GPS Flight Record

Reaction score
The record of a flight is recorded in the Phantom 3 DJI app and can be displayed and this record flight "reflown" virtually. The app must be recording the GPS locations in order to do this. Is there a way to actually see the GPS coordinates that have been recorded?

I would like to be able to see the last recorded GPS location of my Phantom in the event of a crash so that I could use my hand held GPS receiver to attempt the recovery.

Reactions: geokuf
Is there a way to actually see the GPS coordinates that have been recorded?
No. The coordinates are only accessible by downloading the log stored on your Phantom.

No. The coordinates are only accessible by downloading the log stored on your Phantom.

Is it not true that the app flight record must contain GPS data? If so, one would think that DJI could configure things such that that data could be made available. Obviously, data recorded on the micro SD isn't going to be available to me in the event of a crash. I had hoped to have this data in order to retrieve my Phantom 3 in the event of a crash.

By the way, thanks for your great site. I suppose I could buy one of the GPS trackers you list and attach it to my Phantom, but that is extra weight and the ones I looked at require cell service to work. I often go to places where cell service is non-existent or spotty when I fly so those aren't quite the ideal solution for me.

Is it not true that the app flight record must contain GPS data? If so, one would think that DJI could configure things such that that data could be made available.
Yes, that data is in the flight record. DJI just doesn't expose it anywhere in the DJI GO app.

I suppose I could buy one of the GPS trackers you list and attach it to my Phantom, but that is extra weight and the ones I looked at require cell service to work.
The Marco Polo is the only tracker that does not use cell service. It doesn't use GPS either (it uses a radio signal), so you would not be able to get the GPS coordinates.

Lots of people are using Healthydrones.com to analyse flight data. It's basic, but fun. You can also extract a CSV file from that site that shows latitude and longdititude. You get the flight logs from your FPV device. In my case I get the logs from my iPhone or iPad and upload them.

Thank you! I will investigate this. If truly I can retrieve the "last coordinates" before a disappearance of my Phantom 3, I will sleep easier....

If truly I can retrieve the "last coordinates" before a disappearance of my Phantom 3
You can. Kind of. If your Phantom flies beyond the Lightbridge range and/or you lose the Lightbridge connection, you'll only have the last coordinates recorded right before the Lightbridge connection was lost. While you could get those coordinates from the DJI GO log, you could just look on the map in the DJI GO app to see the last known location.

An external GPS tracker is really the best option. But, it's an option that you might never have to use -- or, at least won't need to use often. It's like having health insurance. You buy it just in case you need it.

+1
You can. Kind of. If your Phantom flies beyond the Lightbridge range and/or you lose the Lightbridge connection, you'll only have the last coordinates recorded right before the Lightbridge connection was lost. While you could get those coordinates from the DJI GO log, you could just look on the map in the DJI GO app to see the last known location.

An external GPS tracker is really the best option. But, it's an option that you might never have to use -- or, at least won't need to use often. It's like having health insurance. You buy it just in case you need it.

The map option had occurred to me. Probably I could get the GPS coordinates from the Google Maps app? I agree I hope to never need this information (at least in terms of retrieving a downed Phantom). On the other hand, I bought the SquareTrade protection when I purchased from B&H. In order to make good on this policy, I need to have the crashed Phantom be it in whatever sorry condition and thus my motivation to have a plan...

Probably I could get the GPS coordinates from the Google Maps app?
Nope. No worries though -- you won't need the coordinates. Your mobile device will lead you directly to the last recorded spot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4