GPS locator for fly aways?

I just received the TK102-2 I bought on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Realtime-G ... 1249190600

But have not fitted it.

The issue of fitting inside inside the phantom is that there is an on/of button on the side of the unit that needs to be held in to turn it on or off
Also they have their own removable battery, which is a good idea in that its not reliant on the Phantom battery, but needs to be removed to be charged, or you need to access the USB on the tracker to charge it (However in my case, the USB socket was not aligned with the external hole so it was virtually impossible to change this way)

I think its probably best to glue the tracker to the outside of the Phantom (right or left side is probably best)

Note.
The antenna for it, seems to be in the carrying loop bit at the end, and is a very cheep looking sticky plastic membrane containing a load of copper strips (I know because the protective cover literally fell off the end of mine and the antenna was visible)

So that end would need to face upwards, as these things have notoriously bad GPS reception.

I am a big fan of the Tagg GPS tracker made for dogs. It looks sharp tucked under the P2V's belly. You don't need to do anything except take it off the charger and pop it on the Phantom.

I use the Tagg as well, attach using industrial velcro to side. I also run a string thru the tabs on side and attach to landing skid just in case it comes loose. So far it has not. I first tried putting on top but found it interfered with the Phantom GPS.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have used the TK102-B for a while. Very accurate. No on going subscription. 4+days battery life. Cons- 58g and hard to find a good mounting solution.

This Tagg tracker is smaller, lighter, but has an ongoing subscription- I believe.

This may be another candidate- http://www.pawtrax.co.uk/news-section-2 ... d=23245755

Size - 58 x 23 x 11mm
Weight - 23g
up to 70 hours standby

A bit more pricey (£125) but, so far as I can see, no subscription. It would appear to have exactly the same functions as the TK102.

A 'heads up' I noticed on their site- they reckon to give the tracker sims a call once a month to prevent the provider from closing the account and pocketing the PAYG balance.

The Pawtrax tracker that I posted a link to above has one big flaw. It is fitted with a non replaceable LiPo :eek:

Just found this thread after doing some Google rank checking.

You may be interested in a prototype GPS tracker that I have measuring just 20mm x 20mm x 4mm with a connector for adding your own power source and charging source.

If interest is high enough I could go into production and obtain the necessary CE certs etc

PawTrax said:

You may be interested in a prototype GPS tracker that I have measuring just 20mm x 20mm x 4mm with a connector for adding your own power source and charging source.

If interest is high enough I could go into production and obtain the necessary CE certs etc
Make it small, lightweight, and able to run on 3S thru 6S LiPo on-board power sources (or an internal battery as you state) and you'll have a product that not only will have multirotor folks beating a path to your door, but R/C plane & Heli guys too!

U.M.

I volunteer to be an Alpha/Beta tester! :mrgreen:

PawTrax said:

even though its a prototype, would you have an idea on an estimated selling price? Also, would it be subscription based?

It will be around £100. It will use a PAYG micro sim card so it will not require a subscription. At the moment it is configured to send a google map link via sms on demand.

If a more 'real time' function is required then I can modify the firmware so updates are sent via GPRS to my mapping platform.

I cant upload an image to this forum but can post a link to an image later today if interested?

I know nothing about the RC/model market so open to suggestions etc

At the moment only dual band GSM but quad band a possibilty. If anyone in the Sutton, Surrey UK area wants to meet/discuss locally...........

discv said:
I have used the TK102-B for a while. Very accurate. No on going subscription. 4+days battery life. Cons- 58g and hard to find a good mounting solution.

Attach your TK102 to the opposite leg from the compass with 2 cable ties through the top loop. The tracker won't be able to come away, is well away from interfering with the rest of the quad and won't move around in flight providing it's tight enough.

To expensive for me. Plus I not cutting and soldering wires. Maybe on my 450 but not on my phantom

All these flyaway stories are beginning to scare me. I have had no problems so far, but it has only been 5 or 6 flights so far. I appreciate the concept of a GPS tracker, but I'm not sure about their practicality or value. For starters I don't have a smart phone. I have texting blocked on my cell phone because 99+% of the texts I have received lifetime were spam and cost 20 cents each. I don't want to be paying for people to advertise to me and the cost of a data plan to prepare for a maybe-never-happen event seems wasteful. So SMS seems like a route I don't want to go. Is there a tracker that will send an email with the coordinates? That might be worth it. I don't have a soldering iron and it would have to be stick on and forget it. Also, all the problems reported with all these trackers, e.g. hard to mount, interfere with Phantom's GPS, batteries not compatible or convenient, and trackers just plain not responding when needed, make them sound unreliable. I haven't seen reports of anyone actually recovering a Phantom or other RC aircraft with one but I'm new here. Can anyone confirm that one of the trackers has actually resulted in a recovery that would otherwise have been a lost aircraft?

álright decided to go for a TK102-2 as well...
now need a good place where im going to tie it with velcro.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj