Graupner 8 x 5

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but recently got my PHANTOM in July, I flew it about ~10 times so far since. I been using the Graupner 8 x 5 props for about 2 months, but feel as if when i ascend and descend it's wobbly.

For you guys with experience, how would you rate them? I read that they are good, but just did a quick search and read otherwise - what other props would you recommend? or just go back to stock?

the graupner 8' are renowned for being useless but look cool. Much better off with 8 or 9inch carbon (replica airfoil to dji standard) blades or 9050 GWS tribaldes. They will give you better performance and flight time compared with the graupners.

also when descending don't go straight down, try and move slightly from your central axis whether it is forward or back, left or right this will reduce the amount of prop wash you fly through which causes the wobble.

boat chaser said:
the graupner 8' are renowned for being useless but look cool. Much better off with 8 or 9inch carbon (replica airfoil to dji standard) blades or 9050 GWS tribaldes. They will give you better performance and flight time compared with the graupners.

thanks! do you have a specific carbon fiber prop you use? If you have a link that would be great.

Also does the upgrade make a big difference - is it worth it?

r3tro23 said:
boat chaser said:
Also does the upgrade make a big difference - is it worth it?

Which upgrade? There are lots of upgrades! Props, motors, batteries, radios, and more. :D

Also, part of the equation to determine what prop will work best for you is what altitude will you be flying at? I'm almost a mile up, so the stock props and the CF clones in that size leave me a bit under propped.

bumper

boat chaser said:
Which upgrade? There are lots of upgrades! Props, motors, batteries, radios, and more. :D

Also, part of the equation to determine what prop will work best for you is what altitude will you be flying at? I'm almost a mile up, so the stock props and the CF clones in that size leave me a bit under propped.

bumper
Sorry I didn't specify, but I'm mainly talking about the props. I want to upgrade them, but don't know which to purchase.

Good to know about altitude. I'm flying within the 100-300ft range.

r3tro23 said:
Sorry I didn't specify, but I'm mainly talking about the props. I want to upgrade them, but don't know which to purchase.

Well, Bumper was referring to MSL (above sea level) altitude....so if you are not in Colorado or Albuquerque or Bolivia you are probably okay. :) But yes, if your home altitude is 4,000+ ft. above sea level, you will start to notice the difference.

I have had great luck with the 9" carbon fiber props from DSLRPros, but they are super expensive (US$52 or so for a set). They exactly match the pitch/airfoil of the stock props, unlike a lot of the other CF props out there (e.g., Graupner). I do hear that people have had good luck from Chinese props on eBay that seem almost identical (if not completely identical), but you'll have to Google around for specifics of exactly which ones have performed well and arrived in good balance.

MrMediaGuy said:
r3tro23 said:

Well, Bumper was referring to MSL (above sea level) altitude....so if you are not in Colorado or Albuquerque or Bolivia you are probably okay. :) But yes, if your home altitude is 4,000+ ft. above sea level, you will start to notice the difference.

I have had great luck with the 9" carbon fiber props from DSLRPros, but they are super expensive (US$52 or so for a set). They exactly match the pitch/airfoil of the stock props, unlike a lot of the other CF props out there (e.g., Graupner). I do hear that people have had good luck from Chinese props on eBay that seem almost identical (if not completely identical), but you'll have to Google around for specifics of exactly which ones have performed well and arrived in good balance.

Great thanks! Yeah I live in NJ.

Did you have to balance your 9" carbon fiber props? Also does that length prop extend further than the prop guards?

Not sure about prop guards and 9 inch props Im sure someone has tried them, regarding graupner 8x5's the profile of these just limits the lift quite a bit and if you compare flying them to the stock DJI plastic you will notice better control and longer flight times using the DJI props. The 9x5 graupners are similar to flying stock DJI props so aftermarket props using a similar profile to the DJI will give you best results rather then the graupner profile, I think the graupners would work much better on a 4s multi and higher RPM motors but struggles to lift at phantoms rpm levels so even though they are very well built and look cool they wont fly as well as most others.

For stock weight, one battery, no gizmos hanging off it, the cheap chi com 8" props work fantastic. But if you add any weight at all (mines getting to be a flying pig) then I can't say enough good things about these cheap 9" from china. They work fantastic, so well I'm going to pick up another set while I can. Gunna try the tri-blades next.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Propeller ... fiber+prop

Loppy said:
For stock weight, one battery, no gizmos hanging off it, the cheap chi com 8" props work fantastic. But if you add any weight at all (mines getting to be a flying pig) then I can't say enough good things about these cheap 9" from china. They work fantastic, so well I'm going to pick up another set while I can. Gunna try the tri-blades next.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Propeller ... fiber+prop

martcerv said:
Not sure about prop guards and 9 inch props Im sure someone has tried them, regarding graupner 8x5's the profile of these just limits the lift quite a bit and if you compare flying them to the stock DJI plastic you will notice better control and longer flight times using the DJI props. The 9x5 graupners are similar to flying stock DJI props so aftermarket props using a similar profile to the DJI will give you best results rather then the graupner profile, I think the graupners would work much better on a 4s multi and higher RPM motors but struggles to lift at phantoms rpm levels so even though they are very well built and look cool they wont fly as well as most others.

Thanks for all the help! I'll probably purchase the 9inch carbon fibers and give it a test!

I have seen some other guys fly zinger props not sure of the size though, they seemed to like them. I have ordered some zinger 9 inch props cant remember if they were 9x4 or 9x5 bjt should have them soon.

My prefered props atm are GWS 9050 triblades, great heavy lifters and fly pretty well too. Id love some stiffer triblades and ordered some master airscrew 9x7x3 but another user has just tried them recently and they are too heavy and high pitch it seems so flight times cut very short.

There is a lot to finding the right props and it depends on how heavy your setup is. A phantom dead stock flys well with the 8045 dji props these do ok till it gets a bit heavy where 9 inch props help. Then if you want max lift the gws 9x5 triblades seem the best there.

Then there is prop design, pitch, weight, stiffness and build quality. So many variables and the design of the fji props produces good lift compared to most other blades of the same size on a phantom so best to stick to something similar in 8 or 9 inch in whatever material you can get a quality prop. Then you need to balance them. Main things you want to change props is for performance or lift stiffer props that are welk buikt and balanced give good flight control and then obviously the more lift the better it will be when you start adding extra gear. If you dont have enough lift it will use much higher rpm to just hover and so battery life will be much shorter and same if the props are too heavy it will take more power to spin them and be slower at speed changes so not as agile.

martcerv said:
I have seen some other guys fly zinger props not sure of the size though, they seemed to like them. I have ordered some zinger 9 inch props cant remember if they were 9x4 or 9x5 bjt should have them soon.

My prefered props atm are GWS 9050 triblades, great heavy lifters and fly pretty well too. Id love some stiffer triblades and ordered some master airscrew 9x7x3 but another user has just tried them recently and they are too heavy and high pitch it seems so flight times cut very short.

There is a lot to finding the right props and it depends on how heavy your setup is. A phantom dead stock flys well with the 8045 dji props these do ok till it gets a bit heavy where 9 inch props help. Then if you want max lift the gws 9x5 triblades seem the best there.

Then there is prop design, pitch, weight, stiffness and build quality. So many variables and the design of the fji props produces good lift compared to most other blades of the same size on a phantom so best to stick to something similar in 8 or 9 inch in whatever material you can get a quality prop. Then you need to balance them. Main things you want to change props is for performance or lift stiffer props that are welk buikt and balanced give good flight control and then obviously the more lift the better it will be when you start adding extra gear. If you dont have enough lift it will use much higher rpm to just hover and so battery life will be much shorter and same if the props are too heavy it will take more power to spin them and be slower at speed changes so not as agile.

Thanks! very helpful.

I recently tried some Zinger 9x5 props on my phantom, these fly quite well but compared to the GWS 9050 triblades I lose lots of flight time. Pushing hard with 2700mah battery in manual mode got 8:10 out of the GWS props and only 6:03 with the zingers at 1150g total weight gopro FPV. Weight of these props is 12g and they are very easy to balance.

They are pretty tough and may be my goto props for tree trimming, I actually broke a prop on the first flight which is why I switched to the zingers. I didnt push quite as hard flying the zingers either though flew it in manual mode too, then I flew some 2200 batteries with the zingers and consistently got around 6 minutes flying slow ATTI fpv in and around the trees. Pushing hard in manual mode cuts about 2 minutes off my flight times so these arent terrible props but I still would rather fly the GWS 9050 tri's if I have a full set to stick on my phantom that is. :lol:

I live at 2600 mts ASL (~8.000 ft)
I tried many props including Graupners and Wooden Zingers. Both sttifer than stocks, but here the air doesn't help for sustaing. On descending, no quick react and it is too difficult to recover. (I discarded both). Tried GWS 9050 triblade. WOW what a difference ! adjusted gains +15% in vertical (Altitude). My phantom (1190 gr AUW) now doesn't fly like a piggy :lol: My suggest for similar weights / ASL are STOCK or 9050 TRIBLADE. Best recovery on descending and gusts winds.

Propellers2.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4