GPS trackers question (again)

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking on the forum I can see a few posts where people have fitted a TK102 type tracker, but I was wondering if anyone had tried any other types

There appears to be other main types on eBay

This type that seems to is designed for motor bikes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-GPS-GSM-GP ... 4861c243be

and this one, which seems to have a bugging device as well as GPS (though I'm not even sure it has GPS despite it being listed as GPS),
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Min ... 3cd87207cb

The TK102 seems to have a load of features that are not really needed for finding out where the Phantom has landed
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS ... 27c6dd51cd

e.g. movement alerts etc

Anyway, perhaps I better just bite the bullet and order the motorcycle or the other one and see if either of them work ;-)

Be sure it doesn't use AT&T's 2G service as they are discontinuing 2G in Jan of '17.
I personally am seriously considering this little gem.
It's a solar powered GPS tracker the size of4 quarters stacked together

large_RETRIEVOR_250x200_0.png

See it here - http://www.retrievor.com

RogerClark said:
Hi,

Looking on the forum I can see a few posts where people have fitted a TK102 type tracker, but I was wondering if anyone had tried any other types

There appears to be other main types on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Min ... 3cd87207cb

The one above is not GPS but GPRS triangulation- I have one and they are rubbish, gets you within a few miles not metres,

I've got the TK102 on mine. I took it apart and now power it from the balancing connector on my Phantom 1 rather than its own battery. This makes it lighter and I've then wrapped it in shrink tube and attached it to a bracket for my gimbal.

I'm really pleased with the way it works.

I have the TK102 also...and have only flown my new Phantom 1.1.1 once with it on.

I decided to velcro it to the back of the GoPro door. Then I didn't need to attach anything to the copter itself.

My ONLY complaint with this tracker is that once it looses GPS signal, it does not seem to be able to reacquire it without being power cycled.

I had it in my coat pocket once, and it lost GPS. I put it out in the open for 15 minutes, and it did not re-lock. Took the battery out, and BANG, in 15 seconds it was back in action.

So, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing, I think. The battery lasts a good 4-5 days. And a SIM card from my iPhone worked in it!

The smallest...is that micro?

I went to AT&T and they actually made an adapter out of a larger sim card for me...for free.

Thanks for the replies

It doesn't sound if there is a good solution to that at the moment.

I guess that what is really needed is something that can read the CAN bus gps data and then sends it via SMS.

I did take a look to see if some sort of general purpose GSM / Phone module existed that could be hooked up to a small micro controller, but all the modules that I found cost far more than one of these dedicated tracker units :-( so its not really that practical.

So I've just ordered a TK102-2 from eBay.

RogerClark said:
I guess that what is really needed is something that can read the CAN bus gps data and then sends it via SMS.

That would only work until the Phantom's battery died, you'd definitely want something with an independent power supply.

jthorstad said:
I have the TK102 also...and have only flown my new Phantom 1.1.1 once with it on.

I decided to velcro it to the back of the GoPro door. Then I didn't need to attach anything to the copter itself.

My ONLY complaint with this tracker is that once it looses GPS signal, it does not seem to be able to reacquire it without being power cycled.

I wonder if there is a problem with your tracker.
My TK102b goes to sleep after some 2 minutes. This includes shutting down GPS tracking. GPS tracking reacquires a short time after an interrogation text.

Point being- have you tried a text to bring it back to life- rather than a power recycle?

Yes, I text it all the time. That's how I know it doesn't have sat lock. It says GPS: NO

A power cycle fixes it. Seems to work great as long as it sees sats.

BTW, does your power button do ANYTHING? Mine does nothing. The SOS button works. But the only way to power up or off is to pull the battery.

discv said:
jthorstad said:

I wonder if there is a problem with your tracker.
My TK102b goes to sleep after some 2 minutes. This includes shutting down GPS tracking. GPS tracking reacquires a short time after an interrogation text.

Point being- have you tried a text to bring it back to life- rather than a power recycle?

jthorstad, I know that mine powers up as soon as power is present. I read that this is useful when using external power i.e. in a car etc. I will check and get back- but I am fairly sure that the power button works normally once power is first applied.

You're right in saying the A8 unit does NOT have GPS capability. It only does LBS positioning, which can be exceptionally inaccurate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20