H3-2D Not Working with GoPro Hero 4

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased the new GoPro Hero 4 and wanted to do some 4K shooting today, but my gimbal goes limp when I hook the Hero 4 Black Edition to it. When I load the Phantom Software with the Hero4 connected the software doesn't even see the gimbal. I'm not sure whats going on because I see other pilots that have no problem putting the Hero 4 on their Gimbal. Please help!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Perhaps those folks are using a 3D and not 2D gimbal. I haven't found anyone successful with a 2D gimbal.

Stabilization works with my 2D, however it does not seem to communicate with the gimbal at all. Video does not transmit nor does it charge the H4 while the phantom is on.

Good day! so it's not working on H3-2D gimbal? you can use it but without fpv? just asking thanks. ^^

it seems the rear port of the hero 4 uses different pinouts. if you swap out the rear port assembly with the usb based one from an h33d you should get video. i have seen this done the other way around (putting h32d rear port on h33d). you may also want to grind a relief into the side of the zenmuse to fit the new function button.

I look forward to an instructional video showing the process or hoping DJI releases a new GoPro 4 gimbal.

Finally had the chance to fly my Phantom2 with the new Hero 4 this morning only to learn the same disappointment. Was really hoping for an easy fix.

I also have a new gopro 4 and am not getting an image on my FPV. Has anyone heard of a solution? I emailed gopro but I am sure they are backed up on responses due the the new launch. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Hello friends! I am having the same problem!!
I have a PH2 with zenmuse H3 2D. I have it originally set up for my Hero 3, which works great on my PH2.
I am testing it out now with the Hero 4 Black. (a freinds)
Another question also, what about the weight difference? The Hero 4 is very noticeably heavier. I know that the whole calibration thing between the zenmuse and the PH2 flight stabilization is very important. Any weight difference would important to address, would it not?
So it seems all the gopro sponsored people are being silent on this subject. When it seems that it would be of OBVIOUS importance.

Sorry you have all been having compatibility problems between the GP4 and H3-2D. If you can't resolve the issue, I recommend using the GoPro mini-USB port on the side, feeding the video directly to your FPV Tx. Rather than make your own cable, you can find pre-made cable for FPV in many places on the Internet. And a big plus is that using a direct feed you will have a much cleaner signal (no more white interference lines due to Zenmuse electronic noise). Here is the cable I like for my Phantoms:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190910363740?lpid=82

And no, you don't have to worry about its weight throwing off the Zenmuse servo calibration, wires getting tangled, etc.

Good luck and happy skyways, Michael

Just finished the mod/video on this guys. Hope this helps some of you out. Pretty easy/cheap to do... only down side is the floppy USB DJI part but its not that bad and you can replace it very easily/cheaply if you ever break it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wVMzF28pY[/youtube]

Thanks for this. I decided to upgrade to the H3-3D but have been thoroughly disappointed in the amount of jello I'm getting. So today I went back to the 2D, and it took me about 5 minutes to switch the ribbon cable from the 3D to the 2D.

derrickduff said:
Thanks for this. I decided to upgrade to the H3-3D but have been thoroughly disappointed in the amount of jello I'm getting. So today I went back to the 2D, and it took me about 5 minutes to switch the ribbon cable from the 3D to the 2D.

Yeah it is a super easy mod really. I'd get yourself a DuBro balancer and some M6 threaded rod to balance out those props. The gimbal won't be the cause of the Jello, its just the 2D mount/spheres are coping with supressing whatever vibration is causing it better. Be a shame to give up on the 3D for it long term.

so, im going to guess, neither a dji firmware or gopro firmware update would fix this for the 2D .. seems like maybe the work around with video or a cable that goes from gopro out directly into the Tx would work. I just experienced this today and was like WTF why is my screen black.

stevet said:
so, im going to guess, neither a dji firmware or gopro firmware update would fix this for the 2D .. seems like maybe the work around with video or a cable that goes from gopro out directly into the Tx would work. I just experienced this today and was like WTF why is my screen black.

Yep the issue is a physical hardware constraint so software/firmware mods won't work. The only true fix would be for DJI to make a new Pinout attachment to replace the old (with the new H4 pin layout). Baring in mind they didn't even make one for the H3-3D I'd say it is unlikely but then they may have used the ribbon cable/USB fix until GoPro confirmed the pinouts of the H4. This would also mean you couldn't use an H3 in it too of course.

You are correct that a standard GoPro USB -> VideoTX cable will work but because the Zenmuse motors are very sensative I'd suggest not going that route. Any tension on that cable (or the weight of it alone) will strain the internals and if the cable got snagged it could burn the gimbal out (let alone glitch out while you are flying).

Given the cost and ease of this mod it is well worth it IMO (I paid £2 inc VAT for the DJI part so like $5)

Dewey,

Thank you for the video, just what I needed. One quick question, would there be an advantage to taking a Dremel tool and grinding a notch in the far right portion of the back plate of the gimbal so that the ribbon cable would come out straight rather than making the hard right angle turn when exiting the back plate of the gimbal.

Or does the hard right angle prevent the ribbon cable from being pulled out of it's socket inside of the back plate?

I'm just wondering about relieving stress on the ribbon cable and having vibrations shorting out the cable and causing a damaging short circuit.

Thanks again for the video, much appreciated.

Buk said:
Dewey,

Thank you for the video, just what I needed. One quick question, would there be an advantage to taking a Dremel tool and grinding a notch in the far right portion of the back plate of the gimbal so that the ribbon cable would come out straight rather than making the hard right angle turn when exiting the back plate of the gimbal.

Or does the hard right angle prevent the ribbon cable from being pulled out of it's socket inside of the back plate?

I'm just wondering about relieving stress on the ribbon cable and having vibrations shorting out the cable and causing a damaging short circuit.

Thanks again for the video, much appreciated.

No probs! It'd do no harm cutting a slot but then these ribbon cables ar pretty tough so i don't think they will wear too quickly. Depends how often you remove the camera i guess. If its a lot then it'd be a wise mod. I am going to buy a few more cables as back up too just in case,

DeweyAXD said:
Just finished the mod/video on this guys. Hope this helps some of you out. Pretty easy/cheap to do... only down side is the floppy USB DJI part but its not that bad and you can replace it very easily/cheaply if you ever break it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wVMzF28pY[/youtube]

Awesome, I just ordered 2 of these, since I have both a H3-2D and H3-3D version one and was pretty **** annoyed to find out the gopro 4 didnt work via fpv.

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers