Grinding sound on moror power up after crash?

Reaction score
After a crash, that became an everyday reality - when I rotate the motors, either manually or for take off; there is a grinding sound in the motors. It disappears very soon after and is away until the phantom has stayed idle for some time - then grinding sound again.

Is it endangering the phantom?

one or all ?

any grinding sound is not good, do the motors turn by hand freely ?

sounds like some crud has got inside.

Don't fly with crud in motors. You'll crash again at some point, if you do!

Reactions: cnynctry
Two or three; one the most. After idle for a few hours or less; as I wither turn them on electrically; or by hand (either way); there is grinding sound - only for a few turns. Then it goes away and yes, they rotate freely. Crazy! I left it with the official Bulgarian DJI dealer and they said to just fly.

How to clean them?

If you can narrow it down to one motor, take it apart and clean. I had a magnet come loose on my first phantom. That was a pain but I fixed it.

Two or three; one the most. After idle for a few hours or less; as I wither turn them on electrically; or by hand (either way); there is grinding sound - only for a few turns. Then it goes away and yes, they rotate freely. Crazy! I left it with the official Bulgarian DJI dealer and they said to just fly.

How to clean them?

Sounds to me like bearings starting to fail.....look into replacing those....2 bearings per motor fyi.

Is it expensive?
They can be somewhat costly, the higher the quality the more the price will be.....if i remember right a set of ceramic bearings (8 total) "Boca Bearings" for the p2 were about $120....and a set of lower quality ones were about $40.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4