Gps seems out of whack

Reaction score
So i am popping my newbie cherry.. I have a phantom 1..i recently added the h3-2d upgrade kit..did not add gimbal yet..i accidentally pulled out that thin little white clearish wire from compass. After i took it out to see how it would fly and it does not seem to hover steadily..No wind blowing..It just seems to glide to the right by itself. i notice one of my propellers spins closer to the shell than the others. I calibrated in assistant software and did the calibration dance. Any help greatly appreciated..

Moskino said:
So i am popping my newbie cherry.. I have a phantom 1..i recently added the h3-2d upgrade kit..did not add gimbal yet..i accidentally pulled out that thin little white clearish wire from compass. After i took it out to see how it would fly and it does not seem to hover steadily..No wind blowing..It just seems to glide to the right by itself. i notice one of my propellers spins closer to the shell than the others. I calibrated in assistant software and did the calibration dance. Any help greatly appreciated..

Hard to say how bad the issue is (if an issue at all) without seeing it fly but don't expect the Phantom to always hover 100% locked to the spot. It should hover withing say a 2 metre diamete circle (which is the rough accuracy of the GPS signal). With no signal inputs it will only correct itself if it wanders out of this fixed position.

Disconnecting the compass should have no issue on it but to be safe my suggestiong is to take it out to a nice clear space where there is no metal work, buildings, wifi (and ideally cell siganl but not too much of an issue) and do the compass calibration again. As long as you don't fly outside say 100 miles of where you did this calibration you shouldn't need to do it again unless you wave magnets around near it.... sounds hard to do but don't forget most tablets (especially the ipad) have magnets in the covers, as to phones as do screwdrivers etc...

The distance of prop to shell sounds odd... a photo directly over the Phantom and posted in here would help here. It is probably just a trick of the light especially if it is in stock form.

If you are still in doubt then take a video of it in flight and post it in here. That will at least tell us how stable it is flying compared to others.

Moskino said:

As far as the prop nearer the bodyshell is concerned it's probably a bent prop, they bend quite easily if the phantom is laid upside down on something soft for instance.
as far as the compass, make sure you have rapid flashing green lights (Marking a homepoint) and have steady flashing greens. If not you're in atti and it will drift. Sometimes they turn green when they find satellites and the go yellow again when contact is dropped and the count drops under 6 Sats

Moskino said:

Thank you for that info..I will definitely try that..

DeweyAXD said:
Moskino said:

Hard to say how bad the issue is (if an issue at all) without seeing it fly but don't expect the Phantom to always hover 100% locked to the spot. It should hover withing say a 2 metre diamete circle (which is the rough accuracy of the GPS signal). With no signal inputs it will only correct itself if it wanders out of this fixed position.

Disconnecting the compass should have no issue on it but to be safe my suggestiong is to take it out to a nice clear space where there is no metal work, buildings, wifi (and ideally cell siganl but not too much of an issue) and do the compass calibration again. As long as you don't fly outside say 100 miles of where you did this calibration you shouldn't need to do it again unless you wave magnets around near it.... sounds hard to do but don't forget most tablets (especially the ipad) have magnets in the covers, as to phones as do screwdrivers etc...

The distance of prop to shell sounds odd... a photo directly over the Phantom and posted in here would help here. It is probably just a trick of the light especially if it is in stock form.

If you are still in doubt then take a video of it in flight and post it in here. That will at least tell us how stable it is flying compared to others.

Thank you for that info ..I will try that

OI Photography said:
When flying, do you get the green blink indicating it's in GPS mode (as opposed to the yellow blink of ATT mode)?

Yes i do...I make sure the phantom locks on to the satellites before take off

PhotoPilot said:
Moskino said:

As far as the prop nearer the bodyshell is concerned it's probably a bent prop, they bend quite easily if the phantom is laid upside down on something soft for instance.
as far as the compass, make sure you have rapid flashing green lights (Marking a homepoint) and have steady flashing greens. If not you're in atti and it will drift. Sometimes they turn green when they find satellites and the go yellow again when contact is dropped and the count drops under 6 Sats

Before take off i make sure i have steady flashing green lights..in GPS mode..now i find i have to calibrate before every flight..never had to do that before

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.