GPS Not Stable

Reaction score
I was flying today between, not tall buildings but approximately 10 meters each and what I realize is the gps isn’t stable, I had 6 sat before t/o then when I was 5 meters in the air I had 5 sat, then again 6, and therefore yellow/green/yellow/green.
I believed that since the phantom locks 6 satellites it will be stable.
Is there any way to increase gps power? Like booster or something?

(Excuse my English)

The solution is to change the gps receiver to a combined GPS and GLONASS receiver, that will give you lots of satellites! The receiver is a standard Ublox receiver and they have a new version of that receiver that supports both GLONASS and GPS. I've sent a support question to DJI about this but no answer yet..... ;)

Check youre location with
http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/
and enable GLONASS and you will see a major increase in number of avaliable satellites.
On my location is changes from 8 to 16 satellites.

/hakan

I think few GPS satellites gives a red/green,red/ green for 6 satellites and red/red/green, red/red/green for 5 satellites. Yellow/green signifies you are flying in IOC mode. Am I right?

If I fly in my yard with houses and trees nearby I get only 5-6 sats and it keeps jumping around. Not very stabile. Better in atti mode.
Now if I go across the street to the local HS field I have around 10 sats and it's very stabile. Sats are probally being blocked by the buildings.

platonas1 said:
I was flying today between, not tall buildings but approximately 10 meters each and what I realize is the gps isn’t stable, I had 6 sat before t/o then when I was 5 meters in the air I had 5 sat, then again 6, and therefore yellow/green/yellow/green.
I believed that since the phantom locks 6 satellites it will be stable.
Is there any way to increase gps power? Like booster or something?

(Excuse my English)

The K-Index was 6 on Jun 7 afternoon Pacific Time.
The K-Index is at 4 on Jun 8 afternoon Pacific Time.

If K-Index goes above 3, it'll mess with your GPS. It is not advisable to fly when K-Index goes above 3.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... k.Kmonitor

I'm no expert when the K issue arises and I respect the warnings when I rec'v them. But if today was a high warning day, then I was beating the odds. I flew 15 flights between three quads. 6 were via Ipad groundstation in random patterns. All successful, no issues handling or otherwise and a note that mid afternoon had 12+ sats which is unheard of in my neck of the woods. (Minneapolis, Mn.)

But now that I see the warnings, they're grounded for the time being.

IrishSights said:
There are Serious Solar Winds today which will upset GPS
http://www.multirotoruk.co.uk/solar-weather

A friend in the Algarve, Portugal, got his Phantom vision plus on Friday, he flew it today, for the first time, with a K-index in the RED and smashed his camera!

I had emailed him to say don't fly, but he didn't get the email until he returned home with the pieces!!

herkam said:
The solution is to change the gps receiver to a combined GPS and GLONASS receiver, that will give you lots of satellites! The receiver is a standard Ublox receiver and they have a new version of that receiver that supports both GLONASS and GPS. I've sent a support question to DJI about this but no answer yet..... ;)

/hakan

Do you have a link or a source for these?

lizard said:
It appears you are not alone who have unstable GPS.
It appears to be engineering fault of the PV2+, see this for explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV0rOBewNf0
It clearly shows, Phantom 2+ camera electronics causes GPS interference and loss of GPS signal.

Do you plan on posting this "proof" in every thread on the forum? Amazing how the vast majority of these birds fly perfectly fine given the horrendous design & engineering portrayed in the video. Nope, not your fault that you didn't read the manual, failed to wait for a GPS lock, launched from the metal table in the backyard, and then crashed your new Vision+ on your first flight. Its not your fault that you had the switch in ATTI mode and watched witlessly as your Phantom experienced a "flyaway." Nope...has to be a design fault!

Wait..its a deliberate design fault. DJI WANTS your Vision+ to flyaway or crash, so you'll buy another! You'll tell all your friends about how you crashed your $1300 quad and that will make them run out and buy one too. In a flight or two, they will crash and they too will buy another! It will be all the rage...people will flock to buy the bird designed to crash & fly away! It is one of the most ingenious marketing campaigns ever conceived!

You believe this? Really???

lizard said:
It appears you are not alone who have unstable GPS.
It appears to be engineering fault of the PV2+, see this for explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV0rOBewNf0
It clearly shows, Phantom 2+ camera electronics causes GPS interference and loss of GPS signal.

From my observations the P2V+ get exactly or sometimes even more satellites than what tools like http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com and GPS plan shows. This would indicate that the interference is a no issue. Problem is that many don´t realize that the number of the specific GPS satellites that the Phantom listen to are sometimes as few as 4 and often less than 7! The good news is that there are tools to see when this occurs and you can avoid these 10-20min "GPS blackout slots"
Before I started to use satellite prediction tools I was also very puzzled about GPS levels and reliability but now I feel much safer and things work as expected.

The only slight disappointment I have with my new PV2+ is the poor satellite lock or perhaps the inability to function with less than 6. I'm not sure which it is.

If anyone were to come up with an upgrade I'd be in the queue.

Anyone know of an iPhone app for something like the satellite tracker???
Thanks in advance!

Jimmy

Just my 2 cents but it seems to me that the only thing these videos show is that the Phantom "may be" interfering with this phones GPS. It doesn't make any statement about the Phantom interfering with its own GPS.

Am I the only one who notices a drop in satellites once the motors fire up??

Power up the PV2+ and wait. I get between 8 and 10 on a good evening. Fire up the motors and it drops to between 5 & 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers