GPS toast?

Reaction score
Well I had my first fly away. Been along time but finally happened. Had flown a couple of flights, put in a new battery. Fired it up, let it get a GPS lock etc. Took off into a hover and held it there in front of me. Seemed all good so started to move away. Saw a yellow/red flash (compass issue) on LED and tried to bring her back in. Speared off into the bushes in spectacular fashion.

Now I have opened her up and checked everything. When I turn her on, it does not seem to pick up satellites and flashes yellow. When I connect to assistant software it shows the switch position as GPS but says it is in Atti. Guessing the GPS is toast then?

What does this sentence mean:
"When I connect to assistant software it shows the switch position as GPS but says it is in Atti."

What 'shows' and what 'says'?

How can it be both?

N017RW said:
"When I connect to assistant software it shows the switch position as GPS but says it is in Atti."

See picture. So my switch position on transmitter is in GPS mode, but my Phantom says it is in Atti mode. It is not even trying to look for satellites, just had yellow flashing LEDs.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 391
Probably because your inside house with less than 6 satellites.

wat17 said:
N017RW said:

See picture. So my switch position on transmitter is in GPS mode, but my Phantom says it is in Atti mode. It is not even trying to look for satellites, just had yellow flashing LEDs.

Good call Damon.
Good observation on your part wat17 too.

Take it ouside to see that that's it!

Keep the props off if you're the least bit worried about some sort of unexpected operation(s).

Even inside it should still show GPS mode and looking for satellites.

When taken outside it stays in Atti mode. Just yellow flashing LED. Not the red/green combo it has when searching and finding satellites.

Ponderous.

The Naza guide shows continuous flashing yellow as Tx signal lost.

Is there an additional pattern or cadence or just yellow flashing forever?

wat17 said:
Even inside it should still show GPS mode and looking for satellites.

When taken outside it stays in Atti mode. Just yellow flashing LED. Not the red/green combo it has when searching and finding satellites.
Video of LEDs might help here. If its constant yellow flashes either the controller is not bound or off, or the S1 is in Failsafe position. If it is flashing green, red, then two or three quick yellows then the GPS is broke or unplugged.

Its not the fast flashing to represent the control signal lost.

It is just signalling Ready to Fly (non gps). A slow blinking yellow.

if moveing the switch to gps and its still showing it in atti is a good indication your switch crapped out. and the default for when the switch is not making connection is atti If you want to test the switch and if you dont have a multi meter to test it you can still do a simple test with the controller open you can short the center connector to the bottom connector and see if it switches to gps. or to the top connecter and it should show as being in fail safe. If so you just have a faulty switch. if not then you might have a bad gps unit or it came un plugged inside the phantom. But more then likely inless you had a crash its the switch being they are very common to go bad in just a short about of time and with just a very little bit of use they ware out.

The switches they use in the tx are real crappy switches and very! prone to failure. esp the S2 switch being that gets cycled a lot like when doing a compass calibration and flipping it back and forth a few times. Its so common it even happens to a lot of people with in the first few days. and I'm convinced its one of the main real causes for fly always.

I'm using a Taranis Tx so the switches should be a bit better.

As I posted on the last page, when I open the assistant software it is registering the switch position as GPS, however the aircraft is in Atti mode.

I'd say it's your GPS, I'm dealing with the same exact issues as you but my drone is brand new and never been flown. I opened the phantom up and unplugged the GPS cable and it was doing the exact same thing as it was when it was plugged in. I've come to the conclusion that mine is faulty.

I cant seem to get gps lock either...for such an expensive "toy" I sure have a lot of problems with this thing.... If im lucky I get flashing green followed by rapid red blinking. Trying to find satellites but not successful. At this point I think I must have a bad gps. The antenna looks fine...not cracked so doubt that is the problem. Really don't want to spend 150 for a new gps...

Just to be sure its GPS and I don't have additional problems..can anyone tell me if you can still get positional telemetry data on the app with GPS lock. My positional data just says NA. Is this normal when there is no GPS lock?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik