GPS 4mm Upgrade Modification

Reaction score
I received my new Phantom today and being this will be my Video Quad out of the many mods that I did, I am happy with the 4mm GPS Copper Foil Shielding upgrade. Before the modification I set the P2 in my living room and it was able to lock on between 7 and sometimes 8 Birds. After installing the 4mm GPS and the Copper Foil Shielding Upgrade I was locked on 10 and sometimes 11 Birds. I have never seen 11 Birds outside in the clear and only a couple times have I seen 10 briefly. I am convinced this modification helps.

I am pretty good with an Iron but I was nervous as a dog chitting peach pits when I was Soldering in the new 4mm puck onto the board, but obviously I made it through ok! ;) Just thought I would give this report.

~Duke

Have a v-3 that locks 12 sat in my area and a v-2 that would dance 5-7 . I did the 4mm puck & copper tape shield, immediately locks 9-12(6-7 indoors) cost for parts on e-bay
$5

Have a v-3 that locks 12 sat in my area and a v-2 that would dance 5-7 . I did the 4mm puck & copper tape shield, immediately locks 9-12(6-7 indoors) cost for parts on e-bay
$5

Hey Bum ya have some links of those E-bay Parts? Thanks Duke

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is the one i watched, i had an extra gps module to practice on and it worked like a charm. If your soldering attempts are hit and miss like mine i would not risk screwing up you one good one. That being said it only took 10 minutes and went well this time. The copper tape shielding is pretty self explanatory, i tried to only leave barely enough gps cable exposed to get fingers in and connect

Well I intend to practice soldering a bit before I attempt it. I'd be VERY sad if I fudged up my bird...

Not to get too much off-topic, but is there a preferred style of iron to get? I'm not all too familiar with soldering (yet).

Admittedly i have a lot to learn but i've had best luck so far with mini butane,small tip,& small soldier wire

I watched the video, seems very simple. The only soldering is the pin holing the chip to the board, so it seems very simple.

Where do you put the foil though?

I also followed the ebay links. Being that both items are from China, how long did it take for you to get them?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After you do that step cover that existing shielding with the copper tape. It seems most anything I order from Hong Kong takes three weeks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic