Ground Station...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This was on Facebook... iPad Ground Station??? This won't work on a phone, or Android??? :( :( :(

iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
This was on Facebook... iPad Ground Station??? This won't work on a phone, or Android??? :( :( :(

iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay.

-slinger

Is a couple of lines on this one already slingmeister ;)

GMANNZ said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Is a couple of lines on this one already slingmeister ;)

DOH! Sorry about that... :oops: :oops: :oops:

-slinger

Did not notice that bit about making it compliant with international UAV regulations - if they are just starting that process now then it would appear that two weeks is very, very optimistic ! Also agree that I hope it is made available for Android although I am still not convinced that it is a good idea to make it available for free as I reckon it will cause many crashes when people enter waypoints with obstacles in the way.

pault said:
Did not notice that bit about making it compliant with international UAV regulations - if they are just starting that process now then it would appear that two weeks is very, very optimistic ! Also agree that I hope it is made available for Android although I am still not convinced that it is a good idea to make it available for free as I reckon it will cause many crashes when people enter waypoints with obstacles in the way.

what does releasing the app as free or paid have to do with causing people to crash when entering waypoints? Im confused.

tizzl10 said:
pault said:

what does releasing the app as free or paid have to do with causing people to crash when entering waypoints? Im confused.
Yeah, I did think of clarifying that but thought it might appear a bit long winded ! Just meant that if it was a paid for addition it would only attract users that were seriously interested in it or had a use for it. If it is available for all and may even come bundled in upcoming firmware releases, people may just casually have a go without fully engaging brain. As it is, I genuinely believe it will be the cause of accidents. Many years ago I did a night school course in marine navigation and it was remarkable the number of people who had no grasp of waypoints and the courses to be steered between them. This Ground Station function will presumably be very easy to set up and I assume they will use Google maps and then you just place waypoints onto the map. This map will not show all the obstacles en route between waypoints so it will take some careful checking that the route is safe. The majority of Phantom pilots will have no problems but there will inevitably be some who just merrily place their waypoints, set their P2V off on its journey only for it to end in tears.

Just my pov

gunslinger said:

I'm another waiting for Android news.
I bought an AR drone 2.0 because plastered all over it was "Android/IOS" compatible.
I was extremely upset to find the android app support was almost a joke, often 2-3 versions (or 6months+) behind the IOS version. I bought their GPS+waypoint module on its release and guess what?, IOS only for first 7months.
I personally have 4 Android devices so I let my mate and his son fly it now, as they are an "apple" family, and it works really well for them.
I had to download 3rd party apps to get close to the IOS features and it properly p***ed me off as the developer simply ignores forum posts/e-mails asking about android progress.
Really hope this doesn't play out the same way because I can't take all the excuses again :roll:

It's great that we're hearing about progress on the groundstation again though, although I'm now more curious about these
"new drone laws".

Tim.

I seem to recall some news from dec last year, where DJI promised an upcoming POI flight planner for the Vision? They have removed the news section completely from their site now, anybody recall the news?

From DjI Facebook from three days ago regarding Ground Station for Phantom 2:

"The updated iPad Ground Station app has now been submitted to the App store for review. This is a 3-5 working day process and while we don't expect any issues, the final say belongs to Apple. "

"The Vision waypoint system will be launched shortly after Ground Station for the Phantom 2."

"The two waypoint systems are effectively identical, except that Ground Station is an addon for the Phantom 2 that will require the addition of a Bluetooth downlink and an iPad app, while the Phantom 2 Vision will be able to fly waypoints natively through the Vision app."

You mean this? Does look a bit fishy indeed.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 447
In the comments on FB

Kenny Rutherford Has anyone else noticed the modified landing skids on the photo used in the waypoints ad? They appear to be bowed outward slightly more. Could this be the P3?
March 19 at 9:25pm · Edited

DJI Global Kenny, we just used a stock Phantom image from our database. Likely this is one that has been modified.
1 · March 19 at 10:48pm

They'd hardly admit to it even if it was a pv3 but sure its good to get a new conspiracy theory going, im getting sick of the Malaysia air mystery :)

Pull_Up said:
I know for a fact it can't be the new Vision, because the new Vision is cloaked...

I think there's a lot of P1 owners that will confirm "cloaking" has been an unwanted feature on the Phantom for some time. Only discreet tracking systems can penetrate the absoluteness with which it becomes invisible.

Perhaps the Chinese decided that instead of working and spending to make all their military hardware stealthy, it would just be a lot funnier to make all of our gear disappear at the worst time. Brilliant. Movie rights to that idea available through my publicist.

OI Photography said:
Pull_Up said:
I know for a fact it can't be the new Vision, because the new Vision is cloaked...

I think there's a lot of P1 owners that will confirm "cloaking" has been an unwanted feature on the Phantom for some time. Only discreet tracking systems can penetrate the absoluteness with which it becomes invisible.

Perhaps the Chinese decided that instead of working and spending to make all their military hardware stealthy, it would just be a lot funnier to make all of our gear disappear at the worst time. Brilliant. Movie rights to that idea available through my publicist.

Our gear, their gear... Make us buy it, send it in the air, then hack (actually just access, since you can't change the encryption) into the video feed. Very clever indeed! :lol:

:geek:
pault said:
tizzl10 said:
pault said:

Yeah, I did think of clarifying that but thought it might appear a bit long winded ! Just meant that if it was a paid for addition it would only attract users that were seriously interested in it or had a use for it. If it is available for all and may even come bundled in upcoming firmware releases, people may just casually have a go without fully engaging brain. As it is, I genuinely believe it will be the cause of accidents. Many years ago I did a night school course in marine navigation and it was remarkable the number of people who had no grasp of waypoints and the courses to be steered between them. This Ground Station function will presumably be very easy to set up and I assume they will use Google maps and then you just place waypoints onto the map. This map will not show all the obstacles en route between waypoints so it will take some careful checking that the route is safe. The majority of Phantom pilots will have no problems but there will inevitably be some who just merrily place their waypoints, set their P2V off on its journey only for it to end in tears.

Just my pov

Darwin's Theory at work advancing the species.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik