gps tracker?

Reaction score
so, here it is the first question... I am looking for a gps tracker, something that can
1) provide the exact location of my dear P2NV in case it get lost
2) provide the location in real time
It seems to me that while the goals can be achived by IOSd mini-like, but I haven't planned to buy a Whole FPV set and so in this case it is not a viable solution
Moreover, I found out that typical gps trackers, like for dogs, are sold based on a strange business model, with a monthly from the network providers like verizon. It seems ridicoulus to me.
Do you have any solutions or suggestions for 1) or for 1) and 2) goals?

ps I hate winter. Rome is a sunny town, but in winter ... either it's raining ot it is windy or both... how am i supposed to flight? :)

@tknquad: cheers mate, you can also try the search on my signature which may be easier (google engine). good luck and have fun :)

tknquad said:
EMCSQUAR said:

oh, so my first question was a dumb question as it has been already discussed. Anyway you have been very kind on not stressing my newbieness, nevertheless i feel ashame and from now on I will use the search button before posting anything else.
thank you
tkn

It wasn't at all meant to be taken that way - it was just easier to point you to an existing thread on different peoples takes on GPS trackers and let you decide which fits your needs. I could've just hammered you with my choice - a Garmin GTU 10 w/one years free subscription - but that's just my personal choice.

I just purchased the Garmin GTU-10 Tracker on eBay for $110 USD with a one year tracking subscription included. Someone on this forum recently said that this unit has been discontinued and will stop working next year. I just got off of the phone with Garmin and that is only partially true. Garmin has discontinued the GTU-10 because the cellular network it operates on (in the U.S.) is scheduled to shut down, but the date is in early 2016, not 1015. Garmin will continue to provide full warranty support until that date and they also said that they will likely end up giving eveyone the last remaining year (2015) for free or deeply discounted as a concession.

lgeist said:
I just purchased the Garmin GTU-10 Tracker on eBay for $110 USD with a one year tracking subscription included. Someone on this forum recently said that this unit has been discontinued and will stop working next year. I just got off of the phone with Garmin and that is only partially true. Garmin has discontinued the GTU-10 because the cellular network it operates on (in the U.S.) is scheduled to shut down, but the date is in early 2016, not 1015. Garmin will continue to provide full warranty support until that date and they also said that they will likely end up giving eveyone the last remaining year (2015) for free or deeply discounted as a concession.

You didn't happen to ask them if they're planning on releasing some sort of new & improved model, did you?

How do you like the GTU-10 so far? I'll probably pull the trigger later this week.

Here's a pic of my Garmin GTU-10 Tracker attached with Velcro alongside my ImmersionRC VTX. I just mounted it today and have not had a chance to test it yet, but all looks good :)

And no, no word from Garmin as to whether or not they'll eventually offer a replacement.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 1,947
Just ordered a GTU-10 from Ebay. Garmin has it posted on their site now that the anticipated end date for GTU-10 is January 2017.

EMCSQUAR said:
tknquad said:
EMCSQUAR said:

oh, so my first question was a dumb question as it has been already discussed. Anyway you have been very kind on not stressing my newbieness, nevertheless i feel ashame and from now on I will use the search button before posting anything else.
thank you
tkn

It wasn't at all meant to be taken that way - it was just easier to point you to an existing thread on different peoples takes on GPS trackers and let you decide which fits your needs. I could've just hammered you with my choice - a Garmin GTU 10 w/one years free subscription - but that's just my personal choice.

Man I was not complaining... I am an old user of several forums and I know first to search,,, I was really feeling that by myself, anyway thank you....
Back to the point, why is that that we have to pay for subscription? There is no other solution w/o subscription? There must be a tech reason about that?

I had a look now on G. And found out this two

And the Chinese ones
http://www.e-lins.com/EN/Q8_Vehicle_Mot ... acker.html

Last options seems interesting but I wonder if that might interfere with the dji nav system...
And using a very old phone but not that old and light?

lgeist said:
Here's a pic of my Garmin GTU-10 Tracker attached with Velcro alongside my ImmersionRC VTX.

May I ask how much your setup weighs? I've got an almost identical rig (with the addition of the IOSD Mini) and with my GTU my P2 is weighing in at 1345g.... 45g over the recommended limit :eek: Is yours in the same ballpark and if so, how does it fly? Have you noticed any handling differences? Sorry for all the questions! :?:

goldfishrock said:
lgeist said:
Here's a pic of my Garmin GTU-10 Tracker attached with Velcro alongside my ImmersionRC VTX.

May I ask how much your setup weighs? I've got an almost identical rig (with the addition of the IOSD Mini) and with my GTU my P2 is weighing in at 1345g.... 45g over the recommended limit :eek: Is yours in the same ballpark and if so, how does it fly? Have you noticed any handling differences? Sorry for all the questions! :?:

The weight is only 46 grams and I can't tell any difference in flight time or characteristics. It's not much bigger or heavier than the video trasmitter. The battery will last anywhere from 24 hours to about 30 days, depending on how often you want it to send out its location via email or text. The tracking app for your smartphone/device is free.

lgeist said:
goldfishrock said:
lgeist said:

The weight is only 46 grams and I can't tell any difference in flight time or characteristics. It's not much bigger or heavier than the video trasmitter. The battery will last anywhere from 24 hours to about 30 days, depending on how often you want it to send out its location via email or text. The tracking app for your smartphone/device is free.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. (I was multitasking at the time!)

I thought you were asking about the GTU-10. I haven't weighed my rig yet but would like to as soon as I can find a scale. Will let you know when I do. But so far, it flies very well!

Straight from the Garmin website: GTU-10 will be cut off on January 1, 2017.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 67686.html

The connected services provider for your GTU 10, AT&T Wireless, has determined to cease operations of its 2G network by approximately Jan. 1, 2017. Unfortunately, due to the AT&T Wireless network circumstances, the third-party services necessary to support the network connectivity operations of your GTU 10 unit will be impacted. As AT&T Wireless disclosed they plan to fully discontinue service on the 2G wireless networks by approximately Jan. 1, 2017. At this time, there is no viable alternative of such services; therefore, after such date your GTU10 unit will no longer be operational. We apologize for the inconvenience.

lgeist said:
Will let you know when I do. But so far, it flies very well!

Thanks for that lgeist...

I've found a couple of smaller GPS units which I am looking into. I notice that most of them run off a 4.7v battery so am wondering if I can tap the smoothed 5v output from the ImmersionRC vTX (comes from Pin 1 of the 5way connector) to power the GPS unit therefore reducing the weight by removing the battery all together, potentenially a < 30g GPS.

I'll order them and have a play around and see if it's feasable and if it works I'll post the details.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31