GPS Issues - Tin Foil Fix - Covered under warranty

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been a lurker, but thoroughly enjoyed reading others' discussions.

I hit the dreaded "poor no. of satellite"s whilst video'ing" issues. Concerned at my 1 week phantom vision 2 plus's warranty being buggered if I dived into the case, I emailed DJI.

Within 24 hours, I had the attached reply.

I hope it reassures others who were concerned at breaking open their PV2+.

I have since implemented the fix (with no tin-foil), and have just flown with 11 satellites, which is very re-assuring compared to the 5 or 6 it would hover (pun intended) between when video'ing.

dp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 21.00.24.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 21.00.24.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,507
Interesting that support would endorse this !

Thanks for sharing their reply.

Hi.

Have some photos of mount that you DJI comments in reply?

It is very interesting DJI response to repair the fault.

Thanks.

Great, thanks for sharing this. So it seems they are aware, and cable shielding should be enough.

There's a whole thread of doing this mod. Just use aluminum duct tape and cove with packing tape.
Just do a search or look. It's on here every day.
I would do the whole Sheilding mod since you have it open. Only takes a minute to do.

So apparently just moving the GPS cable behind the shielding would do the trick? No need for tin foil? Can anyone else confirm?

I was wondering if just placing the cable under the existing shield would do the trick, and that is ALL I think DJI is endorsing. Damage resulting from additionally installed aluminum shielding, if it shorted components out, would probably not be covered under warranty.

DrD said:
I was wondering if just placing the cable under the existing shield would do the trick, and that is ALL I think DJI is endorsing. Damage resulting from additionally installed aluminum shielding, if it shorted components out, would probably not be covered under warranty.

Yes, I should have made that clear !!!!!!!!

Thank you DrD !!!!!

They only allow opening the case for putting the satellite wire behind the existing shielding !

Thank you !!!

dp

mickey78 said:
So apparently just moving the GPS cable behind the shielding would do the trick? No need for tin foil? Can anyone else confirm?

I have some 3M foil on the way but went ahead and put the cable behind the shielding the other day and where I usually test the Phantom I did have 11 sats where normally I have 8 to 9.

You're basically maxed out.

Maybe you don't need the extra effort.

mickey78 said:

While I had my bird opened to install the Flytrex Live, I had considered doing the foil mod even though I am not having GPS issues. When I looked at the gray material over the GPS, if you look carefully it already seems to be shielded. Mine looks like it is comprised of 7 layers....4 gray layers and 3 copper layers. The module itself should be covered, but that straight length of cable connecting to the Phantom may be allowing inductance to cause interference.

Reactions: Pursuer
I've had mine open a few times... on one of them I did the foil mod and tucked the cable. Don't know which part did the trick, but I regularly have 11-12 sats fairly quickly.

I've even seen photos of a/c using the gps/compass combo pucks on a stick with chokes added to the cable.

No different in function than the ones on many USB or other serial comm.cables.

Darn wish I would have know about this GPS problem earlier, Phantom 2+ is at DJI with a damaged Gimble because it lost sats and I could not control in the "breeze" and It would not do RTH function, just dropped.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20