Great day Yesterday, Worried today!

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday i took my PS3 out and smashed my distance record. Achieved 1706m using only a windsurfer, previous best was 900m. Was well chuffed!

Today i went to a new location at a beach. Calibrated the compass and got ready to take off. Auto Take-Off would not work when swiped, phoned displayed a message about the compass and to contact DJI if the problem continued. I tried again and same result. I switched every thing off and on, this time it worked as normal.
I put the bird in the air but kept it fairly close (max 150m away) as i had read on here about compass issues.
Everything seamed to be going ok, fully responsive, flew for about 15mins. I then decided to put the bird in Point of View Mode (it was close to me at this point) I selected the point and moved it out the diameter, the bird then started to rotate but then disconnected from the phone. I tried to bring it closer to me to land, but it was still moving sideways when i was trying to bring it down, so i raised it again and flicked switch s2 to GPS Hotpoint mode, this gave better control but the landing was a lot rougher than any previous ones.
I was relieved the bird was down safely, and still had about 40% battery left. I tried to reconnect to the DJI Go app (iphone) but no joy. I switched every thing off and on again, everything normal so i had another flight for a couple of minutes (keep low and close) to make sure it was ok.

This was the first time i did not receive any "Strong Interference" warnings (yesterday had 269!)
I was still using the Windsurfer when point into POI mode, could this have resulted in the lost connection when directly overhead? Would have thought i would have re-connected when i was trying to land it as it was directly in front of me, even when it eventually landed it would still not reconnect to the app - i checked my wi-fi and it was connected to the P3S - had to switch all off before i could connect again.

Any thoughts on what went wrong?

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Not sure why you needed to do a compass calibration unless you were prompted to. You may have done one in an area riddled with iron that could create problems with your calibration. As for flying above yourself, unless your antenna is laid flat, horizontal with the ground, you will probably suffer a signal disconnect with or without a windsurfer.

Thanks for the quick reply, this was the first time at this location so i thought it would be a good place to calibrate the compass - on the middle of a beach away from any visible structures. During the course of the flight today, i flew past my position a number of times but never disconnected - only happened in the POI mode.
Would i be correct in saying that even although the RC disconnected from the App, the POI flight path would still be flown? Is the best method to stop this simply to switch S2?
Would you have expected the RC to re-connect when it came back to line of site with the antenna?

Thanks for the quick reply, this was the first time at this location so i thought it would be a good place to calibrate the compass - on the middle of a beach away from any visible structures. During the course of the flight today, i flew past my position a number of times but never disconnected - only happened in the POI mode.
Would i be correct in saying that even although the RC disconnected from the App, the POI flight path would still be flown? Is the best method to stop this simply to switch S2?
Would you have expected the RC to re-connect when it came back to line of site with the antenna?
I never do a compass calibration unless prompted to do so, there are numerous threads on the forum regarding uncontrolled movement and abnormal flying behaviour from calibrating in poor areas. As long as you have a green light on your controller you still have control and can can either take manual control or use RTH if need be. As for reconnecting to the craft as it got closer, if you have a green light on your controller, you have it anyway, just the app needs rebooting. Antenna orientation is everything, my old PS3 was very sensitive to it.

@Killiedel

Compass Dance.
The Chinese came up with this to make us look stupid. You look like your doing a ceremony, preying that your Fantom doesn't Phly away. :D
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

As said if the remote antenna was horizontal the Windsurfer would have to have been blocking it completely.

Why it didn't reconnect when you were close? Heard this many times, and seen it a few times myself. ;)

Rod

Thanks, never though calibration on a beach would be an issue (i was also next to some big rocks!) - wont be doing that again.

p.s. it was wet sand that i took off and landed on, so no risk of sand getting into places it shouldn't.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik