H3-3D Zenmuse uncontrollable & twerking while in air

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new here !

The plot is as follows, - bought a Phantom 2 w/ Zenmuse H3-3D - had a GoPro Hero 3 White Installed everything as per the instructions, first maiden flight was ok. Now, when I fly, my gimball is going crazy. I take off, fly for a few minutes and then it goes to jello and afterwards it just twerks without any logic. Sometimes I can recover it by messing with the tilt, sometimes not. Will post video soon. Ideas ? Will soon change all the dampeners, I switched to 50* black on the two holes that don't have safety pins, still to no avail. Yes, it's upgraded.
What's that thing about facing north ?
Recalibrating the compass should do anything ?
Also, when starting up, the gimball hits the ground slightly, when it's doing it's axis thingy, should I hold it in my hand while starting for it not to touch anything while doing the axis thingy ?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBUPnOeHhUA[/youtube]Example clip shot today. Gone to jello after multiple minutes, after which by adjusting tilt I managed to get it to work again.

I just went out again after doing a compass recalibration, and in 10 minutes of flying it happened only once. Weird thing though, the twerking doesn't start when you jerk around the controllers, moving it aggressively from left to right, and forward to back, but when you fly forward - not with much speed. At a highspeed run I had no problems, the problem occured when I was gently going forward. It's kinda scary that I'm the only one that has encountered this issue.

After examining the video, I could see that there isn't any jello now before the twerking starts, but the gimball drops down and then begins twerking.

Have you added a filter or anything to the camera to throw it off balance?
That is pretty frightening to watch.

2 things...
It looks like its re-initialising in mid air. If it is, recheck your soldering or FPV hub and make sure its getting sufficient power to the gimbal.

OR
It also looks like you may have a stressed motor because it is not neutrally balanced.

Place the phantom on a levelled table. While it is off, can you tell me if it flops to one side?
If so, you need to counter with coins so it is neutrally balanced. The more balanced, the less stress on the motors.

HailStorm said:
Have you added a filter or anything to the camera to throw it off balance?
That is pretty frightening to watch.

Nothing of this sort, the setup is as basic as it comes.

Mako79 said:
2 things...
It looks like its re-initialising in mid air. If it is, recheck your soldering or FPV hub and make sure its getting sufficient power to the gimbal.

OR
It also looks like you may have a stressed motor because it is not neutrally balanced.

Place the phantom on a levelled table. While it is off, can you tell me if it flops to one side?
If so, you need to counter with coins so it is neutrally balanced. The more balanced, the less stress on the motors.

I didn't solder anything, so I should probably check the soldering of what to what ? When off it goes to the left, to the small servo motor on the left of the camera.
I do reissue that this only happens at random times, I resetted the gimball yesterday and didn't get a chance to fly yet as to see if the issue is gone.

I opened it up, moved the anti interference board from underneath the battery to the location DJI suggested, on the motherboard. Today's weather didn't allow me to fly, so I will try again tomorrow. Regarding the level of the gimball when off, it is to the left. This is a picture of it off.

Kodin said:
I opened it up, moved the anti interference board from underneath the battery to the location DJI suggested, on the motherboard. Today's weather didn't allow me to fly, so I will try again tomorrow. Regarding the level of the gimball when off, it is to the left. This is a picture of it off.

that's bad. the gimbal needs to "float" when off - neutrally balanced. Use a small coin and Velcro/double side tape it to the go pro side.

Ok, so I got the time today to fly, and managed to test everything again.

I did
- gimball reset (according to DJI procedure)
- reupdated firmware of everything, even though they showed up as updated
- compass calibration before take-off
- advanced calibration (at home)
- mounted anti-interference board inside the Phantom 2 where DJI suggested
I can confirm that for now the issues are gone, and when I started the Phantom, before calibrating the compass, the gimball hit the ground, afterwards after the compass calibration, when the gimball reinitialized it did not hit the ground anymore, and there were no more twerking issues while in air.

Hope this helps other people with simillar issues.

Re: H3-3D Zenmuse uncontrollable & twerking while in air

That sane thing happened to me.did u crash your phantom before?

mlsantos28 said:
That sane thing happened to me.did u crash your phantom before?

Nope, never crashed it.

It seems now that it's not level while in flight, well, let's reset again !

Was the battery on the GoPro low? I've had problems when the Phantom has to charge the GoPro battery via the H33D USB cable. I would get twerking and bad audio. I changed the USB connector for the GoPro connector (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Video ... 566da9f684) and all is now working without problem. Apparently, there are some problems with bad earthing on some GoPro's which cause electrical feedback into the Gimbal

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20