Graceful recovery from battery contact failure

Reaction score
It is with concern that I have read in the forums about the many incidents where the Phantom Vision has initiated emergency landing after a battery contact failure. While I haven't experienced the situation myself, the reports affected how adventurous I have permitted myself to be in my flying. When the recent upgrade 1.05 upgrade became available I went ahead with it as soon as I could figure out how to get Virtualbox to recognize the USB connection.

This morning I took the PV out for some low level flying to confirm that it was in good shape after the upgrade and to check IOC mode. (IOC mode will be very useful I realized.) There was too much wind above the trees, hence the low level flying. At one point, the rotor clipped a twig and some leaves. The PV maintained altitude and course as if nothing has happened but the contact must have led to some serious vibrations in the frame because an error message flashed on my phone: ""There has been a battery communication failure. Please fly carefully and bring your Phantom 2 Vision back to you ASAP.” I was too flustered to grab a screenshot but what I noticed was that the PV did not initiate an emergency landing, I had the same level of control of the PV as when flying normally.

I landed the PV and switched it off, checked that the exterior looked normal, popped the battery out to check inside, popped it back in. Then I took off again and had a perfectly normal flight with no warning or error messages.

I assume the reason for the warning message was a temporary disconnect with the battery control pins. Has anyone else encountered the same error message after the upgrade? It seems like the new software has a graceful recovery from the situation, provided - as in my case - the situation is caused by an incident and not something that happens frequently.

From what I understand... that's exactly what the Phantom is supposed to do after the 1.05 upgrade. Cool !!!

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj