GPS SATS? why do I get so many?

Reaction score
I keep reading about low SAT counts and I have to wonder why I get 6 to 7 on my desk and 12 to 13 flying and you guys get so little or lose them and crash. :shock:

So i wonder how many I will get when I go to Lake Tahoe this weekend. I will have report back on that.

dalebb said:
I keep reading about low SAT counts and I have to wonder why I get 6 to 7 on my desk and 12 to 13 flying and you guys get so little or lose them and crash. :shock:

Is your desk outside by any chance? Who are these guys you speak of? lol.

I never get any sats when inside any building. I am always amazed at how that is accomplished when you have to have LOS to satellites to acquire them. So how do you defy the laws of GPS sats?

From gpssystems.net: GPS satellites transmit a low-powered radio signal that travels by line-of-sight (LOS). This means it will pass through clouds, glass or plastic but will not go through most solid objects such as buildings or dense foliage. Electric interference can also affect the quality of the GPS signal, thus increasing the chance of the GPS unit not being able to receive the satellite’s signal correctly.
A GPS device’s ability to pick up a clear and accurate signal from a satellite can also be negatively affected by something known as satellite geometry or shading. This is when a number of satellites are ‘bunched’ together in relation to the device, such as all lined up in a row. GPS satellites work best when positioned at wide angles from each other, from the receiver’s point of view.

You do realize that there are only a few places on earth that happen to see 13 SATS at any given time, correct? I'm guessing you live in California or Arizona.

https://in-the-sky.org/satmap.php
Max sats for my location is 10 today, between 17:00 and 19:00 EST I will only have 8 availalble.

I

At any given time of day, the majority of the GPS satellites visible are closer to the horizon than straight above you.
A distribution chart will show few satellites above 45 degrees and most below 45 degrees. This is because GPS satellites are in a polar orbit.

If you have mountains, hills, trees or buildings blocking your view of the horizon to 30 degrees or more, you're blocking most of the satellites in that direction.

I too can usually get a sat lock of 6 or 7 in my house and 10-12 outdoors. I'm near the top of a hill but not at the top so I have a clear horizon in one direction but I'm blocked by my hill on one side to about 20 or 30 degrees.
I never bothered with the GPS foil shield mod since I never have trouble getting a lock.

cahutch said:
I too can usually get a sat lock of 6 or 7 in my house and 10-12 outdoors. I'm near the top of a hill but not at the top so I have a clear horizon in one direction but I'm blocked by my hill on one side to about 20 or 30 degrees.

So maybe you are seeing those sats through windows in your house? I am not doubting you but can you explain scientifically how you get 6 or 7 in your house when the sat signals generally do not pass through buildings?

Perhaps he lives in a glass house :lol:

BlackTracer said:
crash1sttime said:

If he does I wonder if he stows thrones? :lol: I sound more and more like my father every day.

?? wondering if that was an intentional spoonerism or you've been drinking :?

On my Version 2 I was getting 8 sats which fropped to 4 as soon as the camera was switched on.

On the V3 I get 11 sats at the same location - it doesnt change at all when recording video - happy at last!!!!!

I'm about 25 miles SE of downtown Seattle and I can get 6-8 sats on my Phantom 2 while sitting in my living room (the only room where I can get that many), and 12-13 outside.

Same with the Iris+.

eurostylin said:
You do realize that there are only a few places on earth that happen to see 13 SATS at any given time, correct? I'm guessing you live in California or Arizona.

https://in-the-sky.org/satmap.php
Max sats for my location is 10 today, between 17:00 and 19:00 EST I will only have 8 availalble.

I
Bakersfield , ca. that maters?

BlackTracer said:
So maybe you are seeing those sats through windows in your house? I am not doubting you but can you explain scientifically how you get 6 or 7 in your house when the sat signals generally do not pass through buildings?
I've often wondered how it's possible for me to get 6-7 sats inside the house, but I do.
Cement board siding, foil backed insulation and low-E glass. Wifi doesn't get through it.
It must be getting through the roof, which is asphalt shingles, tar paper and plywood with fiberglass insulation in the ceiling, which I'm guessing is NOT foil backed.
A GPS signal won't go through wet live wood but 1.2-1.5GHz should go through dry dead wood just fine.

BlackTracer said:
dalebb said:

Is your desk outside by any chance? Who are these guys you speak of? lol.

I never get any sats when inside any building. I am always amazed at how that is accomplished when you have to have LOS to satellites to acquire them. So how do you defy the laws of GPS sats?

From gpssystems.net: GPS satellites transmit a low-powered radio signal that travels by line-of-sight (LOS). This means it will pass through clouds, glass or plastic but will not go through most solid objects such as buildings or dense foliage. Electric interference can also affect the quality of the GPS signal, thus increasing the chance of the GPS unit not being able to receive the satellite’s signal correctly.
A GPS device’s ability to pick up a clear and accurate signal from a satellite can also be negatively affected by something known as satellite geometry or shading. This is when a number of satellites are ‘bunched’ together in relation to the device, such as all lined up in a row. GPS satellites work best when positioned at wide angles from each other, from the receiver’s point of view.
at the time i turned it off i had 8 sats, i hit the off button as i saw it so i didnt get a pic.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 434
  • sat count.jpg
    sat count.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 443
BlackTracer said:
cahutch said:

No I can't,,, thats what I'm asking, why do I get so many sats when you guys don't,,, I saw 1 post that said if you live in cali or az you get that many, but I don't know why.

Attachments

• kitchen table.jpg
    kitchen table.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 372
cahutch said:
At any given time of day, the majority of the GPS satellites visible are closer to the horizon than straight above you.
A distribution chart will show few satellites above 45 degrees and most below 45 degrees. This is because GPS satellites are in a polar orbit.

If you have mountains, hills, trees or buildings blocking your view of the horizon to 30 degrees or more, you're blocking most of the satellites in that direction.

I never bothered with the GPS foil shield mod since I never have trouble getting a lock.
And I always thought they were in a geo stable orbit, shows how much I know.

landmannnn said:
Your Friendly Canard said:
landmannnn said:
Mountians, big trees, cloudy skies, tall buildings....

Cloudy skies do not affect GPS reception.

Lol, I was trying to get a response from someone living in Southern California like "what are clouds?" Fail.
Bakersfield here.

crash1sttime said:
I throw to many stones to live in a glass house. :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic