Great drone from a lousy company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How can a company that makes a brilliant drone like the P3P be such a rubbish company to get help from? I had a great P3P for less than a week then made the mistake of upgrading the firmware to 1.2.6 and have had nothing but problems ever since. It takes ages for me to finally get a connection to fly with. It tells me the UMI needs calibrating (is the UMI the drone?) but Ive done that loads of times. It sometimes says something about intialising the UMI or the Gyroscopic balance being out of range but I can't fogire out what this all means or how to sort it out. I read about people rolling back to the previous firmware but still cant figure out how. Surely DJI know about this and should get a replacement FW out asap? I tried their online tech support.... what a laugh! Continual automated messages telling me to wait a moment please - forever!

I am losing heart very quickly and despite having a drone I dreamt of and paid a huge sum of money (to me) for, am now concerned I could have an expensive doorstop! The qualityt of video when it flies is awesome but I am spending so much time faffing around trying to connect so that the damned thing starts its engines, I am not enjoying it at all :eek:(

Someone tell me this will end or there is a way to fix the problems....PLEASE!

Cheers,
Rob

Reactions: westlightaerial
Rob

Welcome in the real world. Yes, it is unfortunate DJI is putting their emphasis into a stellar product but failing miserably when it comes to support and customer attention. But their is nothing we can do at this point. There will a time when we can vote with our wallets but that's in the future.

Remember the old days when your country was producing a stunning car: The Jaguar. Just some models had to spend more time in the shop than on the streets...... These things happen.

I am sorry you have updated your Firmware, apparently you have not read the posts. Although I am wondering since you are member for over 7 month so you should have had a clue.

But life can get in the way..... You do not have an expensive doorstop, I am sure of that. Just refrain from using it or trying more updates. If the FW rollback scares you, don't do it! I am certain we will see a new Firmware very soon. When it comes out, you can still sit on the sidelines for a couple of days, as many here will install the new FW the moment it can be downloaded. Leave it to them to check it out and when the verdict is a positive onee, do your FW update and start enjoying your Phantom.

As it seems you are new to this, use the time to read the manual a couple of times. Read a couple of weeks worth of posts in this and other forum and watch YouTube videos about the Phantom. Just take the info there with skepticism; Just because its on the Internet doesn't mean it is true. Take your time, visit some spots where you can fly your Phantom. Imagine the shots you will do. Look for the sun at certain times, plan your shots and dream about the finished epic video you will show off here.....
You will know much more when the time comes to fly your phantom with the new FW and you will have less chances of crashing. There is always a silver lining ;)

Hang in there and make the best out of it.

Volkhard:
-
Now there's a 'feel good' post. I hope you are correct about that new firmware update coming soon. Do you know something the dealers don't ??? !!!

How can a company that makes a brilliant drone like the P3P be such a rubbish company to get help from? ... Rob

Rob:

Bear in mind that DJI is doing something very new in the RC hobby. Previously, you were expected to assemble your own (this is still more or less the 3DR approach) and to work through the resulting problems. And the controllers were bad. I used to fly RC helis when you just had gyros, and the rest was up to you and your thumbs. It was an expensive hobby. This is the world that Wang Tao started in, when he set out to make the Apple Computer of RC Helis and Drones. He's done such a good job that DJI can hardly keep up with demand. And this is because it has a new class of users that have not fiddled with RC vehicles before, so expect things to work out of the box. He's changed the market, and expectations, and is still trying to get his business model right.

Nobody else does this well at this scale, so the best advice is to study more about how the P3 works, and work through the various problems. All things considered, I think DJI does a great job; especially given that the whole firm is run by a bunch of Chinese guys that don't necessarily have that much business background or experience outside of China. Give them a few years and they will get customer service up to standards.

Just my $0.02

By the way, maybe Apple isn't the right example now that Jobs is gone. The poor rollout of Apple Music is one more sign that Apple is following Sony into the pit -- great hardware, can't do software, can't do services, can't do cloud.

How can a company that makes a brilliant drone like the P3P be such a rubbish company to get help from? I had a great P3P for less than a week then made the mistake of upgrading the firmware to 1.2.6 and have had nothing but problems ever since. It takes ages for me to finally get a connection to fly with. It tells me the UMI needs calibrating (is the UMI the drone?) but Ive done that loads of times. It sometimes says something about intialising the UMI or the Gyroscopic balance being out of range but I can't fogire out what this all means or how to sort it out. I read about people rolling back to the previous firmware but still cant figure out how. Surely DJI know about this and should get a replacement FW out asap? I tried their online tech support.... what a laugh! Continual automated messages telling me to wait a moment please - forever!

I am losing heart very quickly and despite having a drone I dreamt of and paid a huge sum of money (to me) for, am now concerned I could have an expensive doorstop! The qualityt of video when it flies is awesome but I am spending so much time faffing around trying to connect so that the damned thing starts its engines, I am not enjoying it at all :eek:(

Someone tell me this will end or there is a way to fix the problems....PLEASE!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob, its called IMU : p

Are you sure you updated the P3 correctly and the remote controller? You have to calibrate the IMU when the copter is cold on a level surface, it takes some minutes and you should not touch it before it completes with that procedure.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Rob:

Bear in mind that DJI is doing something very new in the RC hobby. Previously, you were expected to assemble your own (this is still more or less the 3DR approach) and to work through the resulting problems. And the controllers were bad. I used to fly RC helis when you just had gyros, and the rest was up to you and your thumbs. It was an expensive hobby. This is the world that Wang Tao started in, when he set out to make the Apple Computer of RC Helis and Drones. He's done such a good job that DJI can hardly keep up with demand. And this is because it has a new class of users that have not fiddled with RC vehicles before, so expect things to work out of the box. He's changed the market, and expectations, and is still trying to get his business model right.

Nobody else does this well at this scale, so the best advice is to study more about how the P3 works, and work through the various problems. All things considered, I think DJI does a great job; especially given that the whole firm is run by a bunch of Chinese guys that don't necessarily have that much business background or experience outside of China. Give them a few years and they will get customer service up to standards.

Just my $0.02

By the way, maybe Apple isn't the right example now that Jobs is gone. The poor rollout of Apple Music is one more sign that Apple is following Sony into the pit -- great hardware, can't do software, can't do services, can't do cloud.
That may be the most sensible comment I've ever read on the topic!

Reactions: westland
Rob,
Cheer up! The software will be corrected soon, and new capabilities will be added.

Rob, its called IMU : p

Are you sure you updated the P3 correctly and the remote controller? You have to calibrate the IMU when the copter is cold on a level surface, it takes some minutes and you should not touch it before it completes with that procedure.

:rolleyes:

Thanks to the very 'helpful' person who just wanted to correct my usage of the initials UMI to IMU. So sorry if I offended you by getting it wrong. Now, would someone actually answer the question for me please? What is the IMU? Is it the controller or the drone or the camera? It's all very well telling me what a lovely bunch of Chinese guys who run the company but they are selling drones at over a thousand pounds so surely I have every right to expect it to work? I am more disappointed about the fact I had a drone that worked perfectly until I did the upgrade (which I did following every instruction to the letter btw) and now am stuck with something that doesn't connect properly, takes about 5 calibration attempts to get it to work and gives me suprious error messages that I can't understand and to which I can find no reference to in the manual. I'm feeling like I am suddenly guilty of something but have done nothing wrong except dare to say something derogatory about DJI as a company!.I don't hate DJI's, their brilliant. What I hate is a firmware upgrade that doesnt work and a company that isn't approachable and has lousy customer service. I'd say that with this treatment whether it was DJI, Apple or Sainsburys!

Rob

Welcome in the real world. Yes, it is unfortunate DJI is putting their emphasis into a stellar product but failing miserably when it comes to support and customer attention. But their is nothing we can do at this point. There will a time when we can vote with our wallets but that's in the future.

Remember the old days when your country was producing a stunning car: The Jaguar. Just some models had to spend more time in the shop than on the streets...... These things happen.

I am sorry you have updated your Firmware, apparently you have not read the posts. Although I am wondering since you are member for over 7 month so you should have had a clue.

But life can get in the way..... You do not have an expensive doorstop, I am sure of that. Just refrain from using it or trying more updates. If the FW rollback scares you, don't do it! I am certain we will see a new Firmware very soon. When it comes out, you can still sit on the sidelines for a couple of days, as many here will install the new FW the moment it can be downloaded. Leave it to them to check it out and when the verdict is a positive onee, do your FW update and start enjoying your Phantom.

As it seems you are new to this, use the time to read the manual a couple of times. Read a couple of weeks worth of posts in this and other forum and watch YouTube videos about the Phantom. Just take the info there with skepticism; Just because its on the Internet doesn't mean it is true. Take your time, visit some spots where you can fly your Phantom. Imagine the shots you will do. Look for the sun at certain times, plan your shots and dream about the finished epic video you will show off here.....
You will know much more when the time comes to fly your phantom with the new FW and you will have less chances of crashing. There is always a silver lining ;)

Hang in there and make the best out of it.

Just to point out, I joined this 7 months ago because I had just bought an FC40. I then flew my FC40 for a few months and, being honest, forgot all about this forum, didn't even realise I had joined it before when I cam beack a couple of weeks ago.

I am puzzled as to how people think it is my fault for not reading about problems on forums. Is that how this all works then? Pay over a grand for a drone and camera but then you have to ask around and find out if there are any problems before you do what the manufacturer's instructions tell you to do? Saying it's my fault because I upgraded the firmware when the DJI instructions and software specifically told me to do so is rather pointing the figure in the wrong place in my opinion. To then be told the best advice is put my expensive gear back in its box for a few weeks until DJI can be bothered to sort out the problem of their own making and in the meantime to read the manual (read it cover to cover except for the bits in Chinese!) and to go around and dream about the videos I'll be able to make one day, that's frankly laughable. I did all that dreaming in the weeks and months where I learnt to fly my FC40 and saved hard to be able to afford a P2V+ (which I then forewent for the better P3Pro instead). If this field of hobby droning is so new and untried, perhaps DJI should tell us that and let us wait a while until they've figured it out before selling it to us!

Even more peeved than ever now!

Hey Rob,

Generally speaking:

The IMU is the inertial measurement unit.
A critical part.

It senses the 6 degrees of freedom that the drones have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom

When the quad is hovering the IMU is what keeps it level when combined with the motor control loops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit.

In addition the quad contains a pressure sensor- barometer, that helps maintain height or altitude, a compass maintains the direction the nose points, and the GPS provides information to maintain location to a 'point' above the ground as well as info for RTH and IOC functions.

Reactions: SteveMann
Thanks to the very 'helpful' person who just wanted to correct my usage of the initials UMI to IMU. So sorry if I offended you by getting it wrong. Now, would someone actually answer the question for me please? What is the IMU? Is it the controller or the drone or the camera? It's all very well telling me what a lovely bunch of Chinese guys who run the company but they are selling drones at over a thousand pounds so surely I have every right to expect it to work? I am more disappointed about the fact I had a drone that worked perfectly until I did the upgrade (which I did following every instruction to the letter btw) and now am stuck with something that doesn't connect properly, takes about 5 calibration attempts to get it to work and gives me suprious error messages that I can't understand and to which I can find no reference to in the manual. I'm feeling like I am suddenly guilty of something but have done nothing wrong except dare to say something derogatory about DJI as a company!.I don't hate DJI's, their brilliant. What I hate is a firmware upgrade that doesnt work and a company that isn't approachable and has lousy customer service. I'd say that with this treatment whether it was DJI, Apple or Sainsburys!

Ok, googled it and found it. It's an Inertia Measurement Unit. Fine, I understand it. I also figure that until the fw is updated with a new version, there is naff all I can actually do to calibrate it properly. Seems the 1.2.6 FW has caused it to calibrate unbelievably slowly which is why I have to wait at least 20 minutes before the thing will fly. Guess that's that then. Just gotta sit and wait. My previous comments about DJI as a company entirely justified! Let's hope their next FW sorts this out.

Hey Rob,

Generally speaking:

The IMU is the inertial measurement unit.
A critical part.

It senses the 6 degrees of freedom that the drones have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom

When the quad is hovering the IMU is what keeps it level when combined with the motor control loops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit.

In addition the quad contains a pressure sensor- barometer, that helps maintain height or altitude, a compass maintains the direction the nose points, and the GPS provides information to maintain location to a 'point' above the ground as well as info for RTH and IOC functions.

Thank you, that was extremely helpful. Really appreciate your time. :)

Cheers,
Rob

Ok, googled it and found it. It's an Inertia Measurement Unit. Fine, I understand it. I also figure that until the fw is updated with a new version, there is naff all I can actually do to calibrate it properly. Seems the 1.2.6 FW has caused it to calibrate unbelievably slowly which is why I have to wait at least 20 minutes before the thing will fly. Guess that's that then. Just gotta sit and wait. My previous comments about DJI as a company entirely justified! Let's hope their next FW sorts this out.

There's a new firmware out. Get it, update, fly your drone and stop whining.

Reactions: bbfpv
Rob

The IMU stands for the Inertial Measurement Unit. It basically detects when the Phantom is level and sends signals to the main processor which in turn sends instructions to the four Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs) which tell the props to speed up or slow down to keep the aircraft level.

If you understand this, then you'll understand why it's important to calibrate the IMU so the aircraft knows that it is level.

The IMU calibration is best done cold (in the UK is it ever anything but?) so do it at night and get the aircraft in a perfectly level state before beginning. Many guys place a spirit level across the opposing motor tips and level up the craft by shimming under the legs until the tops of the motors are perfectly level.

Make sure that there is no vibration or interference when conducting the IMU calibration.

You access the IMU calibration via the app.

After you have done this, do a compass calibration which is accessed via the app - but is NOT the same as the IMU calibration.

Let us know how you get on.

Rob

Nobody said it is your fault for not watching the forum. Sorry if your feel this way based on my reply. By now, the firmware new is out and you could upgrade your Phantom. I would still suggest, give it another day or two to see how stable it is. But even if it is not, it will allow you to downgrade back to 1.1.9 we know is reasonably stable.

DJI is not the perfect company and I wish they would do a better job in communicating. Please be aware, this is almost cutting edge technology and do not expect anything to be perfect and foolproof. Even for £1000 . For this technology you would have paid £1.000.000 just a couple of years ago.
There are issues and errors in other consumer products that are much less complex than a Phantom. We are not living in a perfect world and as long as humans are involved this will not change. But what is the alternative? I don't even like to think about that!

Progress is evolution based on experiences. The software helping us flying our birds evolves because we are having issues that can and will be fixed. Early adopters like you an me are paying the price for it but nobody forced us to buy Phantom.
I preordered a Solo from 3DR and pulled out after I saw all the issues. I still think they are a good company with a good product but at the moment they are not for me. Currently DJI's Phantom 3 appeals more to me. Time will tell.
There will be evolution in regard to the businesses. As the market matures the company with the better product and better attention to the customer will be the front runner. Today they all just trying to get some of the things right. Give it a couple of years until you can demand an completly error free product in this field. Some have the edge on the product some on the customer service but no company has it all.

I hope you are able to enjoy your Phantom flying the new firmware and DJI Go soon.

Hey bad press is not allowed here. :eek: Hopefully the new firmware will help your case out. I'm waiting on a refurbished unit to replace my brand new one that crashed in May so I hope you don't need to go through what I and others have. It's a good bird, better than many competitors but the support system is dysfunctional.

Thanks guys, sorry if I sounded too cheesed off. Hey, you all now have the sworn solemn duty of trying the new firmware and telling me if it works or whether I'm about to make a proper job of bricking my drone LOL.

You've got 48 hours.... should you choose to accept it ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Oh and giving a full report on DJI Go .... I don't ask for much do I? LOL.

I assume Go is better than DJI Pilot. It says you can only use this with the 1.3.2 FW upgrade done. Guessing there is new functionality in there too so will have to have a good read up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic