GPS switches to Atti Mode... Panic

Reaction score
Last weekend flew and at mid flight my controller switched to Atti mode. It also started reporting errors. I completely lost LOS and started to get a little worried. Luckily, it reverted back to GPS and safe to fly. I noticed in Atti mode RTH did not work. I was just about to turn off remote when it reconnected. Would turning off the remote when you lose orientation and site of AC the best practice when something like this happens? BTW, after all that and RTH safely, I later had my first significant crash after several months of flying... But, that story is for a different day!

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last weekend flew and at mid flight my controller switched to Atti mode. It also started reporting errors. I completely lost LOS and started to get a little worried. Luckily, it reverted back to GPS and safe to fly. I noticed in Atti mode RTH did not work. I was just about to turn off remote when it reconnected. Would turning off the remote when you lose orientation and site of AC the best practice when something like this happens?
It's important to understand why your Phantom switched to atti.
You can gain some insight from the flight data.
What errors were reported?
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record and look at the report that provides.

Possibly it was due to a compass error and to deal with conflicting data, the Phantom switches to atti.
Whatever the cause, if your Phantom is ignoring GPS, RTH is probably not going to work and switching the controller off won't help.
Try flying in atti mode in safe conditions to learn how it works and you won't be so scared of it.

Reactions: Yiannis.B
I noticed in Atti mode RTH did not work. I was just about to turn off remote when it reconnected. Would turning off the remote when you lose orientation and site of AC the best practice when something like this happens?
RTH will still work when you manually switch to ATTI mode (if your Phantom still has a good GPS signal), but it will not work when your Phantom is not able to use the GPS data (for whatever reason) and auto switches to ATTI mode. If you turn off the remote controller at that point, your Phantom will auto land at its current location after 3 seconds.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I thought turning off the controller was a fail safe option, and AC would return to home. I'm glad I did not initiate that option, as for a while I was getting no GPS... I would have lost my bird for sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

I thought turning off the controller was a fail safe option, and AC would return to home.
It will return home if it knows how to get there. That requires a strong GPS connection on the Phantom. If it's not connected to enough satellites, the Phantom will disregard the GPS data and land at its current location. It's pretty rare for the Phantom to not have a good GPS connection when up in the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers