GPS Tracker Risk Analysis

terrylowe said:
Happyflyer said:
"To get my T-sim working I picked up an AT&T GoPhone, unlocked it and activated the sim in the phone. Pulled it and placed in tracker. Works good."

To unlock, did you have to call ATT and ask them to unlock it or was there another trick?
AT&T would not help. Phone too cheap. I went with an online company that sells unlock codes. After a week they could not come up with any and I got a refund. Then just by searching the web, I stumbled on to a site that showed how to unlock the exact model gophone I have. It was simple and worked. That allowed me to use the T-Mobile sim in the AT&T phone.

Happyflyer said:
Then just by searching the web, I stumbled on to a site that showed how to unlock the exact model gophone I have. It was simple and worked. That allowed me to use the T-Mobile sim in the AT&T phone.
Care to share?

I stopped by T-Mobile today. I explained that I wanted a prepaid phone but planned to use their sim in a tracker. The knowledgeable salesman said "no way that would work. Our sims only work in phones. " I left there and I got online and did an online chat with AT&T. I was informed that I could activate their sim online without purchasing or using a phone. So, I purchased an AT&T sim for $5.00. I will update whenever it all gets here and I try to start setting it up. The tracker was shipped from China today, so it might be quite a while.......

SteveMann said:
Happyflyer said:
Then just by searching the web, I stumbled on to a site that showed how to unlock the exact model gophone I have. It was simple and worked. That allowed me to use the T-Mobile sim in the AT&T phone.
Care to share?
I will look that info up and drop it here. If I can find it.
UPDATE: As far a I know it is for this model only.

Remember: Use at your own risk.

Attachments

• Phone unlock3.jpg
    Phone unlock3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 382
terrylowe said:
I stopped by T-Mobile today. I explained that I wanted a prepaid phone but planned to use their sim in a tracker. The knowledgeable salesman said "no way that would work. Our sims only work in phones. " I left there and I got online and did an online chat with AT&T. I was informed that I could activate their sim online without purchasing or using a phone. So, I purchased an AT&T sim for $5.00. I will update whenever it all gets here and I try to start setting it up. The tracker was shipped from China today, so it might be quite a while.......
That salesperson may have been correct, sort of. The RF-V16 tracker takes a micro sim card. So far all of my phones over the years have taken a larger card. Including the GoPhone I used to set up my account. I had to buy an adapter for the micro sim to fit it in the phone. As for not working in a tracker he/she was not correct. Mine works fine. Person maybe never heard of a tracker and did not want to admit it. So reason for their answer.

terrylowe said:
I walked into T-mobile today and told the sales guy I was buying a GPS tracker and need a SIM card. He added a data SIM card to my existing T-Mobile account and it's $10 per month but I got a $10/month credit because I have four other phones on that account, so it's basically free.

SteveMann said:
terrylowe said:
I walked into T-mobile today and told the sales guy I was buying a GPS tracker and need a SIM card. He added a data SIM card to my existing T-Mobile account and it's $10 per month but I got a $10/month credit because I have four other phones on that account, so it's basically free.

I think that my t-mobile sales clerk was not in his comfort zone. Nice job on the free addition!

T Mobile charges $10.00 per quarter to give you a tel. Number to call which gives you the coordinates where your quad is.

And that unit comes with two covers, one magnetic and one plastic.

The photo shows a RF-V16 tracker that is available on EBay. It happens to be the one that I use and it claims to be the world's smallest GPS tracker. It has many features. However, there has been a post saying the lanyard hole isn't secure.

I recommend a zip tie fastener, which has excellent adhesive, on the back, that attaches to the tracker and it has two holes for a Zip Tie to go through.

GaryDZ said:
4wd said:
Is there anyway these can work without mobile phone signal?
Round here 90% of places don't have coverage.

I bought this one:
http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-trac ... -recovery/

Expensive but no extra charges. And it weighs only 12 grams. They make one for pets which has a larger "tag". The one for RC models is quite small. I won't fly without it.
This is the one I bought also. Yes more expensive up front but no charges after that. Has a stand by time of 1 month. Played around with it & it worked pretty good.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj