Grounding Drones with Outdated Firmware

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any DJI drone models that stay grounded if they haven't had a mandatory firmware upgrade? If not, could a future firmware update add this feature? For example, if there was a serious flaw found in the code of some drone model, could the manufacturer force the users to update to a new firmware version? Thanks in advance for any information.

DJI sometimes forces firmware updates now. It only happens if running the Phantom Assistant while connected to the Internet though.

I'm assuming they can do it on all Phantom models that are able to connect to the Phantom Assistant application. Older Phantoms use the Naza-M Assistant Software -- which is similar. So, they can probably do it there too.

They are going to release a mandatory update to prevent Phantom Vision drones from flying in Washington DC. Can they prevent a drone from taking off if it is has not been updated to the new mandatory firmware? Otherwise, people could just refuse to update and keep flying in the restricted area.

I think you can only refuse the update by turning off your Internet connection. It probably auto installs as soon as you start the Phantom Assistant when connected to the Internet. (I did not install it yet.)

Even if installed, you could install Phantom Assistant v2 and roll back to v2.x of the firmware. You would not be affected by the flight restrictions then.

So have you flew your drone yet since this "mandatory" firmware has been released? Its funny how they call it "mandatory" but yet its easily avoidable.

I did not install it yet. It's been in the 20's where I live. Way too cold to fly :)

I'm just wondering if you have flew your drone without the update since the update was released. I'm interested to see if the drone would take off without the mandatory update. Thanks again for the info :).

Yes, the Phantom will still take off even if you don't install the updates. The Phantom does not know it's missing updates until it connects to the Phantom Assistant.

I connected my P2 to the Assistant this morning while connected to the Internet. Saw the update, but didn't install it and it wasn't forced on me.

Thanks msinger for the help.

Does anyone know if the original Phantom models can have mandatory updates?

wattsawatt said:
Thanks msinger for the help.

Does anyone know if the original Phantom models can have mandatory updates?
:D
I'm not aware of any model's mandatory updates. That is easily controlled by the user.
:lol: You control the assistant version and the bird's plug.

^ I second this
No one can force us to upgrade the firmware on our phantoms if we don't want to

wattsawatt said:
Great thanks for the information. Though I do see mandatory updates being forcible in the future.

Not likely as they would be a bunch of pissed owners if the firmware didn't work as it should(e g crashing phantoms and more flyaways)

Amazing how dumb people are. Unless DJI comes to your house with a gun, nothing is "mandatory".

I'm running 1.08. I bought a new PV2+. It had all kinds of flight restrictions in it. I installed 1.08 problem solved. Ground station does not work but I don't care. I bought it to fly it. Not program it.

myvrodrocks said:
Amazing how dumb people are. Unless DJI comes to your house with a gun, nothing is "mandatory".

I'm running 1.08. I bought a new PV2+. It had all kinds of flight restrictions in it. I installed 1.08 problem solved. Ground station does not work but I don't care. I bought it to fly it. Not program it.

Mind sharing with me how you do that(pm me)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers