Groundstation max range

Reaction score
Is there a way to go further than the 500m max range on the ground station ? Apologies if there are already numerous threads on this, I'd like 3-4km range.

Quick question, when you set your waypoints height, is that height above sea level or the land you are on ?

I'm fairly certain that it's the land your on. The point at which your Phantom takes off. If you are at your Phantom launch point and you have a 20' drop off (cliff) two feet in front of you, you launch the Phantom 5' in the air and you go forward 3' past the edge of the cliff, your altitude should show 5'. If you lower the phantom 6' on the other side of the cliff, your altitude will be -1'.

It's the height above your home point -- which is hopefully on the ground where you took off.

Ouhh, because I sent it on a mission and it didn't come back, battery was at 90% and the route was 160000ft, I was thinking it collided with the ground, but perhaps it ran out of power before it made it home ??

It won't return home if it has less than 6 satellites either.

From experience do you any of you think your phantoms would be able to make the 16000ft route, taking off with 90% battery and set to fly on fast ?

I would think it would be close, mine will fly 700m away before losing signal and returning home. That would be 4200ft round trip and flying straight there and back would only take a few minutes. 16000ft round trip without high winds should only take 10-12 min, full charge shouldn't be a problem but at 90% it may have landed but probably not far from you.

Reactions: gingericeman
Thanks Mako, it will narrow my search down. I'm going to bring my second phantom and fly the route but backwards and not in groundstation mode. Second time I've lost this bird , hopefully she'll fly again :)

Do you remember what % your battery had at the end of that flight? If I recover my bird I'll put the video up for all to see

No, honestly I don't remember. Everything was fully charged when I took off. I don't believe I was much under 30% but I'm not certain. Was a bit spooky when I lost FPV and control. It took a good minute before I got it back. It is risky so be as careful as you can. I'd love to see the vid when you get it done!

It certainly is risky, but when it comes back you tell yourself it was worth it and like me end up pushing it that bit further. I noticed though in a screenshot I took before it was fully gone that it was flying 90foot lower on upon reaching waypoint 2 than I had set it to, that's got me scratching my head and worrying.

Yup if I retrieve her I'll put the footage up alright, out first thing in the morning.

Wouldn't you think the thing would head home if it figured it would run out of batteries? Not on ground station. It just flys away and does the route until it either finishes the points, hits something or dies. Start with a short mission and work your way up. If you don't go crazy it's a lot of fun.

Just an update, when you set waypoints it's ft above sea level, I used a screenshot taken from the drone and I added the height above the ground to the height above sea level and they add up to the height I set for the phantom to fly at at waypoint 2. So I believe the phantom flew straight into something.

To clarify, the height of way points is based on AGL (altitude above ground level). AGL is set by your starting point/home point, which is 0m on the ground. If you have a natural change in elevation over the course of your mission, it is not accounted for when setting subsequent waypoints. Say you set one far away at 100 ft high, but the change between the elevation between your home point in there is 50 ft, then your phantom will only be 50 ft from the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl