Great weekend

Reaction score
With the recent heat wave in the greater Chicagoland area I decided to maiden my p3p this weekend. Saturdays forecast of 32F and light winds was too good to pass up. I've had my phantom grounded since I gifted myself over the holidays. Putting the props on was a bit confusing at first. The phantom warmed up in no time from a super cold imu calibration a couple weeks back. Compass calibration went well, but I wasn't sure I did it properly, so I redid it. I initiated csc and hovered at 4ft for a minute in awe of the first flight and I noticed the gimbal shaking and then it went away after 30 seconds or so. Is that normal? I didn't notice the shake after a few minutes of doing light maneuvers. The first 5 minutes was flown in beginner mode while I was getting used to the flight characteristic of the phantom. Mind you I have around 60 flights with my trainer the dromida vista. I landed and took off again with the beginner mode off and messed around with the fpv flying. My galaxy note 5 handled the go app well. After a total of 10min of flying I called it a day. I went home with a huge smile on my face. With all the horror stories I've read I was cautious and a bit paranoid, but all in all it went butter smooth. I charged my other 2 batteries I have and went out again on Sunday the temperature was in the upper 30s and the winds were around 8mph. This time out I wanted to experiment with the RTH so I went out los 200ft and activated rth. It rose to the preset rth alt of 45m which I set prior to the flight and once it achieved the altitude it turned around facing me and fly what seemed pretty fast towards me. I don't know how fast it was going because I was paying attention to the phantom rather than the phone at this point and I got nervous it might fly away or something so I cancelled rth. How fast is the default speed in which it returns? I should've let it play out but I didn't feel comfortable. When I cancelled rth I regained control and landed manually.
On my 3rd and last battery I flew out 1500ft and climbed to 400ft just to see how well the range is and I am impressed. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't hear the quad or see the it. The possibility of me losing control or a random fly away where I destroy the quad or never see it again made me sick to my stomach I flew back as quickly as I can and landed and called it a day. Now I'm at home in the comfort of my living room feeling the high of the adrenaline from flying as I am typing this with a BIG SMILE! I just discovered a new love and joy! I don't think I will ever get sick of flying fpv. I definitely need a tablet with a larger screen!!

I would like to Thank all the wonderful people that have contributed to forums where the answers to questions and knowledge is infinite. I have learned so much before my maiden it set me up for a good first time experience! This has to be the best investment in fun I've purchased period :D

Reactions: RZR_Jim
Love my P3Pro , Inspire 1, Osmo ,only shame the WEATHER here,I live in UK ,not CALIFORNIA ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know the exact speed but it comes back at a pretty good clip. If it didn't stop once it got back to you (it will), you can cancel the RTH then.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Patience while flying is the key to save the craft. First time I used my Fpv goggles, I lost the track of the craft but was composed still as I knew if I take off my hand from the RC, p3 will hover at a point and after I am back to senses I can get it back. I looked at the diamonds on the Fpv goggle screen, turned the craft to point diamond to center and moved forward. Few minutes later P3 was flying over my head and I started liking props noise :)

I will again say success in getting your p3 back lies how composed you remain during flights. Be attentive to messages.

Forgot to mention on my second takeoff on the same battery I got a yellow warning I forgot what the exact words were, but it had to do with gps. I was flying in a forest preserve surrounded by small lakes and I was getting 17 satellites at most. After a few seconds the yellow warning went away and I took off. When I changed the battery it locked gps right away.

Could solar flares or something along that line interrupt the gps momentarily?

Nice dude , glad to see you finally got that thing out the house. I been flying in this winter as well, typically when we are in the 30s. Though I don't do my long ranges unless we are in the 40s at least

Yeah man, I finally got to fly and it was awesome. I can't wait to try it in some wind to see how well the phantom can handle it. My guess is flight times won't be as long on windy days due to the on board processor working hard to keep it stable.

It "cruises" back at about 20-21MPH. Most don't realize how far straight up you have to look at 145 feet above your takeoff point. It amazed me, and I've been flying a while. It will actively brake as it reaches the home point, and descend to auto land. You can control the P3's position during this time, and even slow or halt its descent with the "throttle". I've found that auto land with VPS enabled is very gentle. It even accounts for ground effect in the last foot.

SD

Still bored at work. Another graphic.
RTH.jpg

Reactions: FLOATFLYER
It "cruises" back at about 20-21MPH. Most don't realize how far straight up you have to look at 145 feet above your takeoff point. It amazed me, and I've been flying a while. It will actively brake as it reaches the home point, and descend to auto land. You can control the P3's position during this time, and even slow or halt its descent with the "throttle". I've found that auto land with VPS enabled is very gentle. It even accounts for ground effect in the last foot.

SD

If I remember correctly I was able to control yaw during rth, but I'm not 100% certain. When I cancelled rth as you suggest the phantom was doing 20mph when it came to an abrupt stop. I didn't expect the rth speed to be so fast. Would the rth speed be altered if my batteries were let say under 30%?

If I remember correctly I was able to control yaw during rth, but I'm not 100% certain. When I cancelled rth as you suggest the phantom was doing 20mph when it came to an abrupt stop. I didn't expect the rth speed to be so fast. Would the rth speed be altered if my batteries were let say under 30%?
During RTH, you can yaw, change altitude and position as it returns to its home point. A tap of the RTH button at any time will cancel the RTH, and the P3 will hover in place if no control input is present.

SD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31