Ground Station??? Does it work with P3P? Whats it for?

Reaction score
Admittedly I am a noob at the hobby, so bear with me... Does Ground Station work with the P3P, or is it for an older model? I'm confused as I see lots of references to it, but am not sure what the deal is.

I've read older models of phantoms allowed preprogrammed flights, but now they don't, but then I see and hear about people using Ground Station, which leads me to believe it's for the previous models or something.

Can someone give me the quick and dirty on the whole thing please?

Thanks!

You can read more about Ground Station here. Like I said though, it's not compatible with the Phantom 3.

For Android users GS lets you create waypoints and missions offline on a PC. You use them by running the Litchi app (in place of DJI Go) on an Android tablet or phone to control your bird.
Litchi was released first for Android, but is now also available for IOS, so I'd expect that support for GS will eventually come to Apple devices.

For Android users GS lets you create waypoints and missions offline on a PC. You use them by running the Litchi app (in place of DJI Go) on an Android tablet or phone to control your bird.
Litchi was released first for Android, but is now also available for IOS, so I'd expect that support for GS will eventually come to Apple devices.

Been looking into litchi a little, got the app this morning and have watched a couple vids on it. So this totally replaces DJI Pilot right? What about all the fail safes and such, is that all handled with it? I guess do you trust it as much as DJI Pilot?

Like most people, I started out with DJI Go and have seen it improve quite a bit over the last few months. But I'm now getting acquainted with Litchi and find that I personally like it a bit better. And of course DJI Go doesn't have anything like GS.

You do have to be careful with GS missions. If there are hills, trees, etc. then you have either know their (relative) altitudes accurately, or else be willing to fly waypoints with a big safety margin in altitude. I had a near collision with a tree-top avoided at the last second when I saw it in the video.

As for Litchi reliability, I think it's now been used by enough people in a variety of situations there aren't many serious bugs left in it. I would guess that it is the most used alternative to the Go app on the P3.

Reactions: Deep6 and huntjock
Well, I've created a couple of waypoint missions around my neighborhood. One is a photo mission to take a trip around the new train station being built nearby, my plan it to fly this weekly then compile the pics into a flip book type video in a year or so when its done. Using Litchi GS will enable me to take the same pictures from the same spots over and over. The issue I have in flying it manually, is to get down to a low enough altitude to take a decent pic, I lose signal through the houses nearby. I was able to fly the mission once before the snow hit and it worked great. I actually drove over there, took off, flew back to my start point above my house then initiated the mission from a wide open place from where I retained signal for the mission. This enabled me to monitor everything the first time. Then I went back home and initiated the mission again, during which time I did lose my signal as it dropped to 100 feet at the far end of my run. I was super nervous, but every few seconds the position indicator would jump a little further down the line letting me know that she was still executing the mission, and I would see flickers of video here and there. Within a few minutes, the photo run was over, she popped back up to 300 feet, and I was able to monitor the rest of the flight home! I spent the evening tweaking the camera angles and heights as well as extending the run a little. Looking forward to flying this again when it warms up!

Still snowing... So I have created another mission, this time video, to fly around the small lake nearby. I tried to do this last week with the DJI Pilot app, and the 500 meter limit would not allow me to set waypoints on the far shore, cutting me about 100 feet short over the lake. I suppose in retrospect, I could have reset my home point out over the water somewhere, then I could have reached all around it within 500 meters, sketchy!!! Anyway with this new "Trip around the lake" mission, I fly over to it at 400 feet from my house, then swoop in to 120 feet which is my lowest limit for the first flight. I plan to review the video and make altitude adjustments after the first flight. At this point I expect to lose signal completely as there is neighborhood 50 houses deep between me and the edge of the open spaces around the lake. From there maintaining 120 feet, she will navigate through 20 some waypoints covering about 8,000 feet of travel which includes a short run over the water and around a tiny island in the middle, before popping back up to 400 feet, where I should regain signal, and flying home. At just a hair over 2 miles total for the trip, I am expecting to be dark for 3-4 minutes or so... I also plan to physically go over to the lake the first time and monitor the entire flight from a location that I can maintain control and oversight.

Thanks for all your help getting started!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj