Ham radio license in U.S.

Reaction score
I've been checking on a FPV-IOSD setup, but I have discovered that the FCC doesn't allow this unless you have a Ham Radio License. Am I over-reacting or is this a problem?

May want to check on transmit power. I looked prior to buying mine and don't exactly remember numbers but felt I was far below the output numbers. May be wrong but couldn't find a lot of black and white rules. Seemed the more I read the more confusing it was.

Zippy1144 said:
Probably because every bureaucrat has their own set of rules.

Actually, it makes good sense. You should be happy that people using high-powered antennas have to take a test and be licensed. If they set up their equipment incorrectly, it could put your Phantom at risk. Anyway, I don't think the test is that hard and it costs something like $30.

ianwood said:
Zippy1144 said:
Probably because every bureaucrat has their own set of rules.

Actually, it makes good sense. You should be happy that people using high-powered antennas have to take a test and be licensed. If they set up their equipment incorrectly, it could put your Phantom at risk. Anyway, I don't think the test is that hard and it costs something like $30.

Very good point ianwood, I stand corrected. I am making plans to study for the test. After all, I had to have a license to drive a car....so why not to fly a serious aircraft. I'm bound to even learn something. Of course, probably by the time I learn this stuff, dji will have a zenmuse-type gimbal for the Vision...probably Phantom 3.

I had to look at this post lol. I am a Ham radio operator. FCC call is N4FOX. My name is Justin Priami. repeater.qth.com is a site of mine I have about ham radio and some other stuff I enjoy like RC. Im betting there are multiple reasons there are power limits on some of this equipment. One is to not cause interference. Another good one would be because equipment that uses microwave frequencies like these can be very dangerous to human tissue. Here you can find some info about the dangers of radio frequency. http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html#Q5 The higher in frequency the more dangerous.

But other than that little bit of info im glad to have found this forum. Ive been into RC for years. Ive done just about everything in RC. These quads are easy to fly compared to the traditional style helicopters with tail rotors. Plus I enjoy photography and filming so this Phantom 2 with the gopro is just freaking awesome.

JPriami said:

Now that's a choice callsign! General or Extra?

I let my tech ticket expire years ago (KA3USE), hadn't even realized they dropped the code requirement in 2007. I just did a practice run through on the test questions and got over 90%, so I guess I just need to get off my butt and go get my license again.

General for now. I have a few hobbies I tend to juggle. I will go all out in one hobby and do a lot. Then get bored and move over to the next one. So now I'm back into RC. Might get more active in radio again later. I actually sold some of my HF rigs to buy a nice four wheeler. Then started making trails in the woods we have behind the house. I figured that's something my 4yr old son would enjoy doing. And he loves being taken on rides on the trails. I do kinda miss my radios though lol.

JPriami said:
General for now. I have a few hobbies I tend to juggle. I will go all out in one hobby and do a lot. Then get bored and move over to the next one. So now I'm back into RC. Might get more active in radio again later. I actually sold some of my HF rigs to buy a nice four wheeler. Then started making trails in the woods we have behind the house. I figured that's something my 4yr old son would enjoy doing. And he loves being taken on rides on the trails. I do kinda miss my radios though lol.

I'm usually the same exact way with hobbies...but I'm hoping this one has the staying power to keep my interest well in to retirement ;)

Most of my equipment was 2nd-hand kenwood gear passed down from my dad, but I haven't owned any in years. He did RACES/ARES for years, is still very active (KD3VK), and helped put together the 2m rig that's now in place International Space Station. He was thrilled today when I told him I'm getting my license again :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31