GPS Tracking - Prevent Loss

Reaction score
Greetings! Looking for a way to track P2 in case it goes down and I can't seem to locate it. I'm not very concerned about tracking real-time while in the air. I've done some research and everything seems very complex.

Again, only time I'd probably use it is if it went down (hopefully never).

Any ideas?

tonydotigr said:
Please let me know how it works out. I'm very interested to get one, but a little hesitant based on the reviews.

Leaning towards this option based on weight: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Elecs-Small ... escription
From my research, that one works on cellular triangulation, not gps. So it narrows it down to .5-1km rather than 10-20 meters, which is pretty much no help

CJ31 said:
From my research, that one works on cellular triangulation, not gps. So it narrows it down to .5-1km rather than 10-20 meters, which is pretty much no help

Well I ordered one yesterday. For £18 and free postage, there's not a lot to lose.

Where did you get your info about cellular triangulation? This is from the item description on Amazon (seems like it works on GPS to me!):

Main Specifics

Style: Smallest Mini A8 GPS Tracker
GMS frequency: 850/ 900/1800/1900Mhz
GPRS: Class12,TCP/IP
Voltage range: AC110?220V 50/60Hz
Output: DC5.0V 500mA
Battery: Chargeable 3.7V 500mAh Li-ion battery
GPS initialization: Cold boot 38s (Open sky), Warm boot 2s (Open sky)
GPS Accuracy: 10m(2D RM)
Working Temperature: -20°C to +55°C
Storage Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
Color: Black
Weight: 30g
Size: 43 x 32 x 14 mm

Package Includes

1 x Smallest Mini A8 GPS Tracker
1 x Power Adapter
1 x USB Cable
1 x User manual

Where did you get your info about cellular triangulation?
There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago where someone stated that. Of course the search function on this site is fairly useless so I can't find it now. But I also saw these reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Global-Tracker-19 ... ewpoints=1

But hopefully it works for you Peter. If Amazon UK is like Amazon US, then you should be able to return it. I think no matter which type you get, sounds like it is hit or miss whether they work or not. I have a sim adapter coming for my TK102 this week, so will give that a try and report back.

Would the ipad ground station give you a last known position? What would be the drawback to depending on that if it does?

CJ31 said:
There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago where someone stated that. Of course the search function on this site is fairly useless so I can't find it now. But I also saw these reviews.

But hopefully it works for you Peter. If Amazon UK is like Amazon US, then you should be able to return it. I think no matter which type you get, sounds like it is hit or miss whether they work or not. I have a sim adapter coming for my TK102 this week, so will give that a try and report back.

They're not the same (at least I hope not), although they do look similar. The one you link to is actually specified as location based; it doesn't mention GPS, whereas the one I've ordered definitely says it's GPS based. But if if they're telling porkies then, as you say, that's one of the advantages of using Amazon - bad sellers suffer and the customer gets a refund.

Peter Evans said:
CJ31 said:

They're not the same (at least I hope not), although they do look similar. The one you link to is actually specified as location based; it doesn't mention GPS, whereas the one I've ordered definitely says it's GPS based. But if if they're telling porkies then, as you say, that's one of the advantages of using Amazon - bad sellers suffer and the customer gets a refund.

I just saw the picture and assumed all of those A8 type were the same. The one I linked to does say GPS in the title description. But I hope yours works for you. Please update when you get it because it looks smaller and lighter than the tk102 that I'm about to mount on my P2.

Peter Evans said:
CJ31 said:
Main Specifics

Style: Smallest Mini A8 GPS Tracker
GMS frequency: 850/ 900/1800/1900Mhz
GPRS: Class12,TCP/IP
Voltage range: AC110?220V 50/60Hz
Output: DC5.0V 500mA
Battery: Chargeable 3.7V 500mAh Li-ion battery
GPS initialization: Cold boot 38s (Open sky), Warm boot 2s (Open sky)
GPS Accuracy: 10m(2D RM)
Working Temperature: -20°C to +55°C
Storage Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
Color: Black
Weight: 30g
Size: 43 x 32 x 14 mm

Package Includes

1 x Smallest Mini A8 GPS Tracker
1 x Power Adapter
1 x USB Cable
1 x User manual

Sorry but this one does indeed only triangulate (and not very well). Although it says GPS in the title, it's not. :-( The TK102 are the best ones and if you strip the case off (as per Jaybees excellent tutorial http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9439) it weighs in at around 30g.

goldfishrock said:
Sorry but this one does indeed only triangulate (and not very well). Although it says GPS in the title, it's not. :-( The TK102 are the best ones and if you strip the case off (as per Jaybees excellent tutorial http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9439) it weighs in at around 30g.

I don't see how you can say that with such certainty. Quite honestly I fail to see how they can state in the specs : " GPS initialization: Cold boot 38s (Open sky), Warm boot 2s (Open sky), GPS Accuracy: 10m(2D RM)" if there's no GPS module in it!

There are over a dozen trackers on Amazon.co.uk that look identical to the TK102 http://www.amazon.co.uk/RealTime-Ve...8&qid=1395740409&sr=8-31&keywords=gps+tracker and they're all at different prices. So that would seem to indicate to me that you can't tell what's inside any of these things simply by what the case looks like.

As I said before, mine's on its way now, so we'll find out in a couple of weeks ;)

I looked at the A8 and found it was reported that there was no GPS chip (even though the specs say it does) and that it did indeed use cell triangulation (LBS) for location and it was very inaccurate. Did you receive it yet and if so did you find yours to be a true GPS? I am very curious if there is another option to my TK102B.

Picking it up later today..missed the postie yesterday..!!!

Sent from the thing that does everything.

LuvMyTJ said:
I looked at the A8 and found it was reported that there was no GPS chip (even though the specs say it does) and that it did indeed use cell triangulation (LBS) for location and it was very inaccurate. Did you receive it yet and if so did you find yours to be a true GPS? I am very curious if there is another option to my TK102B.

Still waiting for it to arrive.

OK so the mini A8 does not have SIRF chip or any GPS stuff ..Its charging at the moment and there is supposed to be a light on it to let you know it is charging - can't see it !! .. It also requires registration in TORO to become active - Degree of difficulty is too high at the moment so its being put away for future ..
But it doesn't look good for being useful to track a missing Phantom ...
Could have wasted USD 16.00 I think ...
Cheers
Mandrake

Hmmm, I looked again on my Amazon order for which the product header is:
" Top Elecs Smallest Portable GPS Tracker Mini A8 GSM/GPRS/GPS Global Locator For Car Real-Time[Electronics]"

But, clicking through to that item, I see that the product header is now:
"Top Elecs Smallest Portable GSM Tracker Mini A8 GSM/GPRS Global Locator For Car Real-Time".
However, in the product description it still says "GPS initialization: Cold boot 38s (Open sky), Warm boot 2s (Open sky), GPS Accuracy: 10m"

Well, we'll see when it arrives. If it isn't GPS then it's an immediate complaint to Amazon and an immediate refund to me (one of the advantages of buying from them).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj