GPS Tracking Chip

Reaction score
What are folks thoughts on a GPS tracking chip being secured on the P3P? Thinking about the possibility of having the drone go down and lose battery power and would like the back up option if a chip to locate it.

I fly with a Trackimo GPS tracker attached to my P3P. You never can be too safe.

Other commonly used trackers can be found here.

Last edited:
What are folks thoughts on a GPS tracking chip being secured on the P3P? Thinking about the possibility of having the drone go down and lose battery power and would like the back up option if a chip to locate it.
Tile is fairly cheap. I have one on my computer bag but I suspect it will work the same on the drone. Now that you mention it though, I may get another just for that purpose....

Tiles cast about a 100 ft signal. Unless you crash/land in the middle of a crowded city where many people have the Tile app installed, it's not going to be very helpful.

What I like about the Flytrex Live module is that it's passive - just add power and it phones home with a stream of data from the Phantom. If my Phantom were to ever go away on its own, all I have to do is bring up the Flytrex site and look at my Phantom's last position. I've never needed it, but for $200, it is cheap insurance for a $2000 investment.

Tiles cast about a 100 ft signal. Unless you crash/land in the middle of a crowded city where many people have the Tile app installed, it's not going to be very helpful.
Yes, this is correct... but.. it's $25 and if you can use your flight recorder to get you within 100' of where it went down then it's golden.

it's $25 and if you can use your flight recorder to get you within 100' of where it went down then it's golden.
I think most people are attaching trackers because they fear their Phantom will fly away far beyond the range of the remote controller and/or Lightbridge. At that point, the flight recorder data will be useless.

I use a RF-V16 with a pay as you go sim in it, hopefully I will never have to use or need it but as already mentioned you cant be too careful.

I looked into trackimo and here in Aust it was $150 for the device free service for 12 months and then $12.95 per month afterwards, quite pricey! Whereas the TKSTAR genuine I found for $80 and got a cell service for $15 with 365 day credit expiry, made it a very easy choice since I believe you have to use trackimos service with their dedicated simcard.

What are folks thoughts on a small GPS tracking chip on P3P? Thinking about the possibility of having the drone go down and lose battery power and would like the back up option if a chip to locate it.

I would recommend trackimo tracker. Except for Loc8tor, trackimo is something I have been using. It's cheap but has a larger size, but I think it's better than the Loc8tor in terms of connectivity or GPS tracking.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj