H3-3D on a F550 - limited tilt range

Reaction score
Installed the H3-3D on my 550 and although the footage is nice and stable, I've noticed that the tilt range is very limited. In fact, it only tilts down another 15-20 degrees or so from it's forward facing starting position. When I had my 2D on there it would complete the tilt range facing downwards (45 degrees from it's starting point). Anyone else have similar issues? Any solutions?

ericty said:
Installed the H3-3D on my 550 and although the footage is nice and stable, I've noticed that the tilt range is very limited. In fact, it only tilts down another 15-20 degrees or so from it's forward facing starting position. When I had my 2D on there it would complete the tilt range facing downwards (45 degrees from it's starting point). Anyone else have similar issues? Any solutions?

Did you calibrate it (x1) with the assistant? Are you using Ianwood's profile on a T8 or 14sg?

ladykate said:
Did you calibrate it (x1) with the assistant? Are you using Ianwood's profile on a T8 or 14sg?

Yes...well I calibrated it as far as I know. I'm using a Futaba 8FG...in the Assistant software the 'Gimbal' tab is not activated and I've never had to use this before. I've calibrated the sticks without problem. Will activating the 'Gimbal' tab in the Assistant have any negative affects on my current set up? And 'no' I did not use Ianwood's profile.

ericty said:
ladykate said:

Yes...well I calibrated it as far as I know. I'm using a Futaba 8FG...in the Assistant software the 'Gimbal' tab is not activated and I've never had to use this before. I've calibrated the sticks without problem. Will activating the 'Gimbal' tab in the Assistant have any negative affects on my current set up? And 'no' I did not use Ianwood's profile.

Don't use the Gimbal tab (it won't hurt but it won't do anything - just leave that off). Use the Basic/RC tab and calibrate X1. Get everything playing together and then go to Basic/RC and move your gimbal control to see that X1 is moving. Calibrate it in the screen inset (right/middle). That might give you the full range. I'm using the 8FG on mine, too.

ladykate said:
Don't use the Gimbal tab (it won't hurt but it won't do anything - just leave that off). Use the Basic/RC tab and calibrate X1. Get everything playing together and then go to Basic/RC and move your gimbal control to see that X1 is moving. Calibrate it in the screen inset (right/middle). That might give you the full range. I'm using the 8FG on mine, too.

Did that. No change. I'm using the right slider to do the tilt on my 8FG. Which lever are you using? I considered using Ianwood's profile...seems very robust. Maybe I'll just import his settings and see what happens.

ericty said:
Did that. No change. I'm using the right slider to do the tilt on my 8FG. Which lever are you using? I considered using Ianwood's profile...seems very robust. Maybe I'll just import his settings and see what happens.

I was using the right slider but I kept moving the **** thing by accident. I moved it to the right knob. At least now I KNOW I'm moving it.

Ianwood's profile has some fairly clever hookups for the gimbal control. It might do something for you. Don't replace your old one - if you don't like the new one you can just toss it and go back.

Just an update to all who offered helpful suggestions, the tilt range problems are fixed. The advice given to 'calibrate the X1' sticks did the trick. The reason it didn't work for me initially was that in the Mac version of the Assistant, there is no 'X1' calibration start button See graphic beloow.

This totally confused me and on a hunch I hooked up to a PC laptop and ran the Windows version of Assistant. The 'X1' calibration start button was there, and after going through the procedure of calibration - all is well with the gimbal. Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 4.52.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 4.52.08 PM.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 612
Yeah, inexplicably the Mac Assistant seems to be missing two things:

1. The X1 calibrate button, which you've run into.
2. The "motor test" function in the motor mixer screen.

Both are very useful and reasons why I'll have to keep the PC Assistant around for a while longer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie