GPS tracker

Reaction score
Hi. I own a general GPS tracker (GPS receiver, GSM module, battery, case) which I fitted under my Phantom for a test drive. The quad took off OK but after a few moments I completely lost control and it crashed. I removed the tracker and all was back to normal. Is this behaviour to be expected? Could it have affected the compass? Anyone who has successfully used a similar device?

Which tracker are you using? if your tracker is constantly updating and transmitting, it can interfere with the compass and onboard gps. I use the Garmin gtu-10 and set it to on demand mode. never had any issues.

Well, it's a cheap Chinese thing just called GSM/GPRS/GPS Tracker. It's set up to respond to SMS messages only, GPRS is not activated, so I don't think it's doing anything until asked.

st2430 said:
Hi. I own a general GPS tracker (GPS receiver, GSM module, battery, case) which I fitted under my Phantom for a test drive. The quad took off OK but after a few moments I completely lost control and it crashed. I removed the tracker and all was back to normal. Is this behaviour to be expected? Could it have affected the compass? Anyone who has successfully used a similar device?

The tracker I have like that has strong magnets on its battery cover. It came with a non-magnetic replacement cover. If you tried to fly with the magnetic version of the cover, it would interfere with the copter's compass.

-- Roger

Brilliant, that is exactly what has happened. I found it strange that there were two covers included when I got the tracker but didn't think more about it. I now tested it using a GPS app on my mobile and just as you say, one of the covers contains magnets. When I use the other cover, the GPS app doesn't react at all when I hover the tracker over it. Many thanks for this tip! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl