H3-2D vs H3-3D - worth the upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi All.

I bought the full kit in March with the 2D option.

really happy with it, but I do like the look of the new H3-3D Gimbal and not sure if its worth upgrading?
I may end up buying another DJI Phantom 2 kit and having a spare for shoots.

or should I try to buy just the gimbal on its own and buy spare parts for it? which is best? or shall I keep with the 2D for now... :?:

the BEST thing for you to do is to look at the comparisons on youtube.
After that, its up to personal preference/need.

A picture (or youtube video) is worth a thousand words

I've watched a number of them.

the video's are good, certainly tempted me, but having just got the complete 2D kit going, I wanted some actual advice if anyone in the same position or can advise what would be best?

cezarewhite said:

the video's are good, certainly tempted me, but having just got the complete 2D kit going, I wanted some actual advice if anyone in the same position or can advise what would be best?
Anyone serious about getting good stable footage will upgrade without question. The 2D falls down with that unwanted yaw movement. If you're happy enough with what you get with the 2D, don't bother with the hassle / expense. Simple ;)

Jaybee said:
cezarewhite said:

Anyone serious about getting good stable footage will upgrade without question. The 2D falls down with that unwanted yaw movement. If you're happy enough with what you get with the 2D, don't bother with the hassle / expense. Simple ;)

That's pretty much it. The decision is based on what you need to record and how tolerant you and your audience are of unstabilized panning.

I'm debating this also. Are the problems that come with the 3D and having to run the newer firmware worth it compared to the problems that come with the 2D? I do like the FPV option and last I heard that wasn't available for the 2D.

I'm waiting for the compass fix before I bother upgrading my firmware. What's broke on mine won't be fixed till that comes out and as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

mcmax20 said:
I'm debating this also. Are the problems that come with the 3D and having to run the newer firmware worth it compared to the problems that come with the 2D? I do like the FPV option and last I heard that wasn't available for the 2D.

I'm waiting for the compass fix before I bother upgrading my firmware. What's broke on mine won't be fixed till that comes out and as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Just to say, you don't have to upgrade. I couldn't find his post about it, but LiLPhantom is running 1.08 and the 3D - with no complaints. I've noticed some others are too. Also noticed lots of people saying v3.2 is running well for them.

Personally, I'm going to stick with 1.08 (when I finally manage to score a 3D) and see how it goes.

Well that's worth knowing, I was under the assumption that one had to run 2.0 at least. To get FPV mode you do have to run 3.0 or better, i'll keep thinking on it. My confidence with DJI has been fading the past while, a fix on the compass issue will bring me back (I'm in a -17 area) but they are taking their dear sweet time with that one, especially knowing their other flight systems don't have that issue.

Would really like to know if the GoPro4 will work with the H3-3D...

Have the issues with vibration in the 3D been fixed? I've been holding off until all the kinks are worked out.

well...

decided to cancel my Panasonic GH4 pre-order (for now)

Then I ordered another DJI Phantom 2 with H3-3D from Heliguy again (bought the 2D kit in march) the footage you get I think will be worth it, so now I got a spare Phantom I guess, I have already fitted the 5.8GHZ - Storm All-in-One FPV Combo (Deluxe) Boscam 5.8Ghz 500mw Video Transmitter from Helipal, its fitted on the 2d and all works great, sometimes it can be static but think its how I fitted it.

So now I will have to disconnect it all and put on the new kit, is it worth just buying another FPV kit (without monitor) is the FPV I got good enough or do I need to invest in some Glovelief antennas and different FPV kit?

ianwood said:
Have the issues with vibration in the 3D been fixed? I've been holding off until all the kinks are worked out.
Generally seems to be mixed opinions. Perhaps many issues are to do with how people are adapting their P2 shell, i.e, without adding DIY spacers would certainly cause vibrations as the top gimbal motor hits the battery -or- firmware mismatches / issues, it's certainly a confusing time regarding all that. There are lots of reports about of perfectly smooth, non jello footage.

I'm just waiting for stock to arrive in the UK and I will be buying one straight away. Apparently they are due at the end of next week. Dealers are saying they will be the v1.1 version with optional interference board in the box, so doesn't look like DJI are doing any further work to the product, i.e, internally building-in the interference board as was once rumoured.

The v1.1 version will have an optional HDMI adapter for Lightbridge users and I've been told it will still charge the GoPro ala the H3-2D / v1 H3-3D unless you use Lightbridge.

Time will tell I guess.

To confirm, we can still use the GoPro as the FPV camera on the 3D?

If so, I will upgrade without a doubt. The unwanted yaw had been a real problem for me as I wish to shoot video to sell.

One thing I found is that I have found it better to shoot in GPS mode, not ATTI mode. I get less yaw that way.

Jaybee said:
ianwood said:
Generally seems to be mixed opinions. Perhaps many issues are to do with how people are adapting their P2 shell, i.e, without adding DIY spacers would certainly cause vibrations as the top gimbal motor hits the battery -or- firmware mismatches / issues, it's certainly a confusing time regarding all that. There are lots of reports about of perfectly smooth, non jello footage.

I'm just waiting for stock to arrive in the UK and I will be buying one straight away. Apparently they are due at the end of next week. Dealers are saying they will be the v1.1 version with optional interference board in the box, so doesn't look like DJI are doing any further work to the product, i.e, internally building-in the interference board as was once rumoured.

The v1.1 version will have an optional HDMI adapter for Lightbridge users and I've been told it will still charge the GoPro ala the H3-2D / v1 H3-3D unless you use Lightbridge.

Time will tell I guess.

After two nights of editing two shoots down to literally zero clips as result of yaw waggle waggle waggle, I broke down and bought a H3-3D from B&H. It'll be in LA before I am tomorrow. Here's to yaw not ruining any more shots!

Jaybee said:
mcmax20 said:

Just to say, you don't have to upgrade. I couldn't find his post about it, but LiLPhantom is running 1.08 and the 3D - with no complaints. I've noticed some others are too. Also noticed lots of people saying v3.2 is running well for them.

Personally, I'm going to stick with 1.08 (when I finally manage to score a 3D) and see how it goes.

I'm on 1.08 as well with no problems. "if it aint broke..." indeed.

Jaybee, I notice your sig . . . Want my 2D? :D I want to get the 3D.
Also, I was just perusing your website and vimeo channel... I have to ask what kinds of contraptions/rigs do you use for your panning time-lapse shots? They must be some professional grade stuff. Best I can do is the old egg-timer and that's only good for small cameras like the gopro. Beautiful stuff. I don't want you to give away any secrets but if you don't mind.

ianwood said:
After two nights of editing two shoots down to literally zero clips as result of yaw waggle waggle waggle, I broke down and bought a H3-3D from B&H. It'll be in LA before I am tomorrow. Here's to yaw not ruining any more shots!
:D

poostik said:
Jaybee, I notice your sig . . . Want my 2D? :D I want to get the 3D.
Also, I was just perusing your website and vimeo channel... I have to ask what kinds of contraptions/rigs do you use for your panning time-lapse shots? They must be some professional grade stuff. Best I can do is the old egg-timer and that's only good for small cameras like the gopro. Beautiful stuff. I don't want you to give away any secrets but if you don't mind.
I'm waiting to buy a 3D, so reluctant to buy another 2D as it will never really get used. Was really after a bust-up one so I could fix my 2D in the meantime (broken ribbon cable) but I've resigned to the fact I am just going to have to wait a little longer for the 3D.

In terms of the motion control kit I use, no worries man -- happy to let you know, it's no secret ; )

I have a Dynamic Perception Stage One rail system with custom rails (built here in the UK) and a stepper motor upgrade. Main reason for the upgrade is I use another bit of kit: the eMotimoTB3 to control the Stage One + gives me the option for 3 axis moves.

The TB3 is an awesome pan / tilt system, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for checking out my work.

Hey Jaybee,

We should chat. I've got a 2D that's had a crash, and has a perfectly intact ribbon cable. In fact, the whole thing works quite well still, but has the slightest bend to the servo shaft on the camera side of the gimbal. I still fly with it, but pulled the trigger and ordered a 3D. Now I'll be looking to off-load the 2D. Was going to put it up on eBay.

Cheers,
Jared

Jaybee said:
In terms of the motion control kit I use, no worries man -- happy to let you know, it's no secret ; )

I have a Dynamic Perception Stage One rail system with custom rails (built here in the UK) and a stepper motor upgrade. Main reason for the upgrade is I use another bit of kit: the eMotimoTB3 to control the Stage One + gives me the option for 3 axis moves.

The TB3 is an awesome pan / tilt system, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for checking out my work.

Thanks for the info.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore. I have lots of random questions about your vids. haha.

Whenever you get a chance, make an AMA thread so I can annoy the crap out of you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20