H3-2D firmware upgrade (1.8) ruined my gimbal!

Reaction score
I was hoping this firmware upgrade would make the tilt control better but instead, my gopro is always facing a little down, and when i adjust the pitch to the bottom, it actually looks behind the P2. The real issue comes when I turn the quad. I read of it described as "horizon drift", but its really bad! I turn left, the gimbal starts rolling right, and not just a little. When watching FPV, it looks like the p2 is about to flip and fall out of the sky. Check it out:

http://youtu.be/-QLHgGRxYuM

I have tried using the RC assistant software and calibrating, then using the P2 assistant software to calibrate as well. No luck. I dont know if im doing the calibrations wrong or what, but nothing I seem to do seems to make this any better.

Does anyone know of a way to revert back to old firmware, or has anyone else experienced anything like this? For filming use, I feel like my P2 is now useless. I refuse to waste my time contacting my dealer (dronefly.com) because I already know what they will do, charge me $99 + cost for a new H3-2D. F- that.

The new firmware isn't the issue. I am running the latest firmware without a problem. But there are a lot reports of issues after applying the update so you're in that boat. I would first disconnect the gimbal and then try to calibrate X1 so that you get -1,000 to 1,0000 consistently in the assistant software. Make sure the RC firmware is also updated. Then we need to find a way to redownload the firmware into the gimbal.

My experience over the past week is this :

I noticed the update for the RC Assistant released on February 20th, and thought that maybe using the RC Assistant for Mac, would fine tune the gimbal's tilt, it has always been a little too abrupt for my videography.

After the upgrade I was unable to calibrate, using the P2 Assistant, the gimbal seemed to have a delayed and weak motion when trying to control it through the X1 channel.

I contacted B&H (it was within a 30 day warranty period) and was told to send the gimbal back, I have.
However I now realize that the X1 channel may have been the problem, since it has ceased to work altogether on my DJI Phantom 2 RX controller. I took apart the controller, and noticed that directly manipulating the potentiometer has no effect.

I found another RX controller on Ebay, binding on the Phantom 2 is apparently much easier, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYic0Z6fZ8w so getting a replacement controller should be straightforward. I may try to go ahead with a control knob mod on the controller, since I now have 2 controllers :( Following this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hStYq2vatM, I ordered a 10K ohm Split Shaft 3-Pin Single Linear Rotary Taper Potentiometer off of Ebay, And I will probably solder it together, since in effect, my original RX controller is now crippled.

So now I have a replacement Zenmuse h3-2d, on the way (thank you so much B&H, that company is top notch to deal with) that I may or may not have needed.
I had about 20 flights prior to the upgrade that were flawless. There was no real reason to upgrade the RC Controller or the gimbal, but I felt maybe I should.

The old adage "If it's not broke don't fix it" surely applies here. I work in embedded systems and software, I seriously would like to review the QA and Release process of DJI, I would probably be disappointed. I can agree with you, an upgrade of the Gimbal and a non nessecary controller upgrade has my Phantom 2 in an inoperable state at this moment. I can sympathise with your frustration.

Embedded systems and software will certainly have a more rigorous QA process than DJI does with the Phantom. That said, where were you when they built the I drive system in my BMW? It's buggier than a termite nest! I'd guess that DJI's level of production hardening and QA process is similar to that of the PC/mobile phone industry. The only problem is that these things are in the air and thus errors in criticial functionality tend to have a more dramatic impact. Pun intended! As for the Zenmuse, it is from another company which gets you into the classic hot potato finger pointing scenarios that impede integration.

tonym206 said:
I was hoping this firmware upgrade would make the tilt control better but instead, my gopro is always facing a little down, and when i adjust the pitch to the bottom, it actually looks behind the P2. The real issue comes when I turn the quad. I read of it described as "horizon drift", but its really bad! I turn left, the gimbal starts rolling right, and not just a little. When watching FPV, it looks like the p2 is about to flip and fall out of the sky. Check it out:

http://youtu.be/-QLHgGRxYuM

I have tried using the RC assistant software and calibrating, then using the P2 assistant software to calibrate as well. No luck. I dont know if im doing the calibrations wrong or what, but nothing I seem to do seems to make this any better.

Does anyone know of a way to revert back to old firmware, or has anyone else experienced anything like this? For filming use, I feel like my P2 is now useless. I refuse to waste my time contacting my dealer (dronefly.com) because I already know what they will do, charge me $99 + cost for a new H3-2D. F- that.

Have you checked your settings in the Assistant Software? Is your gimbal switched to "On" in the settings? If so, change it to off - this switch is for if you're using a third-party system.

[quote="nintendrone64"Have you checked your settings in the Assistant Software? Is your gimbal switched to "On" in the settings? If so, change it to off - this switch is for if you're using a third-party system.[/quote]

Oh man... I am pretty sure its "on". I will try that tonight and hopefully get to feel like a *******! Though im pretty sure it was also "on" before I updated the firmware and was working fine.

I was wrong. The setting was in fact "off". I tried disconnecting the gimbal, calibrating x1 and the rest of the rc, reconnecting and calibrating, and its doing the exact same thing. I did the calibrations in both the RC and P2 assistant softwares.

No response from DJI yet. Dronefly has actually blocked me on facebook because a month or so ago, I posted on their wall a little story of my experience with their customer service. Apparently they didnt appreciate dissent. I ended up making up a new facebook account and explained what was happening and posted the video to see if theyd respond. Nothing yet. Im 95% certain they wont take this **** thing back like B&H did for mstuart.

I swear Ive had nothing but problems with my P2. Ive had it 2 months and have already had to replace all 4 motors, and now my gimbal is messed up. I will accept responsibility for 3 of the motors from one crash in particular. They probably didnt need to be replaced but I thought I heard a noise in each so out of caution, I replaced them. Just before that happened, I had to have 1 motor replaced because it just straight up failed mid-flight. This gimbal thing only started after I updated the firmware. No crash involved!

I love flying this thing. Probably more than I should. But godamnit this thing is becoming more of a pain in my *** than anything. Anyone want to buy this money-pit of a P2 off of me! Im tempted to try to recoup what I can and switch over to a Blade so my support can come from the local hobby shop instead of having to try to scour the internet for answers and wait however long for a response from the manufacturer, or be told by my distributor that my only option with them is to ship my quad to them, pay them $99 and probably another $370 for a new gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20