H3-3D Noise

Reaction score
I'm getting a nasty sounding grinding noise from the gimbal that happens as I tilt through a certain range. It otherwise performs fine.. at least as far as I can tell. Has anyone else seen (heard) this?

When I first installed mine on power up it would cycle 3-4 times panning and vertical making a grinding noise. After it would settle and seemed to work OK. I didn't trust it so I removed it planning to return. I then thought a video of the noise and gyrations would be beneficial so I re installed. This time no noise and cycled only once before settling. I then installed new firmware and still tests OK. One time it seemed the back plate of the gimbal got very warm/hot to the touch and the camera as well but on subsequent power ups and recording it is now cool. Hoping it stays this way.

Have you tried resetting frequency on gimbal adjustment page?

Hm.. I don't see an option for that. There are tilt limits and gain, and an option for FPV mode that locks roll. Am I missing something? Thx.

In assistant software upper right of page should be freq

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 6.42.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 6.42.04 AM.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 2,212
I do not have those options.. hm. Which version is that? I have v3 now but don't recall it in 2 either. Was it? Thx!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 7.17.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 7.17.55 AM.png
    126 KB · Views: 1,831
That came from NAZA M assistant 2.20 (firmware 4.02)

PhantomPhreak said:
When I first installed mine on power up it would cycle 3-4 times panning and vertical making a grinding noise. After it would settle and seemed to work OK. I didn't trust it so I removed it planning to return. I then thought a video of the noise and gyrations would be beneficial so I re installed. This time no noise and cycled only once before settling. I then installed new firmware and still tests OK. One time it seemed the back plate of the gimbal got very warm/hot to the touch and the camera as well but on subsequent power ups and recording it is now cool. Hoping it stays this way.

I just installed my gimbal and updated the firmware. Took a quick video and it was making a very loud grinding noise. I'll check into the settings tomorrow but the heat it generated was so much I couldn't touch it. This along with having compass/gps issues is very worrisome.

azsean said:
PhantomPhreak said:

I just installed my gimbal and updated the firmware. Took a quick video and it was making a very loud grinding noise. I'll check into the settings tomorrow but the heat it generated was so much I couldn't touch it. This along with having compass/gps issues is very worrisome.

The dealer I purchased from is sending my video clip to DJI for their opinion. Supposedly we'll find out today what the deal is and I'll report back.

EMCSQUAR said:
I'm a little confused. I use the Phantom Assistant software with my Phantom 2, and fly using NAZA mode. Can this NAZA Assistant software you're referring to be used to configure my Phantom 2? I thought that was just for configuring third-party copters that use the NAZA flight controller.

Update - DJI have asked me to return the gimbal for repair, expected turn around time no less than four weeks. That's some great customer support on an out of box failure.

ScottH said:
Update - DJI have asked me to return the gimbal for repair, expected turn around time no less than four weeks. That's some great customer support on an out of box failure.

Can't work out if you are being sarcastic or not!! :D no less than 4 weeks!! brand new unit, they should send a replacement immediately!!

markab said:
ScottH said:

Can't work out if you are being sarcastic or not!! :D no less than 4 weeks!! brand new unit, they should send a replacement immediately!!

Yes.. sarcasm is a hobby of mine. It's apparent that they cannot meet demand and quality has suffered even more.

ScottH said:
Yes.. sarcasm is a hobby of mine. It's apparent that they cannot meet demand and quality has suffered even more.

:D I am still waiting to get a response from DJI as I have the same issue, not looking forward to waiting that amount of time to get a replacement.

EMCSQUAR said:

I've never heard or read about anyone talking about using the NAZA assistant. When is that to be used?

I'm having exactly the same issue with a brand new H3 3D right out of the box.

Were you able to get a replacement from DJI?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj