is available. No debris in the motors that way, and no sandblasting of the camera lens UV filter.
:)

Is there a video on "How to" hand catch your bird? Would be nice to watch a few times before attempting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj