GPS inconsistent

Reaction score
After a crash and replacing gimble wires I have only been able to fly in atti mode because my GPS is very inconsistent. Even when it's working it's only when my drone is facing north to west and even then it will not hold its position or altitude. Is my drone permanently damaged or is it just a software issue?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Probably some of the sensitive internal accelerometers and gyros inside the IC's got jarred from the crash. If all calibration and updates fail, most likely your gonna need a new flight module too. Seems to be a normal event after a crash where the owner replaces a lot of stuff, yet it still won't fly right.

After a crash and replacing gimble wires I have only been able to fly in atti mode because my GPS is very inconsistent. Even when it's working it's only when my drone is facing north to west and even then it will not hold its position or altitude. Is my drone permanently damaged or is it just a software issue?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

make sure the props are undamaged
Do a complete IMU calibration on a flat very level surface--google how if you need
recalibrate the the compass and RC after you do the IMU.

if it still is flying poorly you may have cracked or damaged the GPS antennas
it sit directly under to top middle of the top shell and can crack in crash pretty easy.

It is replicable depending on your level of interest to dig into it.

good luck and have fun flying!

Probably some of the sensitive internal accelerometers and gyros inside the IC's got jarred from the crash. If all calibration and updates fail, most likely your gonna need a new flight module too. Seems to be a normal event after a crash where the owner replaces a lot of stuff, yet it still won't fly right.
What's the flight module?

I did the IMU calibration and I also did the compass calibration and I still am not able to maintain a constant GPS signal. Is it such a bad idea that I should just continue flying in ATTI mode before tearing apart drone or spending more money on things that may not work? I really enjoyed find the drone and learning and atti mode is actually quite a fun challenge. Any suggestions are welcome.

I did the IMU calibration and I also did the compass calibration and I still am not able to maintain a constant GPS signal. Is it such a bad idea that I should just continue flying in ATTI mode before tearing apart drone or spending more money on things that may not work? I really enjoyed find the drone and learning and atti mode is actually quite a fun challenge. Any suggestions are welcome.

you can fly in ATTI forever

just keep in mind that many features or safety failsafe features use GPS to work.

no RTH etc

it is your decision how to proceed

good luck and have fun flying

Ok Kirk, I appreciate your input. I ask because I have already torn down my drone and put it back together once and want to avoid doing again if possible. Btw, I thought the gps antenna was in the landing gear, the one with the chip at the end of one of the three wires. Because the only thing I remember seeing in the top shell was some kind of copper shield. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Btw, where you from and how long you been flying the phantom?

Oh and also another I noticed during flight is my phantom always wants to slowly yaw to the left. What do you think?

Ok Kirk, I appreciate your input. I ask because I have already torn down my drone and put it back together once and want to avoid doing again if possible. Btw, I thought the gps antenna was in the landing gear, the one with the chip at the end of one of the three wires. Because the only thing I remember seeing in the top shell was some kind of copper shield. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Btw, where you from and how long you been flying the phantom?
The Landing gear holds the compass and the other is your antenna for the remote, the cooper shield is the GPS part its in the top, because the satellites are above.

Rod

Still having compass problems and drone keeps yawing to the left. Can anyone tell me if replacing the compass wire would fix these issues?

You never said you had compass problems until now, your were stating you were having GPS problems.

Rod

Don't know, this is in standard, but I saw a post in Pro/Adv also.

Rod

Sorry about that, thought I mentioned gps and compass problems. Trying everything I can to fix the bugs but still having issues with both and my drone keeps wanting to yaw left. I'm having fun in atti mode but I would like to have full potential.

Hmm, could it be just a compass error?
Try this:
1. With the drone off, take a strong magnet and move it around the front legs of the drone for a while.(don't remember in wich leg the compass is)
2. Move the magnet FAR away from the drone.
3. Turn on R/C and drone, do a compas calibration and hopefully it works.
I had the same issue, everything looked fine, but as soon as i pointed the drone to the west, everything went crazy, drifting, compass error etc.
What can happen is this; the compass gets upset by a magnetic field, either by a magnet or a tool etc., by subjecting it to a strong magnetic field, you ca "reset" it.
This can even be a problem on a new drone, as in my case, someone maybe used a magnetic tool during the assembly of the drone.

Anyway, i did this and it has never been a problem since.
Hope this will help you :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj