Ground Station route Looping

Reaction score
Question - During a multi-waypoint route set to "Looping" , what ground speed & altitude does the copter assume after the final waypoint while it's returning to waypoint #1 to begin route again ?

Does it keep setting for the last waypoint or switch to setting for waypoint #1 ?

My bird is MIA so I can't run a flight sim. Trying to narrow the search area for the missing bird. I miscalculated the flight time and it didn't have enough battery to make it back.

Here's what I had:
3 waypoints
Set to Looping
Alt 50 meters
Vert speed 2.0mps
Speed on each point:
1-4.5mps , adaptive turn
2-7.0mps ,stop & turn 2 sec
3-3.0mps ,stop & turn 2 sec

Thanks in Advance for your help !!

Warden135 said:
Question - During a multi-waypoint route set to "Looping" , what ground speed & altitude does the copter assume after the final waypoint while it's returning to waypoint #1 to begin route again ?

Does it keep setting for the last waypoint or switch to setting for waypoint #1 ?

My bird is MIA so I can't run a flight sim. Trying to narrow the search area for the missing bird. I miscalculated the flight time and it didn't have enough battery to make it back.

Here's what I had:
3 waypoints
Set to Looping
Alt 50 meters
Vert speed 2.0mps
Speed on each point:
1-4.5mps , adaptive turn
2-7.0mps ,stop & turn 2 sec
3-3.0mps ,stop & turn 2 sec

Thanks in Advance for your help !!

Sorry about the lost bird.

Couple of clarifying questions:

1. Did the bird complete the first loop and was it on a second (or more) loop? - It sounds like it didn't even make it around once?
2. The first turn was adaptive - if you think about your chosen flight path - the normal turn is a sharp angle... the adaptive turn cuts the corner a LOT - were there any trees on the inside part of that corner it could have caught? I put a bird way up in a tree that way when messing around with adaptive turns
3. what were the distances between waypoints?

Buckaye,

It didn't complete the first loop. I did not account for the return time from waypoint #3. First leg past my #1 - which I use for altitude right beside me - was 3089m. Next leg was 235m then return. Flight time was around 9:38 , but not including return. That's where I messed up. I had good FPV signal out past 1600m. My altitude and speed looked good at that point. There was a slight elevation difference between takeoff & destination but 50m should have cleared it. Battery was at 69% at 1600m+ outbound. I lost FPV and datalink connection and when i realized what happened I couldn't get it turned around. Some friends of mine at a camp near the last point heard it, so I'm confident it made it to point #3.

If I could get someone to plug this same route into GS and run it in SIM - we could see what altitude and speed it uses to return in the "looping" phase of the route. Thus - helping me narrow down what is a fairly large search area.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.PNG
    IMG_0228.PNG
    544.8 KB · Views: 735
Warden135 said:
Buckaye,

It didn't complete the first loop. I did not account for the return time from waypoint #3. First leg past my #1 - which I use for altitude right beside me - was 3089m. Next leg was 235m then return. Flight time was around 9:38 , but not including return. That's where I messed up. I had good FPV signal out past 1600m. My altitude and speed looked good at that point. There was a slight elevation difference between takeoff & destination but 50m should have cleared it. Battery was at 69% at 1600m+ outbound. I lost FPV and datalink connection and when i realized what happened I couldn't get it turned around. Some friends of mine at a camp near the last point heard it, so I'm confident it made it to point #3.

If I could get someone to plug this same route into GS and run it in SIM - we could see what altitude and speed it uses to return in the "looping" phase of the route. Thus - helping me narrow down what is a fairly large search area.

I can give it a shot tomorrow can you send the coordinates?

My guess is it can be only one of two speeds... The last speed you programmed...or the default speed (8.9 mph)

But I'll give it a try for you to see.

If the speed was consistent I'm guessing you were about 40% battery when you made the turn at waypoint 3... A wild guess would be that it force landed right about where that green area turns to brown...you'd be between 20 and 10 percent there...

But like I said... Send me the coordinates and I can at least verify the loop speed tomorrow

Not sure exact lat/Lon without mapping it. Shouldn't have to be a route larger than a couple acres to see what the default is. Pick any points you want & run the loop in SIM - should work ??

Tried to get a friend to try it but he has a vision & that GS app isn't the same as ours.

Ok will giv it a shot tomorrow and will let you know

Warden135 said:
Not sure exact lat/Lon without mapping it. Shouldn't have to be a route larger than a couple acres to see what the default is. Pick any points you want & run the loop in SIM - should work ??

Tried to get a friend to try it but he has a vision & that GS app isn't the same as ours.

Hey... Just ran a simulation (had never done that before) and on the return leg of the loop it used the speed to the last waypoint. So heading to waypoint three I set a 15 mph speed... Once it passed that and was traveling back to point one on the loop it maintained the 15 mph speed

Warden135 said:
Thanks ! Great info ... The search continues.

Good luck man

Warden135 said:
Thanks ! Great info ... The search continues.

On a related note... I cannot figure out why they make you attach a phantom to run simulation mode. What the heck is that about?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl