H3-2D Gimbal pitch control not working with Phantom 2

Reaction score
I, being a very very new person to this stuff, decided to purchase a phantom 2 with the H3-2D gimbal off of Amazon via seller Red Rock USA.

I had no problems getting everything assembled and installed (not much to do on this version) but even after updating all the firmware with the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant 1.08, I am unable to control the pitch. I've tried both of the pitch control "holes" with a flat head screwdriver... neither works. My controller model is a DJ6 and I'm not aware of any firmware updates that need to be done.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Have you tried updating the transmitter?If it is a recent transmitter then it will have a usb port on the bottom.Use the Phantom rc assistant software downloadable from the dji website.

westray said:
Have you tried updating the transmitter?If it is a recent transmitter then it will have a usb port on the bottom.Use the Phantom rc assistant software downloadable from the dji website.

Yes. I had it the transmitter plugged in and powered on running the Phantom 2 assistant software. It said no update was needed.

If I'm assuming correctly, this is an X1 channel issue? I know when I have the P2 itself plugged in and I run a calibration, the X1 channel remains fixed and I cannot do anything to move it. I've tried both of the potentiometers on the transmitter and I just can't get it to work. Red Rock USA has been in contact and they suggested that I download the H3-2D software, which I did and It will not recognize it. So they have suggested I talk to DJI directly to see if they can help me figure it out. If not, it could be defective and I will have to get a replacement.

I would still appreciate any suggestions. My thought is that maybe a connector is loose or misplaced inside the P2?

I wasn't meaning the phantom 2 assistant software I was meaning the phantom rc assistant software v1.0 on the download site.Plug your transmitter into this.

westray said:
I wasn't meaning the phantom 2 assistant software I was meaning the phantom rc assistant software v1.0 on the download site.Plug your transmitter into this.

I did that too. All channels except X1/pitch control move.

One last thing,and I don't mean to be patronising,but is the gimble switched on in the phantom assistant software

westray said:
One last thing,and I don't mean to be patronising,but is the gimble switched on in the phantom assistant software

Yes. It is. The gimbal itself is working properly and stabilizing like it should. I just have no pitch control.

Ok.Sorry but I have run out of ideas.I know some people had trouble with the pin that goes from the tilt lever to the potentiometer on the circuit board not making good contact but you said in an earlier post that you had tried moving the pot with a screwdriver.Did you have the transmitter case open when you adjusted the top pot?

westray said:
Ok.Sorry but I have run out of ideas.I know some people had trouble with the pin that goes from the tilt lever to the potentiometer on the circuit board not making good contact but you said in an earlier post that you had tried moving the pot with a screwdriver.Did you have the transmitter case open when you adjusted the top pot?

Yes. I had it open. I did notice that when I first received the P2, the pitch lever was moving a bit too freely, so I cracked open the casing and the pin wasn't sitting inside of the pot like it should. I tested the pitch control while the casing was open. I might try it again.

Here's a look inside the transmitter.

I'm leaning towards something on the MCU not being attached in the proper place...

Attachments

• 2014-01-02 09.55.19.jpg
    2014-01-02 09.55.19.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 3,097
I had the same issue! While the pitch on the gimbal worked out of the box, it stopped working after a firmware update. I thought I broke the x1 switch as well. It had lots of play too. I even considered buying both a new gimbal as well as a new controller, despite the almost $450 impact to the wallet.

I started troubleshooting connecting to the p2 assistant software, all controls but x1 were registering (note that you have to be in Naza m mode to access gimbal calibration function within the advanced tab of assistant software). I then tried to connect rc assistant software where the x1 was registering. Perplexed, I disconnected the rc from the computer and plugged the p2 back in to see if the x1 switch was registering there, no joy!

In the p2 assistant app I found an x1 calibration button in the gimbal tab of the advanced window, moved the switch from one to extreme to other and voila, the pitch control via the x1 switch worked. I would post a screen shot where the tab is, but I am away from desk.

Everything has been working fine since.

Poke around and look for the x1 calibration button, maybe basic tab, not sure though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same issue! While the pitch on the gimbal worked out of the box, it stopped working after a firmware update. I thought I broke the x1 switch as well. It had lots of play too. I even considered buying both a new gimbal as well as a new controller, despite the almost $450 impact to the wallet.

I started troubleshooting connecting to the assistance software, all controls but x1 were registering. I then tried to connect rc assistance software where the x1 was registering. Perplexed, I disconnected the rc from the computer and plugged the p2 back in to see if the x1 switch was registering there, no joy!

In the p2 assistance app I found an x1 calibration button in one of the tabs and clicked on it, moved the switch from one to extreme to other and voila, the pitch control via the x1 switch worked. I would post a screen shot where the tab is, but I am away from desk.

Everything has been working fine since.

Poke around and look for the x1 calibration button, maybe basic tab, not sure though.

That's great and all, but my X1 isn't even registering. I've tried all the software and nada. I'm getting replacements from where I purchased and I will make sure to not update the firmware on the gimbal until I can make sure its working.

hi everybody,

I have the same problem

If anybody can solve the problem, please write it here.

I have done everything but it is not working.

Thanks

As I experienced the same issue, I am very sympathetic to this issue.

A couple questions?

Have you enable Naza-m mode? This will give you access to calibrate the gimbal within the advance tab of Phantom Assistant software.
If so, have you activated the x1 calibration button and received and 'finished' notice? Twice I clicked and nothing happened. Then a third time, the calibration started and my pitch control returned.

If yes to all above and still no control, check out a possible solution posted in the rcforums link below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 01&page=17

I had the same problem with brand new P2 and H3-2D.

After spending quite some time to get the USB drivers installed/working I finally managed to
update all firmwares. This fixed the downwards pointing gimbal problem. But still no control of
X1 camera tilt.

It appears that there are two different unrelated problems concerning the tilt control:

1. (All) Firmware versions must be updated and after that channel has to enabled/calibrated
in the Phantom assistant software.

2. Mechanical / electrical problem with the RC unit.
- the lever feels really loose
- The X1 lever pin does not reach the potentiometer
-> the potentiometer has been damaged during manufacturing
(the legs are bent and thus it sits too deep in the casing for the pin to reach it.)
If you compare the two pots (X1 and the one below it you can see the difference)

Jasketti said:
1. (All) Firmware versions must be updated and after that channel has to enabled/calibrated
in the Phantom assistant software.

That was the easy part. I'm wondering if there was a firmware update for the RC itself?

2. Mechanical / electrical problem with the RC unit.
- the lever feels really loose
- The X1 lever pin does not reach the potentiometer
-> the potentiometer has been damaged during manufacturing
(the legs are bent and thus it sits too deep in the casing for the pin to reach it.)
If you compare the two pots (X1 and the one below it you can see the difference)

I figured that the X1 pin was not reaching the pot when I cracked it open. However, when I did get it to turn, it did NOTHING to control the pitch, which led me to believe that this was either e defect in the RC unit or maybe a wiring error in the P2 itself. For all I know, this could be a result of the firmware update on the H3-2D.

However, when I did get it to turn, it did NOTHING to control the pitch

That is why I belive the pot is cracked. At least mine appears to be. I manged to get it
"work" for a short while by pressin it a little more than normally. Mine looks exactly the
same as yours, look at the pot front leg, its been bent and when I inspected my pot I figured
it was broken as the top part was loose (not connected to the bottom). Easy to compare to the
pot below which is ok.

There was also FW update for the RC.

These are all the latest FWs

Latest firmwares (10.1.2014) upgrades:
-----------------------------------------

Main controller: 1.08
Receiver-Phantom: 1.0.0.0
P330CB:1.0.1.19
Gimbal CMU: 1.0
Gimbal IMU: 1.8

RC: 1.0.1.11

My RC must be faulty then because I cannot get a firmware update for it. Nevertheless, I've shipped it back and am getting a brand new one. I will definitely keep you guys updated on my progress when I get the new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic