GPS Fail

Reaction score
Ok, to make a short story, I tried to do the DigiKey GPS antenna replacement last week; and failed miserably. Messed up the antenna circuit board. So I order another new DJI GPS antenna. Comes in this afternoon, I replace with the new factory one and I still can't get any GPS sats. Is there something else that went wrong when I plugged the modded antenna in and it didn't work? I did everything with power off, but one time I did plug the module in while the bird was powered up. Did I fry something else? Everything else works but it sure would be nice to get GPS back.

Any ideas? Looking for help here but I know I'm opening myself up for ribbing

At best guess, you may have kill the new board. You are right, not a good idea. Also possible ticked off something on main board from the hot connection or a short on the GPS module.

Did you get an entire new GPS antenna module from DJI or just the ceramic square antenna and soldered it back on?
If you got an entire new module, just make sure the 4 pin cables are firmly plugged in.

Does the GPS module show up when you plug the Phantom in to a computer and run the Assistant?

Did you get a module with or without the extra connector on it? It should match what you had before. If it has the connector, the compass needs to be plugged in to it for the GPS to work.

CityZen said:
Does the GPS module show up when you plug the Phantom in to a computer and run the Assistant?

Did you get a module with or without the extra connector on it? It should match what you had before. If it has the connector, the compass needs to be plugged in to it for the GPS to work.
+1

Yep, it came with what I now know is a compass connector wire. I plugged it into the gps module, then the compass on the strut and there be gps satellites showing up on the app! Now, wonder of wonders, just for grins, I plugged the old module in with the DigiKey antenna and it works too. Don't know what I did, but I guess I have a spare gps antenna. The new antenna has the same ID markings as the old one, but has the plug for the compass wire. Thanks for the help guys!! Gonna try it out on some short close flying tomorrow before I get to normal flying again. But it seems all is well

I have pulled apart my top shell over 30 times. about 3 times I've had re-open it up again and firmly press the 4pin cable down because I could not get sats. It's as if the pins don't connect so well. I have also wrapped the 4 pin connector with tape so it sits firmly. Its poorly designed.

Don't worry to much about it... It is alot easier to screw up than it looks.
When I put my new GPS antenna on I was putting a little to much solder on and for some reason the antenna was heating up, ALOT and I was getting a wierd sequence of flashing leds (can't remember now). It seemed to be the only person who that happened to :/ Actually took me a while to get it working.. had to try like 20 times and ended up using 3 diff Antennas (Luckily I bought a big batch).. But yeah in the end it was just me... trick was to use the tinyest amount of solder as the connector thingo on the GPS module that the solder needs to touch is tiny... Since me its happened to a few people. Was convinced I had screwed up my GPS module, luckily not.

Mako79 said:
I have pulled apart my top shell over 30 times. about 3 times I've had re-open it up again and firmly press the 4pin cable down because I could not get sats. It's as if the pins don't connect so well. I have also wrapped the 4 pin connector with tape so it sits firmly. Its poorly designed.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912&hilit=GPS+Connection+Issue

flyNfrank said:
Mako79 said:

Thanks mate. There is a thousand ways to skin a quad. I used tape as it was easy to get a hold of it at that time...

Mako79 said:
flyNfrank said:
Mako79 said:

Thanks mate. There is a thousand ways to skin a quad. I used tape as it was easy to get a hold of it at that time...

Keep us updated if you any issues now that you have done something to help keep your gps plug from moving around.

That is a good fix flyNfrank. My pins connect OK and never a problem. As for a connector "fall out" problem the top shell touches enough to keep it in place.
flyNfrank,
Is this wire in your other post picture ever going to be a problem?

Attachments

• F wire.jpg
    F wire.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 311

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers