Had the P2V+ for one day and almost ready to sell it.

Reaction score
Update post #9 below on 10/14

Haven't flown yet.

One stupid thing after the other.

The latest is the tablet I purchased to use with it. A Nexus 7, actually I bought two because the first guy on ebay didn't ship or reply for a week so I bought another. The the first guy shipped, now I have two.

I bought the Nexus 7 because it was mentioned here a few places as being used. These are the 2012 version running the 4.1 something software.

Now I read the Vision App will not work with this version. It must be the 2013 version Nexus 7. True or not I don't know.

When I go to the Play Store to download the app it says not compatible. I changed the setting in the tablet to except downloads from places other than the Play Store as I read here to do and then go to DJI website to download it here ; DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ - Easy to Fly Aerial Filmmaking System but it only has a link to the Play Store and it doesn't even take me there, just says bad gateway.

I have had about enough of this ****. I bought this to have fun! It hasn't been fun at all.

So please tell me, do I have two worthless with the quadcopter Nexus 7s?

How can I get this Vision App to work and better yet where to get one that will work. Seriously this shouldn't have to be so difficult.

Thank you for any help. I'll be back in the morning, only slept a few hours the last two nights due to the nasty head cold my wife gave me.

Last edited:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

DJI says these will work but some people have been able to "side load" the app on unsupported devices. I wouldn't suggest that as they seem to have weird issues. Best bet if yours don't work is to sell them and get an iPad.

DJI VISION APP

• * Mobile Device Support: iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPod touch 5 (available but not recommended: iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini). Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3 or Android phones of similar configuration.

There is a free app for the P2V+ called Litchi for DJI Phantom 2_v2.7.2 ... i think thats the one you need.
As with everything, it gets easier the more you learn. :)

Last edited:
Thank you both.

Well...selling both Nexus 7's and buying an iPad is a problem right now. I spent all my play money (and more) and by the time I sell them and order an iPad winter will be here. I hate cold.

This whole thing has not gone well. No charger in the box when the quadcopter arrived on Monday. Had one overnighted which wasn't cheap. Needed (no thought I needed a Nexus7) so I had one overnighted to have it yesterday because the guy I bought one from last week seemed to be dead. Now he shows two tracking numbers for the shipping.

Never owned a smartphone or tablet before and finding my way around the tablet had me pulling hair.

It could be that this part of RC is best for the younger people, this all seems so easy for them. I'm 61 and knew computers and even taught and built them but I'm afraid this stuff is passing me by. I built and flew a few RC helicopters back in the 80's and spent a pile of $ on them but I loved it...except when I crashed one that cost over 2 grand.

I'll have to give this whole thing some thought before I do any more or waste even more money and sleep. I've watched this quadcopter/camera stuff from the start and always wanted to do it since photography is another of my hobbies.

NO, I'm not usually a quiter, usually the opposite just very disappointed in myself and the thinness of my wallet right now. Thanks again.

I'm older than you are. I started out a couple of years ago when the P2V+ was the state-of-the-art. I didn't cut any corners, bought an iPad Mini to use with it, and it worked great. I've flown the thing for a couple of hundred flights with only one mishap and one near-mishap. A couple of months ago, I moved up to the Phantom 4. Sheesh...that's like a completely different level of sophistication and reliability. Everything that I ever found limiting or troublesome about the P2V+ has been completely addressed in the current versions.

i will say that your troubles aren't reflective of the hobby, necessarily, but of your purchasing choices regarding your entry into the hobby. If your P2V+ was bought used, that might make me a little nervous. I understand a limited budget, but I also know that cutting corners often causes headaches. If I was you, I'd bite the bullet and press on. Get an iPad (refurbished at the Apple Store). Get your P2 up in the air. It's a fun hobby, but it really gets interesting as you move up the technology ladder.

Last edited:
I'm older than you are. I started out a couple of years ago when the P2V+ was the state-of-the-art. I didn't cut any corners, bought an iPad Mini to use with it, and it worked great. I've flown the thing for a couple of hundred flights with only one mishap and one near-mishap. A couple of months ago, I moved up to the Phantom 4. Sheesh...that's like a completely different level of sophistication and reliability. Everything that I ever found limiting or troublesome about the P2V+ has been completely addressed in the current versions.

i will say that your troubles aren't reflective of the hobby, necessarily, but of your purchasing choices regarding your entry into the hobby. If your P2V+ was bought used, that might make me a little nervous. I understand a limited budget, but I also know that cutting corners often causes headaches. If I was you, I'd bite the bullet and press on. Get an iPad (refurbished at the Apple Store). Get your P2 up in the air. It's a fun hobby, but it really gets interesting as you move up the technology ladder.

Thank you for that, I needed it.

Or for someone to tell me I can't do it. That usually works well to get me fired up and press on.

Since my last post I have had a few coffee's and a shower and found a better attitude.

I would love to have a new Phantom 4 but I really do have a limited budget. I bought a new Kubota backhoe in June so money for hobbies just isn't there. Don't have a "real" job at the moment so I have to be careful on spending. The Phantom 2 I bought is in good shape, it came with four batteries, two show zero discharges, one shows 2 and the other 6 so I suppose that should mean it was flown 8 times. Buying used is all I can afford now so it will have to do.

I downloaded the Litchi to the tablet. I really need to figure at the tablet first. I ran it but can't figure out how to close it now. Go ahead and laugh, I am.

I respect the advice to buy an iPad, but I have no love for anything Apple. I own a few older iPods and don't care for they they force you do do everything their way. Can't download music from my computer that I put there from my own CD's or albums and only allow you to buy music from them. No Apple for me, I gave away the iPods. If the Lexus 7 doesn't work out with Litchi I'll buy an Android that will work with the Vision App someday.

I think my problem with this is it is going to take some effort and time to learn. I'm used to being able to do whatever I want with ease, I've been blessed with that ability. I'm going to slow down and get this figured out.

Thanks again!

I'm sure there are android devices that work fine, I just have always had trouble figuring out what they are at any given moment. The Apple infrastructure is consistent, and especially relative to DJI, is pretty seamless.

You'll get it Rick. We all had to learn it, once you do it's easy. As for the Apple stuff, you can add all the music you want from your CD's or anywhere else. You just have to sync it to your computer. ;)

Just to update...

All is good now. I think the meds I was taking for the cold really screwed me up. I had no idea they could do the things they did to me. I'm not a drug taker, hardly ever take an aspirin.

The day after I stopped my mind was working fine again and I have everything working and figured out.

NOT selling or even thinking about it.

I do feel like an *** for this thread, but for once in my life I'll blame it on over the counter cold drugs.

When I go to the Play Store to download the app it says not compatible. I changed the setting in the tablet to except downloads from places other than the Play Store as I read here to do and then go to DJI website to download it here ; DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ - Easy to Fly Aerial Filmmaking System but it only has a link to the Play Store and it doesn't even take me there, just says bad gateway.

Don't know what it was like a few days ago but when I go to the download page it shows an icon/link for the Google store but it's a direct download of the .apk file to install. So you could use the phone to download the application directly. No need to go to the Google Play store.

I have had about enough of this ****. I bought this to have fun! It hasn't been fun at all.
I've read your follow up post. Don't think twice about it... I know I've been there _many_ times. It can be _extremely_ frustrating when things do go as they should. You have a lot of time, effort and money involved in this.

I got my P2V Plus out a few weeks ago and flew it. It does fly differently than the P3 and P4 but it's _still_ a GREAT drone. Pictures and video look really good. It was a lot of fun to revisit the Vision Plus. I'm going to try to fly it today but the winds are kicking up to around 15mph.

I have Litchi for Phantom 2 on the 2012 Nexus 7 and working. Unhappy it doesn't have Points Of Interest on the Phantom 2 version. And haven't been able to get my saved missions on LItchi's Mission Hub on to my tablet yet. Working on solving that.

Also was able to get the DJI Vision app on the Nexus 7 and working. I downloaded it from DJI website, not from the play store. I tried clicking on the downloaded file in the download folder but it wouldn't install. The problem was the Nexus didn't have a file viewer. I install an app called Solid Explorer, found the vision.apk file, clicked on it and it installed. It seems to be working fine.

Having never owned a tablet or smart phone, I must say that learning my way around the tablet has been the hardest thing so far. I like a desktop computer...is that really "old school"? :) :confused:

I'm almost ready to fly, not going up until I learn more. Still not positive about a few things that I don't want to learn the hard way.

Thanks again to all that have helped, and I really mean that.

try NOT to upgrade your phantom (and your dji vision) to the latest.. i might kill your drones internal parts.
my p2 vplus v3 is only able to fly after the updates. lost all the camera functions except tilting it.
be cautious.

try NOT to upgrade your phantom (and your dji vision) to the latest.. i might kill your drones internal parts.
my p2 vplus v3 is only able to fly after the updates. lost all the camera functions except tilting it.
be cautious.

Thank you for your advice.

BUT I followed all the posts and advice that told me to be SURE everything is up to date.

I haven't lost anything. Camera tilt sucks with Litchi but it's fine for everything else. The Vision app seems to work fine also. I do get some screwed up video feed to my tablet with both when I first start it but it clears up soon after. I have read the wifi goes bad in this model often and when it does it will not pay DJI's price of $150 to replace something that has known problems. I'll sell it for what I can get and move on to something else and it won't be DJI.

So far I'm not real thrilled with DJI because of dropping support for a product that has only been out of production a few years. I also don't care for their $130 batteries that don't last for more than 10 discharges without swelling and having cell issues. So far, I not real happy and this is starting out with a used one with very little use and not a huge amount of money. If I had started with new and the price of new I would be even more unhappy. I'm not rich, I have bills and taxes and other things more important than a flying camera and just can not afford to throw money away.

hey rick, im having trouble getting my Samsung tab to work at all with litchi. it keeps telling me that the app needs to confirm itself but it cant find internet....did you have that problem? I also need the apk of the vision app, where can I find it....see, now your the expert and im the rookie! lol!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj