Ground Station Test

Reaction score
Set up a test mission to determine how well (or not) the new feature works.........

It went flawlessly.....impressive, but somewhat nerve racking watching your investment off on its own!

Super new feature!

http://tinyurl.com/phantommission

Also switched to NAZA M mode and tried IOC......both course and home lock......another super addition.

Panamon Creel said:
Geert said:
Nice video.
But the prop guards are killing this beautiful video.

Geert./.

And might kill the Phantom as well down the road ;)

+1

I appreciate everyone's concern, but ;
1. The video was not done to create a beautiful video ....it was to document a mission and since I used the medium speed on the mission, the guards were visible.....not so when I am flying for photo or video scenes.

2. I use guards, because it is prudent to do so and I have never had a negative experience of flight characteristics because of them.

There are so many folks anti-guards and there is no proven reason for it other than it is more macho and foolhardy to fly without them.

Could the weight have a slight effect on flight time,........likely, but having flown both ways the difference isn't worth talking about.

I do know how to control the phantom and camera to achieve a "beautiful video".....with or without prop guards.

Here is a "quicky" I just through together from some recent clips.....guards were on for all flights.

http://tinyurl.com/randomphantomscences

rgsinsc said:
I appreciate everyone's concern, but ;
1. The video was not done to create a beautiful video ....it was to document a mission and since I used the medium speed on the mission, the guards were visible.....not so when I am flying for photo or video scenes.

2. I use guards, because it is prudent to do so and I have never had a negative experience of flight characteristics because of them.

There are so many folks anti-guards and there is no proven reason for it other than it is more macho and foolhardy to fly without them.

Could the weight have a slight effect on flight time,........likely, but having flown both ways the difference isn't worth talking about.

I do know how to control the phantom and camera to achieve a "beautiful video".....with or without prop guards.

Here is a "quicky" I just through together from some recent clips.....guards were on for all flights.

http://tinyurl.com/randomphantomscences

I don't use them for two specific reasons, neither of which is macho or foolhardy...they're actually about safety.

1) I've read enough "after the crash" stories on this forum to know that it is highly likely that the use of prop guards contributes to VRS which in real terms means the chance of a bird falling like a rock out of the sky and potentially causing serious damage to itself, property or people. The damage caused in this scenario wouldn't be because I didn't have prop guards.

2) We know that prop guards act like sails in the wind and if caught in a sudden breeze they could impact flight performance in such a way that even at top speed the bird cannot gain enough ground to return home. I've read where this has happened and people mistakenly call it a fly away when in fact it's a result of the prop guards. This again could mean I end up without control and potentially have a drone drifting until it decided to crash or land.

I think it's a broad statement to say people are just bing macho or foolhardy when some of us do have research behind our decisions.

^^ How do we know in the scenario you described in 2) it would of made it without the guards ?

I had the guards for a while. No negative affects either. Descending at full speed (the lowly 2-4mph) and just slowed her down/stopped every know and again. Perhaps some people are holding down for abit to long .Evan on very windy days it managed to still hover around and what not.. Sure they have more surface area to catch the wind but I don't think saying its like a sail is fair either :p but yeah they obviously do catch more wind.

Some people have the Phantom fall over every time with the guards, some say the same butwithout the guards... If you read that you would think the Phantoms must be crap, but most of are us have diff experiences and can land without it tipping over.

Anyways I've had them off for a week or so now.. doesn't fly like a diff device, for me, well maybe a little... but yeah What you are saying is true, however for newbies like myself I think the prop guards are a must.. My first few weeks I would bounce tree's/whatever.. now I've done 30+ flights I've improved skills abit and don't crash into items anymore :p *touchwood*
If someone takes it out of the box (update firmware, do all the stuff) and go for first flight.. if you crash into anything it will just drop like a rock and god knows what would break. Atleast with guards it just bounces off (in some cases).

justin00 said:
^^ How do we know in the scenario you described in 2) it would of made it without the guards ?

We don't. But based on what more experienced pilots (and aerodynamics) say, my chances would be better. I was simply giving my personal reasons for not using guards and trying to say we shouldn't just assume everyone who doesn't use them are being macho and reckless.

I personally am starting to find the name calling and belittling of other people on this forum exhausting. Why can't we just enjoy good conversations about this hobby without sinking to the lowest common denominator, name calling, like school kids on the playground.

Are you talking about my post?
I have re-read it a few times and honestly don't see any of what you mentioned... If you are getting that vibe from me/my vibe post I sincerely apologize. It wasn't my intention.

I was just commenting on the prop guards as I think they are important for new fliers. I ruined my first set of props in my first few flights. This second set has been fine for 40+ flights.

Anyways apologies again if you felt any negativity directed to you at my post.

rgsinsc said:
Set up a test mission to determine how well (or not) the new feature works.........

It went flawlessly.....impressive, but somewhat nerve racking watching your investment off on its own!

Super new feature!
I agree on both accounts - both impressive and nerve racking. I particularly like flight plans where the phantom is sent off in one direction (north, for example) and it returns from another direction (west or even south, for example).

justin00 said:
I have re-read it a few times and honestly don't see any of what you mentioned... If you are getting that vibe from me/my vibe post I sincerely apologize. It wasn't my intention.

I was just commenting on the prop guards as I think they are important for new fliers. I ruined my first set of props in my first few flights. This second set has been fine for 40+ flights.

No no mate. The OP. You said nothing wrong, haha

*wipes away tears* ah thats good :)
oh well at least now i have covered apologizing for any future insults lol :p

job2310 said:
justin00 said:

No no mate. The OP. You said nothing wrong, haha

Sorry, but prop guards are for sissies! :)

There really is no reason for prop guards on a Phantom since it's meant to be flown outdoors. I actually agree that prop guards are a very good idea for smaller quads that are flown indoors since you are constantly flying into walls and stuff and there is no wind to catch the guards and blow it off course. Deluding yourself into thinking prop guards will protect your bird in case it runs into buildings or trees is foolhardy at best. Just the G-forces involved in a crash are enough to cause catastrophic damage to a $700 camera + gimbal so why worry so much about protecting a $20 set of plastic props? Makes absolutely ZERO sense, bud.

Take them off and fly like a man like the rest of us. Learn how to hand-catch and you'll never have to worry about props hitting the dirt. :p

^^^ lol :)

I still disagree. The landing thing.. ok I dont understand that. If you are landing on flat surface and not much wind no reasom you cant land without tipping. I really don't understand all the threads on this. You should be able to hover off the ground fairly close.. the whole prop wash thing...... maybe mine is broken and it lets me hover without interferance....not saying i'm so good blah blah just stating what my phantom (and many others lol) can do.

Anyways where I think guards are important....when I first got I went to small parks, didnt go high i just wanted to concentrate on moving it laterally. On many occasions when it wasnt in the forward direction I would get confused (which I still do now!!) as to which way to move right stick and It would hit a tree branch or something. With the prop guard it just bounces off casually and you carry on flying. If prop hit it I imagine it woukd fall to ground ya? So possibly god knows how much $$ damage. In hindsight I should of been flying at a soccer field or something like that..but for whatever reason I didn't..

Anyways I dont see the big deal having on when new...who cares. If its very windy and they might catch wind don't fly in extreme wind.

MadMitch88 said:

There really is no reason for prop guards on a Phantom since it's meant to be flown outdoors. I actually agree that prop guards are a very good idea for smaller quads that are flown indoors since you are constantly flying into walls and stuff and there is no wind to catch the guards and blow it off course. Deluding yourself into thinking prop guards will protect your bird in case it runs into buildings or trees is foolhardy at best. Just the G-forces involved in a crash are enough to cause catastrophic damage to a $700 camera + gimbal so why worry so much about protecting a $20 set of plastic props? Makes absolutely ZERO sense, bud.

Take them off and fly like a man like the rest of us. Learn how to hand-catch and you'll never have to worry about props hitting the dirt. :p

You could not be more wrong and should stop telling guys not to use prop guards and to hand catch.It is extremely irresponsible. For the newer guys, especially those who have not flown before, the prop guards can be the difference between major damage to their Vision+ and next to no damage at all except for a broken prop guard. I have personally seen several occasions where newer flyers using prop guards saved themselves what probably would have been a large repair bill or worse by having them on. And a couple of those crashes were at high speed. There is a reason DJI sells them and they are widely used, and it's not because the users are not men "like the rest of us".

That being said, once you have some flying experience and can land effectively and safely, you shouldn't need the prop guards.

You probably only fly in wide open spaces with no trees or structures of any kind. Lots of us don't have that option.

Hand catching is extremely unsafe and dangerous. There are multiple videos online showing cuts and gashes quad owners have gotten from it. And some of them are of experienced pilots who thought like you do. Good pilots don't need to hand catch. Landing is easy once learned properly, even on ground that is not level. Learn how to properly land your quad and you won't need to put your arms, eyes, fingers and hands at risk of being mutilated by four extremely sharp rotors turning at thousands of RPMs EVERY time you fly. You never know when a gust of wind could come up just at the instant you are about to grab your quad. Or if you are going to trip or lose your balance as you step to grab it. I've seen no place in the training manual or Vision+ user manual where DJI recommends, endorses or even mentions hand catching as a method of landing. I wonder why?

Jstic said:
MadMitch88 said:

You could not be more wrong and should stop telling guys not to use prop guards and to hand catch.It is extremely irresponsible. For the newer guys, especially those who have not flown before, the prop guards can be the difference between major damage to their Vision+ and next to no damage at all except for a broken prop guard. I have personally seen several occasions where newer flyers using prop guards saved themselves what probably would have been a large repair bill or worse by having them on. And a couple of those crashes were at high speed. There is a reason DJI sells them and they are widely used, and it's not because the users are not men "like the rest of us".

That being said, once you have some flying experience and can land effectively and safely, you shouldn't need the prop guards.

You probably only fly in wide open spaces with no trees or structures of any kind. Lots of us don't have that option.

Hand catching is extremely unsafe and dangerous. There are multiple videos online showing cuts and gashes quad owners have gotten from it. And some of them are of experienced pilots who thought like you do. Good pilots don't need to hand catch. Landing is easy once learned properly, even on ground that is not level. Learn how to properly land your quad and you won't need to put your arms, eyes, fingers and hands at risk of being mutilated by four extremely sharp rotors turning at thousands of RPMs EVERY time you fly. You never know when a gust of wind could come up just at the instant you are about to grab your quad. Or if you are going to trip or lose your balance as you step to grab it. I've seen no place in the training manual or Vision+ user manual where DJI recommends, endorses or even mentions hand catching as a method of landing. I wonder why?

Hand catching is very easy and should be recommended. There is zero risk of tipover, there is zero risk of dust getting blown into the motors and it you stand upwind of the quad at slightly above head height and let it hover, it's easy to walk up to it and grab a leg. Therefore it's my preferred way to land. On my P2V, I used to tip over quite often upon landing, damaging prop tips.

It's everyone's choice. Mine is to hand catch, yours isn't.

hand catching is dangerous?
If You care about your bird, hand catch it, there is no problem since it is controlling stable flight wery well. If You have problems with hand catch, then You shoult NOT fly with these birds.
There are safer hobbies, like polishing wood or smthng.

That's interesting, why people flying these things, still unaware, what impact with ground and sudden windgusts means.There are plenty on suggestions, waht say - fly slowly, think, think twice, take Your time, Then only mechanical problems will occur as problems.

Don't want to get into a pissing contest over this, but besides HAVING to land on a deep slope, there is really only ONE reason to risk injury by hand catching. You can't land your quad on the ground properly after each flight. So please, spare me the "if you have problems with hand catch, you shouldn't be flying...". If anything, the opposite is true. It takes more skill to land on the ground than to grab the quad out of the air. I like landing, it's part of the challenge. No offense to anyone, but if you can't land your quad on the ground without tipping over or worse, you don't have the hand/eye coordination that is necessary to do it. Even in windy conditions it is not problematic, especially in GPS mode.

The simple truth is there have been multiple injuries from hand catching, some serious, and there will be more and more over time. I have yet to see anyone get hurt from attempting a ground landing. You can argue about the merits of hand catching all day long, but that fact will not change.

If hand catching was the proper and safe way to land, DJI would be recommending it and endorsing it in their literature. They do not.
From the DJI flight training manual, page 4: THE FAST ROTATING PROPELLERS WILL CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE OR INJURY, ALWAYS FLY THE QUAD 3M OR ABOVE AWAY FROM YOU.

If you hand catchers value your $30 propellers more than your fingers or limbs or eyes, that is your choice. Recommending hand catching to new quad owners is not the best idea.

I reckon hand-catching should probably be in the all-round pilot's repertoire, for instance when flying over terrain that is way too sloped or too bushy for a proper landing or if flying from a boat. But I think if hand-catching is your sole means to bring back your copter safely, then sooner or later your number may be up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31