GPS to GET MORE SATTELITES

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 11.50.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 11.50.22 PM.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,285
Yes you can, its been discussed quite a few time.

The NAZA also contains the compass you have to disconnect the one on the leg.

After install do a full IMU calibration.

robinb said:

thanks robinb, has anyone in the forum tried or experience this kind of experiment? please post thanks

there has been a couple that tired it, it works well but for me not sure it made any difference to any interference. (don't think i am getting any with the foil mod).

Though another poster it helped him a lot.

It's the same GPS engine (uBlox), + the added magnetometer, inside the 'puck' as what is in your Phantom now.

If you Google it you'll see this as well as the omission of the antenna filtering network found on the P2's internal module.

The big gain here is the increased distance from the P2's internals you'll achieve by mounting it externally. Probably why the filtering network was added to the P2 module.

Maybe consider remounting the the current internal module externally to see what gains you might achieve.

Of course you'd need to design a suitable housing for it too.
Maybe a 3D designer/printer member could look into this???

I've opened one up, and all is the same except the missing compass parts.
Even the holes to mount it inside the shell line up with the original one! (Phantom 2 Vision)

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,324
Noël said:
I've opened one up, and all is the same except the missing compass part.
Even the holes to mount it inside the shell line up the original one!

No it's not!

If you look between the antenna output (silver blob/ball near center) and uBlox input you'll see that the 'puck' is missing about 10 components.

They are the SAW filtering and support components.

That's good to know.

I thought that the missing parts were for the compass!

My guess is the few components near the top or 12 o'clock position of puck in picture is the compass stuff.

robinb said:

No,dont disconnect the compass on the leg.
We did this mod to my mates Phantom and when we removed the stock compass the Phantom just wouldn't work.
There is a compass in the Naza puck but it seems like it is ignored.
The puck plugs into the standard GPS port on the main board.
We also tried plugging it straight in the EXP port on the flight controller to see if that would allow it to accept the compass as well as the GPS from the puck and that didn't help either.
You need the stock compass on the leg.
I think the firmware in the Phantom flight controller has quite a few things "locked out" unlike the pure Naza versions.

smallman28 said:
robinb said:

We did this mod to my mates Phantom and when we removed the stock compass the Phantom just wouldn't work.
We also tried plugging it straight in the EXP port on the flight controller to see if that would allow it to accept the compass as well as the GPS from the puck and that didn't help either.
I think the firmware in the Phantom flight controller has quite a few things "locked out" unlike the pure Naza versions.

That is incorrect.. you do not need the external compass. The GPS puck has a compass and plugging the puck into the GPS port accepts the compass signal.

I added the GPS puck to my PV2+ and removed the external compass and have had zero problems. Calibrating the compass works exactly the same.

Stile2112 said:
smallman28 said:
robinb said:

That is incorrect.. you do not need the external compass. The GPS puck has a compass and plugging the puck into the GPS port accepts the compass signal.

I added the GPS puck to my PV2+ and removed the external compass and have had zero problems. Calibrating the compass works exactly the same.

Trust me when I say that it didn't work for me.
Tried all combinations and couldn't get it work.
Disconnecting the compass on the leg with the puck attached just caused the Phantom to flash yellow lights.
The option to calibrate whilst having it set up without the stock compass was all greyed out and we kept getting a pop up box in the assistant software that basically said the compass is missing.
I am not saying it isn't impossible to do what you said but I just couldn't get it to work any other way than what we did.

Meta4 said:
Would be a lot cheaper and easier to try the foil mod to get the same result.

Foil mod hasn't worked for everyone so this seems a reasonable solution especially considering all the other DJI platforms outside the Phantom range use this configuration. Makes me wonder what DJI considered more important, aesthetics or functionality when designing the Phantoms.

Externally mounted GPS puck works perfectly. Plugs right into the existing GPS port and the built in compass is recognized and used automatically. You can completely unplug the OEM compass from the compass port. Been using that configuration on both of my Phantoms for several months now and never had an issue.

Attachments

• 2014-08-21 04.53.32.jpg
    2014-08-21 04.53.32.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 455
Great Thread! :!:

I would like to see a little more on moving the current vPlus gps to the exterior body. Matter of fact I'll do my own. Anyone have any recommendations before hand? Anything that I need to have caution on?

flyNfrank said:

I would like to see a little more on moving the current vPlus gps to the exterior body. Matter of fact I'll do my own. Anyone have any recommendations before hand? Anything that I need to have caution on?

I'm doing this mod as well. Would be interested to hear if anyone has done this who also use Flytrex Live? Does the fact that the puck has GPS and compass in one unit cause any issues? Also what is the best routing through the shell?

job2310 said:
flyNfrank said:

I'm doing this mod as well. Would be interested to hear if anyone has done this who also use Flytrex Live? Does the fact that the puck has GPS and compass in one unit cause any issues? Also what is the best routing through the shell?

I'll route mine so that the wire or flytrex harness is as far away from all other wiring as possible. When I routed the flytrex harness under the main board area and above the battery, it made a noticeable improvement then to have it routed around the module and all other wiring. It's almost like the harness needs to be a shielded setup that wont be affected by any type of noise.

flyNfrank said:
I'll route mine so that the wire or flytrex harness is as far away from all other wiring as possible. When I routed the flytrex harness under the main board area and above the battery, it made a noticeable improvement then to have it routed around the module and all other wiring. It's almost like the harness needs to be a shielded setup that wont be affected by any type of noise.

Good thought. If you do yours before I do mine be sure to share some info about how it goes. :) I've ordered the GPS puck from the U.S. so I don't expect it for a couple weeks.

smallman28 said:
robinb said:

thank you very much.... do you have the details to guide me how?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4