GPS Position Map for DJI P3S?

Reaction score
I've been flying drones for a few years. Started with with Parrot AR 2, then an DJI Phantom 1 FC40, and now my FC40 is on eBay (with a few bids) so I'm going to be upgrading to either the P3 Standard or Advanced. One of things that finally inspired me to make the switch is that I flew my friend's Phantom 3 Professional and I loved how the app had a map that showed the location of the operator (controller) and it also included the lines of where you had flown and what direction the phantom was currently pointing in. All this additional information just took my breath away because I was just used to flying with a video screen and that's it.

My question is does the Phantom 3 Standard have this feature where you can see where the drone is in relation to you on a map and which way its pointing? The only phantoms I've ever flown were the FC40 and the P3 Professional so I don't know which version include the feature and DJI website isn't really clear. Thanks!

Same app - same features

Right, but one of the differences is that Phantom 3S has a less advanced outdoor positioning module so I wasn't sure if it retained the same features or if they were just blocked out when using the software with the standard model. If that's the case I'm really beginning to lean more toward the standard model.

While we're on the subject of differences are is there anything else that is substation ally frustrating about the the standard version vs. the advanced? I've heard that the gimbal is different but I couldn't find that out DJI's site and I was curious if the absence in light bridge makes a noticeable different in picture quality and lag time. Thanks!

I now have around 25 hours flying time on my standard and love it.
The only thing I don't like is on the iPad there seems to be a lot more noticeable compression in the live feed, whereas my nexus 5 streams perfectly.This tends to show in lighter areas of image and manifests as black lines across a white background, I do get slight lag, particularly when out around 200m, worse on iPad than nexus, however doesn't effect image enough to cause an issue.
They fly beautifully and the recorded video (I tend to use 1080p) is fantastic, though range is limited compared to advance to about 500m before signal is lost and Rth kicks in, though this is caa limit anyway so of no concern.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj