GPS Tracker for Phantom

Reaction score
Honesty is the best policy, but just in case yours goes down and seems to be lost, which is the best GPS tracker that can be put in a Phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
The range on those is pretty short (about 30 feet). You'd be much better off with a GPS tracker.

Last edited:
The range on those is pretty short (about 30 feet). You'd be much better off with a GPS tracker.
Thank you brother, I was about to buy it. I revised my post because I've read about the guy , Tony I believe his name is, just lost his. Do you know of any that wouldn't cause interference and could work like "where's my iPhone?" App?

Dose it affect flight? The added weight on the drone?

I use the RF-V16 and love it. it requires cell service, but it's got some very useful features.

Wish I could use this or the Trackimo but alas they are all 2G which has been phased out in my area and will be everywhere else within a year or so, rendering them useless. If anyone knows a good tracker like the RF-V16 that uses 3g please let me know. (besides flytrex)

Wish I could use this or the Trackimo but alas they are all 2G which has been phased out in my area and will be everywhere else within a year or so, rendering them useless. If anyone knows a good tracker like the RF-V16 that uses 3g please let me know. (besides flytrex)

Take a look at this one on Amazon. Amazon.com: XGPS Portable Mini GPS Tracker TK109B Fashionable Waterproof GSM GPS With Geo-fence/Two Way Calling For SOS/Vehicle/Outdoor Sports/ Children,Seniors and Pets + Free Tkstar App Software: Cell Phones & Accessories

Looks like it uses 4 G although the setup of the device might be a bit tough at first there is a youtube video and some instructions in the user reviews on Amazon.

Take a look at this one on Amazon. Amazon.com: XGPS Portable Mini GPS Tracker TK109B Fashionable Waterproof GSM GPS With Geo-fence/Two Way Calling For SOS/Vehicle/Outdoor Sports/ Children,Seniors and Pets + Free Tkstar App Software: Cell Phones & Accessories

Looks like it uses 4 G although the setup of the device might be a bit tough at first there is a youtube video and some instructions in the user reviews on Amazon.
I'm using this one and it works great with H2O Wireless SIM card; $10 for 3 months. Just call it and it texts back its location with link to Google Maps.
If someone needs help with the setup, I can help.
5c3e12026e9dc5b8c92ca9cd969f1454.jpg

Reactions: UpTo90 and Numone
i see lot people talking abut putting a tracker but for what I see and read fail safe must be RTH so why is it needed to have a tracker ? .does the p3p just fail out of the sky or am I missing something ?

i see lot people talking abut putting a tracker but for what I see and read fail safe must be RTH so why is it needed to have a tracker ? .does the p3p just fail out of the sky or am I missing something ?
Something like that. Or the drone could hit a high wire or got hit by a bird, then crash somewhere. Or you could lose signal, the drone flew for a few more seconds before it crashed (even though it should initiate RTH). In which case a tracker comes in handy to locate your drone. Of course if it crashed into an ocean, then it's bye-bye.

Just go onto you tube and look for Phantom 3 flyaways. There have been countless flyers who have lost their drones through no real fault of their own. Hindsight of course is a wonderful thing. Of course he should have climbed earlier and not hit that tree. Did not realise the wind was that strong up there. Flew it away and could not fight their way back against the wind........ battery dies etc. I myself have flown a heli out of sight and thought I was flying back but was actually flying 'back' in the wrong direction. I pressed RTH and the heli appeared from a completely different direction to what I thought it should. If the battery had died or it had hit something and fallen I would never have known where to look.

Its ok sitting in the comfort of your armchair saying something like "you should never fly it out of sight" or "I always know where mine is" but at least once you will lose it and hope that the RTH brings it home safely. If it don't where would you start looking? How many fields, trees, backyards are there withing flying distance of your heli? Where would you start looking? That is why a GPS is a good idea.

Hope this clarifies things :)

Reactions: Rickochet
If you want more tracker info/ideas, you also have five threads down below to read up on trackers...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1