Ground Station Software to iPad Ground Station Synch

Reaction score
Is it possible to make waypoints via PC software and then synch to iPad. I want to cover a sizable area and would like to "pre-program" the route(s). Please let me know if anyone has some insight. Thanks

You mean like creating some route templates on the PC, then having them available for use on the iPad? Neat idea, but I don't see any way in the software to do that. I'd love to find out I'm just missing something though, because that would be an awesome feature.

I just got the IPad ground station in hopes it would be straight forward install to my Phantom 2 Vision.... Well Im a bit foggy at the moment.

Question: Do I need to install the 2.4 data link in the P2V to the canbus port on the MC or is that not required?

If that is required then the canbus plug on the MC requires a converter pig tail of some sort i guess?

If not then how do you get the P2V exiting hardware to see the 2.4g data link?

Firm all the searching around I have done have not seen many people that have the P2V working with the iPad ground station.

Any help would be great

Thanks

J

I think you bought the wrong product. I'm pretty sure the Ground Station works with all the DJI models *except* the Vision - eg, it's designed for those models that use 2.4GHz flight control and 5.8GHz video. The Vision is the opposite.

The Vision already has an integrated two-way communication between the phone and the flight control system - using the camera's standard Wi-Fi connection. It doesn't need this whole "Bluetooth piggybacked on flight control signal" stuff to achieve this.

What we are missing - as Vision owners - is the long-promised app update that will give us Waypoint capability using our existing Vision hardware, nothing extra. We've been waiting for this since December.

So if I'm getting this right..... the P2V does not need the data link at all... the P2V has everything it need to work as far as hardware it is just larking the software on the ground station end to support it.....

I'm really disappointed that DJI's documentation of this is so poor on this...

Yes, we're waiting for the Vision-equivalent Waypoint software (whether that's a separate Ground Station app, or an addition to the existing Vision app we're not sure yet). Also waiting for a Vision firmware update, I believe. But the Vision already has the hardware necessary - a two-way data link between the phone and flight controller. We know that link already exists, because you've always been able to enable Accelerometer Sensor Mode in the Vision app, and rotate your phone to make the aircraft Yaw right/left.

I agree that this has been confusing, poorly-communicated, and poorly-documented by DJI. Having said that, the online specs for the existing Ground Station and Bluetooth Data Link do list the specific flight-controllers they support:

"Flight control systems supported:
2.4G Bluetooth Datalink: ACE ONE, WKM, NAZA-M, NAZA-M V2, Phantom 2;
iPad Ground Station: WKM, NAZA-M, NAZA-M V2, Phantom 2;
"

But of course you'd have to know that the Phantom 2 and the Phantom 2 Vision are different, incompatible flight control systems...

jimre said:
I agree that this has been confusing, poorly-communicated, and poorly-documented by DJI. Having said that, the online specs for the existing Ground Station and Bluetooth Data Link do list the specific flight-controllers they support:

"Flight control systems supported:
2.4G Bluetooth Datalink: ACE ONE, WKM, NAZA-M, NAZA-M V2, Phantom 2;
iPad Ground Station: WKM, NAZA-M, NAZA-M V2, Phantom 2;
"

But of course you'd have to know that the Phantom 2 and the Phantom 2 Vision are different, incompatible flight control systems...

LOL... Well I would not say I knew that when I bought the $200 ground station...... But I do now. Thank you all for all your comments. It helped. Now ill just have to get a P2 to use with my new ground station as I wait for this Software update to drop.

When you get lemons make lemon-aid! :D

I bought the Vision too thinking the ground station would be compatible. I quickly returned the vision and just got a Phantom 2.

Couple questions:
1) Where is the best place to mount (velcro, zip tie, etc) the 2.4 Data Link antenna on the Phantom?
2) I've looked around the web and it looks like some people are placing both the ground antenna and the air antenna on the Phantom... Is there not enough info that people are just mounting them wrong? Or am I missing something? LIke they are FPV devices? The user manual for the ground station antenna *Notes* read that one is on the ground and one is in the air. Please advise.

Thanks

One airside unit and one ground unit each with an antenna. Maybe your are seeing a fpv antenna on the phantom along with the ground station antenna.

Yeah, you're not seeing groundside antenna on any Phantom. That antenna is a 5" long "rubber duck" type antenna on a fairly large aluminum box.

Wow... This is yet another DJI communications fiasco. You have to be at least the fifth person I've heard of who's bought Ground Station for the P2V. DJI has obviously put all P2V initiatives on the back burner as they're dealing with the new kid on the block. I still have my eyes on the "Flying Eyes" Q2 and can't wait for it to be released. I'm not sure I want to stick around and deal with DJI long term.

-slinger

tjgreen2 said:
Is it possible to make waypoints via PC software and then synch to iPad. I want to cover a sizable area and would like to "pre-program" the route(s). Please let me know if anyone has some insight. Thanks
The only way I can get WP from the PC GS to the Ipad GS is by connecting both at the same time to the Phantom, upload the WP to the Phantom then click "Go". Only then would the WP show up on the ipad. By that time the Phantom would already be on it's way. I have not poked around this too much. Maybe it's possible in Simulation mode.

Please be aware that the flying height is based on the ground height from Google Earth. It may not truly represent the true height.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4