GPS coordinate longitude and latitude

Is there a way that I could hover above a point and find the long. and lat.
The simplest way is to take a photo looking straight down and look at the exif data for the photo.
The Phantom stores the position data in the exif info for every photo you take.
i-H7gLW9v-L.jpg

I was just looking at the JPG Properties and found the info under Details in Windows 10.

However, the Altitude is all over the place, by 150 feet in a series taken in my back yard over several days. It is very odd what the altitude reported is and not one was within 20 feet of being correct, and off by 150 in some. Lat & Long may be right (Didn't compare.), but the Altitude sure isn't.

Some third party apps (like Litchi & Autopilot) show the current GPS coordinates while you're flying. That would be your best bet if you must have the GPS coordinates in real-time.

I figured it out I am trying to figure out how to map out several locations on a section of land and transfer onto a map via gps

Litchi can also record realtime GPS coordinates while recording video and save it as an .srt file. When the video is played back, the GPS coordinates appears as a subtitle and change as you move the aircraft.

Reactions: gvsukids
Some third party apps (like Litchi & Autopilot) show the current GPS coordinates while you're flying. That would be your best bet if you must have the GPS coordinates in real-time.
I think the Go app does the same thing in a way, (not real-time). After the flight you can play back the flight in your device log and it's there on the bottom.

Reactions: JCS9118
I think the Go app does the same thing in a way, (not real-time). After the flight you can play back the flight in your device log and it's there on the bottom.

I found this device log after my phantom auto landed in a field due to low battery. However, the coordinates at the bottom only changed slightly between takeoff and landing (22.04,-159.74 at takeoff and 22.11,-159.55 at landing) even though it was found a good 150' away from it's takeoff point. So that did me no good. I even took those coordinates and punched it into google maps and was told it was about 1/2 mile away, which it was not. Any suggestions?

I found this device log after my phantom auto landed in a field due to low battery. However, the coordinates at the bottom only changed slightly between takeoff and landing (22.04,-159.74 at takeoff and 22.11,-159.55 at landing) even though it was found a good 150' away from it's takeoff point. So that did me no good. I even took those coordinates and punched it into google maps and was told it was about 1/2 mile away, which it was not. Any suggestions?
Never really checked if these coordinates were good or not, just know they were there on the display. I checked those numbers you posted and come up with about 12 miles apart, if you typed them correct. Personal I use a Trackimo, for backup. And also know that Litchi has an option that pinpoints the last know location it recorded so you can walk to it. There was another post I just read where the guy did use the Go app and Google with coordinates from the app and found his drone. I'll see if I can find it.

Never really checked if these coordinates were good or not, just know they were there on the display. I checked those numbers you posted and come up with about 12 miles apart, if you typed them correct. Personal I use a Trackimo, for backup. And also know that Litchi has an option that pinpoints the last know location it recorded so you can walk to it. There was another post I just read where the guy did use the Go app and Google with coordinates from the app and found his drone. I'll see if I can find it.
Found it on the DJI forum: RTH WHEN RC IS DISCONNECTED ?
First post, it looks like he did the exact thing I was saying to do. And it worked for him.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
Anyways here is some confusing stuff, related to GPS coordinates.

Geodetic datum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Garmin Manual: Working with Coordinates and Units

Try this link on what format to enter into google.
Google Groups

BTW (google earth pro is free now, just search for "google earth pro free"

Rod

Litchi can also record realtime GPS coordinates while recording video and save it as an .srt file. When the video is played back, the GPS coordinates appears as a subtitle and change as you move the aircraft.
Have you done this before? Possibly go into detail about the steps it takes to get this accomplished? I may try this tomorrow as long as I can get a time column associated with each lat/long entry.

For those interested :

The advent of GPS has created a problem in the Nautical chart coverage of the earth. All charts owe their foundation to cellestial navigation techniques. Land based had to start from nautical and then calculate distances / position etc.

The data we see today can be many years old - some from 18xx's in fact. Even the Mason Dixon line is now being replotted but it is reasonably accurate in its original form.
Much of the worlds charting was conducted by middle rank officers of the Royal Navy, East India Company and so on.

Nautical and other charts have for a number of years started carrying notes regarding the offset to apply to relate it to GPS positioning systems. Whole islands can be a few miles out of true ! It is a massive undertaking to redraw the charts ... and will take many years to complete ... even digitising and Electronic Plotters have correctors applied to the vector charts.

Add to this that the earth is not a true sphere, it is termed Oblate Spheroid. It used to be likened to an inverted pear in shape - but even that has been shown inaccurate now.

Just thought some might be interested.

Nigel

Reactions: Oso
Go gives user option to have srt files written or not ... giving GPS data continuously throughout the flight.

To use when editing videos - it would need to be integrated into the video file to keep coordinated with visual.

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers