Guide for beginners

Reaction score
Well I have had my P2V for almost a week flying it almost 2 times a day (gotta love vacay :)

I am one of those guys who loves procedures and stuff, so I put together this little guide for beginners like me to learn and practice safe flying. So far has worked so maybe it can help other beginners out there.

First things first ------

1- The vision is a flying toy with a lot of power so it can be dangerous if out of control, the P2V needs to be taken seriously. I believe flyways and accidents can be 100% prevented.

2- These phantoms are never tested, your are the one flying it for the first time, so make sure you test this A LOT before moving on

In addition, this is what I have done to avoid accidents and losses while enjoying my phantom to the max while a beginner.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Learn. Read every manual, every post here and watch every video out there regarding this bird. Some of the problems I have seen here are related to pilots going for the moon on their first flight or just pushing the Throttle up without the knowledge needed nor understanding the limitations of the quad or themselves as pilots

- Think of safety as a Pain in the *** protecting your investment and others around you. precautions, procedures and stuff are never fun, but they do work, will save you money and will increase the fun!

- Understand the P2V Limitations. This is a basic and simple principle. "Pushing the limits increases your risks"

- Start by picking 2 flying sites using this criteria:
-No water
-No People
-No power Lines
-No cell towers
make your first few flights are in these 2 places until you know your quad is stable and you can handle things comfortably before moving in to populated and challenging areas. (after my 10th flight I was ready to move on and I was sure my phantom was stable)

- On every flight, take off and just hover and watch the behavior of the phantom before moving in to maneuvers and stuff. Whatever you see wrong land and look either for help or go to your flying site number 2. When I went for my first flight I noticed my phantom was jerky when correcting for wind, so I did not feel comfortable and landed and looked for a different place to fly just to make sure it was not interference. when I drove away with my car I saw a cell tower just behind some trees I was not able to see when I picked the site, I am sure I was in for a big surprise should I have not hover and watch for any abnormal behavior.

- Limit your altitude and maneuvers. start by just going up to 30 feet first and increase altitude by 10 - 15 ft each flight, your goal is not video and pictures but to feel comfortable maneuvering, maneuver this a lot very slow not going up more than you need to at first

Memorize this and use it as a check list before every flight:

EASTp

E = Extender (if you are flying a vision) "on"
A = APP (if you are flying the vision) "Running"
S = Switches S1 and S2 "UP"
T = Transmitter "ON"
P = Phantom "ON"

Reverse this same checklist to shut it down and finish your flying session.

P= Phantom "Off" (Battery Off)
T= Transmitter "Off"
S= Switches S1 and S2 "UP"
A = App (If flying vision) "Close"
E= Extender (if flying vision) "Off"

Safety for take offs and landings:

- This is a rotorcraft, all take offs and landings HAVE to be up and down, not at an angle.
- Your ground speeds should be "0" (Zero) - (Airplanes land with speed not quads)
- If windy, forget about greasy landings, put the thing down for landing and push hard for take offs, if you do not take off quick or land quick in windy conditions a gust will flip your phantom

- Test your phantom thoroughly and make sure all functions work.

- Charge your batteries accordingly and as specified in the manual and change your transmitter batteries every 4 to 5 flights.

I would say that after 10 to 15 flights You can start looking in to more challenging locations, by then you will know your toy so well that you will know what to do if something goes wrong. If you practice safe flying you will be doing your part at avoiding an accident and you will enjoy your phantom even more

Hope this helps.

No disrespect Sir, but your belief that flyaways are 100% avoidable is akin to the Easter Bunny. It's cute and cuddly but doesn't exist. The only way to prevent a dji phantom flyaway is to not power it on. Thank you for the checklist just the same.

That was a pretty harsh reply to someone who spent a lot of time putting together a nice guide for beginners.

Thanks for the guide. I guarantee you more people appreciate it than post replies.

DrestonF1 said:
Thanks for the guide. I guarantee you more people appreciate it than post replies.

That statement is certainly true. I have seen it in action on a number of forums, youtube etc etc. There are a wide variety of forum users.

We have

1. Hardcore contributors who get pleasure from helping others. Often with great patience.(Destined for Sainthood)
2. Hardcore contributors who get grumpy but still manage to help others. Often with sarcasm.
3. Pioneers with crazy ideas who take the whole hobby forwards in giant leaps. (Sometimes killed in action R.I.P)
4. Idiots whose posts command attention due to the shear stupidity of their actions.
5. Newbies desperate to learn and even more desperate to contribute something back (Saints in the making)
6. Newbies who think they know better (Who we all secretly want to see killed in action D.N.R.I.P)
7. Secret lurkers who take but never give back.......(You know who you are :twisted: )

Anyways thank you for your list sir, it is dam useful ;)

Hi, nice checklist overall. Though one thing I can tell you for certain is changing transmitter batteries every 4 flights is beyond excessive and not necessary. My initial dozen flights were on a set of previously used energizer batteries I had in a RC car and even then I had no loss of range and the controller remained with the green light. Your voltage is running low when the light goes red and gives you warning beeps. I've also since moved to using a set of Sanyo XX eneloop 2500mah batteries for the controller and they have been working flawlessly, will function in extreme cold and hold their charge for years if just sitting idle.

One other thing regarding take off and landing. Take off can be fairly quick (just not full throttle quick). I would not suggest trying to land too fast. Just make sure the Phantom isn't drifting and once you're an inch or two above the ground push it down.

I apologize if my reply was harsh, and I too appreciate the time taken to write such a piece. I would expect, however, that if you are taking the time to write such a helpful post that you would want it to be completely accurate. "Flyaways" are not completely avoidable. They are happening to people for various reasons, some of them after updates and checked off lists. I just wouldn't want someone reading this to expect their phantom to fly perfect everytime as long as they follow a checklist. You have to have a contingency plan in place in case (when) it does fail, either a "return to home, or atti mode" response because these things can do a respectable amount of damage to something or someone that it decides to land on.

I am one of the lucky that is recovering from am unexplained flyaway. I can tell you that I now fly it differently. Yes, I still have a great deal of fun with it, but I also have a new found respect for it and constantly practice regaining control if need be.

I do agree that there are a bit too many checklists on this forum that can confuse new pilots. While most of them are helpful, some of them are opinion based, because it has worked for them up to date.

DronePeter said:
Another one who thinks that new owners can not read a manual.
New owners should read to quick start guide which is delivered in the box, further everything is already well explained on the official DJI website with video.
There are already many guides to start.
Please stop !
People will start to get confused if everybody start to develop a manual or a guide.

No hard feelings mate.

Let me correct you on a few points. 1) The quick start guide that came with my phantom 2 vision is grossly inadequate for use as ones only reference for readying your Phantom for flight. 2) The actual user manual is only available as a download from DJI's website and has had several revisions and updates of the contained information since initial release. 3) Even the manual itself is still inadequate on its own and lacks valuable information that can be helpful to new as well as semi experienced Phantom Pilots. 3). Some check lists people make are not just opinion from their personal experience but may also contain conclusions based on a conglomerate of information from varying sources and other persons experience. Said information can not be found in most manuals or documentation. 4). The support page for the P2V lacks most information on Naza which would need to be found in support documents to original Phantom.

To summarize, You have the wrong attitude towards people trying to submit information they deem to be helpful. Attitudes like that will only put off others from trying to be of helpful which would be nothing less than a great loss to the community at large. Instead try adding something constructive should you disagree with anyone's "lists" so they can maybe update correct or enhance said list as opposed to just calling the whole thing bs.

Shrimpfarmer said:
DrestonF1 said:

That statement is certainly true. I have seen it in action on a number of forums, youtube etc etc. There are a wide variety of forum users.

We have

1. Hardcore contributors who get pleasure from helping others. Often with great patience.(Destined for Sainthood)
2. Hardcore contributors who get grumpy but still manage to help others. Often with sarcasm.
3. Pioneers with crazy ideas who take the whole hobby forwards in giant leaps. (Sometimes killed in action R.I.P)
4. Idiots whose posts command attention due to the shear stupidity of their actions.
5. Newbies desperate to learn and even more desperate to contribute something back (Saints in the making)
6. Newbies who think they know better (Who we all secretly want to see killed in action D.N.R.I.P)
7. Secret lurkers who take but never give back.......(You know who you are :twisted: )

+1 (in spades)

DronePeter said:
BenDronePilot said:
To summarize, You have the wrong attitude towards people trying to submit information they deem to be helpful. Attitudes like that will only put off others from trying to be of helpful which would be nothing less than a great loss to the community at large. Instead try adding something constructive should you disagree with anyone's "lists" so they can maybe update correct or enhance said list as opposed to just calling the whole thing bs.

I am sorry but I can't help it that you are an ******* and that you can't accept that some other people don't agree with you.

Everybody has the right to give his or her opinion. Not everybody has to see things your way. Grow up man!

Sorry Peter, but based on the language and attitude of your reply. You are the one who needs to "grow up".

Ital86 said:
No disrespect Sir, but your belief that flyaways are 100% avoidable is akin to the Easter Bunny. It's cute and cuddly but doesn't exist. The only way to prevent a dji phantom flyaway is to not power it on. Thank you for the checklist just the same.

Thanks for the input. Everything (mathematically speaking is avoidable), and if is not and I am wrong still there is nothing wrong with being extra cautious. I am sure you agree.

DronePeter said:
Another one who thinks that new owners can not read a manual.
New owners should read to quick start guide which is delivered in the box, further everything is already well explained on the official DJI website with video.
There are already many guides to start.
Please stop !
People will start to get confused if everybody start to develop a manual or a guide.

No hard feelings mate.

I agree that maybe more information than needed can create confusion, I do however believe that there are a few missing pieces for beginners that's all. Great observation btw!

gunslinger said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
DrestonF1 said:

We have

+1 (in spades)

+2 (Also in spades) :)

Oh dear, Dronepeter's potty mouth puts him on my FOE list. Now onwards and upwards for everyone else who manage to play nice around here and contribute to the discussion. :twisted:

Shrimpfarmer said:
Oh dear, Dronepeter's potty mouth puts him on my FOE list. Now onwards and upwards for everyone else who manage to play nice around here and contribute to the discussion. :twisted:

My foe list keeps emptying itself out... As they get booted... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

****, my flyaway was "mathematically avoidable?" I knew I should've paid more attention in high school!.....

Ital86 said:
****, my flyaway was "mathematically avoidable?" I knew I should've paid more attention in high school!.....

Yeah... If you'd have aced Algebra II, you would have been able to convince the PV that it was mathematically impossible for it to pull a flyaway. I'm sure it would have listened and quietly complied... NEXT time... quit ogling teacher's jugs and keep your nose in the book !!! :) :lol:

I've just upgraded my keyboard... Like the one Adam uses (but his has more of a kick to it).

iDrone :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 387

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member