GPS Satellites Today (3-25-15)???

Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble getting satellites today? I was locking on fine yesterday. Today, not only is my bird reading ZERO sats but none of my GPS satellite detecting apps on my tablet are showing any. Very strange. I know a new GPS sat was launched today. I wonder if the entire GPS sat system gets rebooted in order for it to join into the network.

I would wager it has noting to do with that only because it takes time (days, weeks, months???) to get it into proper orbit bring systems on-line, tests, tests, tests, etc.

It's not 'plug and play' with this sort of thing.

But your experiences are ponderous.

BTW: I just deposited $0.02.

MapMaker53 said:
Is anyone else having trouble getting satellites today?
Maybe they are all over this side of the world.
My Garmin is picking up 12 sats in my backyard an hour after your post.
Try again in an hour or two.

So I had my bird at the office today and, like I said, was getting zero sats showing up in any app despite it sitting in front of a large office window. (It has been raining.) Yesterday, I had been getting 3 to 7 sats in that same position. Hard to believe all of the available GPS sats in the sky were on the other side of the building - but I guess maybe they were. When I got home I placed my PV2+v2 in front of a window and am now getting 5 to 10 sats and a lot more on my other sat reporting apps. So I have no idea why I was getting zero sats on all apps around 4pm at the office, but I'm glad all seems to be working now.

MapMaker53 said:
So I had my bird at the office today and, like I said, was getting zero sats showing up in any app despite it sitting in front of a large office window. (It has been raining.) Yesterday, I had been getting 3 to 7 sats in that same position. Hard to believe all of the available GPS sats in the sky were on the other side of the building - but I guess maybe they were. When I got home I placed my PV2+v2 in front of a window and am now getting 5 to 10 sats and a lot more on my other sat reporting apps. So I have no idea why I was getting zero sats on all apps around 4pm at the office, but I'm glad all seems to be working now.

I cannot see judging such while indoors.

MapMaker53 said:
So I had my bird at the office today and, like I said, was getting zero sats showing up in any app despite it sitting in front of a large office window. (It has been raining.) Yesterday, I had been getting 3 to 7 sats in that same position. Hard to believe all of the available GPS sats in the sky were on the other side of the building - but I guess maybe they were.
You guessed right.
How much of the sky could you see from the window? Half? Less than half?
The pattern of sats in the sky varies all the time with the sats orbiting and the earth rotating so you can often get a spread where the sats in your sky are clustered and if half of your sky isn't visible and that's the half where most of the sats just happen to be ....

The good news is that isn't usually a problem when you're flying - unless you decide to take up flying inside the office.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik