Grainy and pixaly Phantom 4 video

Reaction score
Picked up my P4 a couple of weeks ago and as much as love the build quality etc, to my eye the video quality isn't as it should be! Sometimes i get an "ok" shot but over grass and trees you can really see the pixels and graininess of the video.

Its so annoying because i know they are better than this!

I was shooting in 4k 30fps. 3D noise was off

Any help would be much appreciated!?

Heres a video..

PLEASE select higher resolution on the settings tab on the video to see the true image

I would assume this is the video you got from your P4 and not your tablet/phone on the remote, correct? Viewing it on my 2k screen it looks overall good, just the first 2 and last clip, with the dark grass/trees contrasting the bright sky looks with a higher compression rate due to MP4 format, but the rest is looking good. I'm no video expert, but I hope it helps

Cheers mate, It was the sunny day light clip that is annoying e as i feel it looks a little grainy and low res. It came straight off the SD card shot in MOV

Cheers mate, It was the sunny day light clip that is annoying e as i feel it looks a little grainy and low res. It came straight off the SD card shot in MOV
Keep an eye on your shutter speed. Auto setting come up with some weird mega fast shutter that makes things look really grainy and makes straight lines look like they are moving. Get a few nd filters to help bring the shutter speed way down. Also ya 4K doesn't do well on non 4K systems

Cheers mate! Its just so annoying as i know the footage I've seen on youtube of others is insane!
What overal settings would you recommend for daylight filming, average sunny/cloudy day to get some nice clips? Im not bothered about photos

Keep an eye on your shutter speed. Auto setting come up with some weird mega fast shutter that makes things look really grainy and makes straight lines look like they are moving. Get a few nd filters to help bring the shutter speed way down. Also ya 4K doesn't do well on non 4K systems

Cheers mate! Its just so annoying as i know the footage I've seen on youtube of others is insane!
What overal settings would you recommend for daylight filming, average sunny/cloudy day to get some nice clips? Im not bothered about photos
Rule of thumb is the shutter speed should be double your frame rate, so if you are shooting in 30fps then shutter should be 1/60. The best way to achieve this is using manual settings and set your camera and use ND filters to keep the exposure in check.

Reactions: rhoffart
Doesn't look grainy to me either. I'm learning that light plays the biggest factor in how your end result is.
And what I mean by light is how much gets put into the camera sensor. Too much and you get lots of over exposure washed out and just a little too less and the footage looks in sharp and grainy.

The difference between the sunset and the daytime in your video is evident of that. The day time footage looked crisp to me.

Rule of thumb is the shutter speed should be double your frame rate, so if you are shooting in 30fps then shutter should be 1/60. The best way to achieve this is using manual settings and set your camera and use ND filters to keep the exposure in check.

Hammer nailed it! :)

Your ISO on the last shot would have went above 1000 if in automatic, high ISO over 1000 is the sensor working in a range that shows up the flaws in the camera and it cannot hold the pixels. It shows as grain. welcome to cameras.

Im finding that using polar pro nd filters is very difficult to get the correct one resulting in a lot of my footage not being as crisp as it should be, im not sure if its the filters or me?
But id appreciate any input..

Thanks Hammer and rhoffart!

Might just be me being over fussy then if people seem to think its ok.

Thanks for advice everyone, appreciate it!
I can see it on a low res. screen. There are even a few blink pixals on the left/top side of the screen. Could also be your memory card. Cheaper memory cards can be to slow to accurately record the data from the camera. 4k @30fps is a huge amount of data to wright on the fly. Try a high quality memory card. If u already have one just ignore me, I'm stupid. Lol

I have a 28" 4k monitor and when I view my 4k footage on it I find it extremely grainy, the same footage on my Windows Surface Pro 4 looks much clearer and better quality. I have my monitor set on the highest setting but if I only ever saw 4k footage on my 4k monitor I would not be impressed at all. Strange, I can't figure why it's so grainy on my 4k monitor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20