Gotta Find Another Place To Fly... Phantom Possessed!

PJA

Reaction score
What seemed to start off like a decent flight, eventually turned into a disaster...

In September I lost control of my Phantom while flying a night flight. My Phantom became unresponsive, drifted towards the north east and hovered about 150 ft in the air until the battery died and then fell out of the sky... I had no control at all... I had to rebuild the Phantom...

Well, today I took the Phantom up and I recognized the same control problems after a while. I don't blame the Phantom or pilot error.... I blame location, since it was in the same location as the September disaster.

I live in a congested area, near a hospital, which seems to have some sort of 'magnetic' pull on my Phantom. After I get some height, I can't let go of the sticks to hover. It starts to drift north east towards the hospital, each and every time I fly there. From now on I don't fly in that particular area anymore. I seem to always be in control when I'm flying in an open field instead...

You can see me struggle to get it home here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89-3GsN8DU[/youtube]

Scary indeed. Nice recovery, especially in such a highly populated area. It definitely sounds like some serious interference around.

Curious. What version Phantom do you have? Do you have one or two antenna leads?

Post by dkr77573 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:24 pm
Curious. What version Phantom do you have? Do you have one or two antenna leads?

I have a very early Phantom... I bought it in March of 2013... Only one lead antennae...

Does the hospital have an MRI machine? I'd hate to see the local magnetic interference when one of those is fired up!

Driffill said:
Does the hospital have an MRI machine? I'd hate to see the local magnetic interference when one of those is fired up!

Good point but....... It would be zero.

MRI suites have total RF and magnetic shielding due to the fact that if there was even a tiny amount of RF or magnetically emitted radiation it could cause artifacts in the scan and result in false diagnosis.
The walls, floor and ceiling of an MRI suite are totally screened and basically exist in a Faraday cage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20