H3-2D is just too expensive and too fraglile

Reaction score
First off, I'm a fairly experienced flyer of all kinds of RC models over the past 10 years.
Nothing has given me more pleasure however than flying Hex and Quadcopters - especially with the ability to capture stunning high definition aerial video as well as really cool FPV.

My current quad of choice is the Phantom 2 (non-vision) with Zenmuse H3-2D, iOSD mini, 2.4 GS & iPad app, Immersion 5.8GHz TX and Fatshark Predator V2 goggles.. Anyway - I have had 2 serious crashes in the past 2 months - probably my fault both times where the H3-2D has suffered terminal damage in each case. After the first crash, I did some research and worked out that it was more cost effective for me to get a new P2 and H3-2D combo pack rather than a new H3-2D. Especially given the cost of spare battery and other spares.

After a few great flights, I managed to do it again and now number 2 is toast - If I'm lucky, I just may be able to salvage enough bits from each to make a frankenstein gimbal.

My point is though, that even though the P2 is pretty forgiving in terms of surviving tree strikes or hard landings etc., the H3-2D just isn't. I simply can't afford to keep replacing the gimbal and now I am thinking about sacrificing the quality of the Zenmuse and going for the much cheaper Tarot gimbal... obviously I'd like to stop crashing and hard landing but these things will happen from time to time and I just cannot justify around AUD$500 in gimbal replacement costs each time.

Wondering what my fellow Phantom pilots think?

one of my friends recently pointed me to an Etsy-like site where people sell homebrew, 3d printed things and there's actually quite a bit of Phantom & drone stuff on here. I only mention it because I'm seeing a lot of Zenmuse Gimbal replacement parts, perhaps you could get a replacement part for the pieces that broke without paying huge amount?

http://www.shapeways.com/makerdiy/drones?li=nav

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20