Got my Phantom

Reaction score
Hi

Just taken delivery of my new P2V, and im dying to get outside and fly it, but the weather is wet and rainy :(

So ive done the following

Updated all the firmware

Calibrated the controller in the RC asst software
Calibrated the controller in the Phantom software
Done an advanced IMU calibration.

anything else i should consider doing before its maiden voyage.?

Compass calibration.

Outside free from know magnetic sources (transformers, etc.) or metallic structures or items (manhole covers. steel buildings, cars).

Now this sounds counter-intuitive but after you get all the pre-flight warm-up and satellite lock indications use FULL power (Left stick full up) to take off and then release the stick when 6-10 ft above the ground and verify stable hovering.

Next begin slowly using the right stick to move the quad in small steps to get the feel of it.

Enjoy.

Does the unit show any indication of needing the compass calibration ? i took it outside and let it warm up and it showed the solid green lights after a few minutes.?

As for using Full power, ive read that newbies tend to be gentle which results in a flip, believe me this baby is going well up at first take off and then i promise to be gentle

crash1sttime said:
Hi

Just taken delivery of my new P2V, and im dying to get outside and fly it, but the weather is wet and rainy :(

So ive done the following

Updated all the firmware

Calibrated the controller in the RC asst software
Calibrated the controller in the Phantom software
Done an advanced IMU calibration.

anything else i should consider doing before its maiden voyage.?

Hello crash! I am new to the world of flying these things as well.....just ordered mine yesterday....if you could answer a couple of questions for me.....how did you know how to update the firmware? is it in the instruction manual? and also did you order it from DJI directly and if so how long did it take you to receive it? thanks for any help and congrats about getting ready for your first flight.

dirkclod said:
Not to jump in but Welcome to the forum and go ahead and go here and download manual and start reading and you will be a little ahead when it arrives ;) http://www.dji.com/

thanks dirk i'll take a look at that....didn't know you could download the manual ahead of time!

1st_time_flyer said:
how did you know how to update the firmware? is it in the instruction manual? and also did you order it from DJI directly and if so how long did it take you to receive it?

Hi
ive been on these forums for about 5 weeks and read all there is to know and ive also watched every youtube vid available. ive also read the PDF on here that covers all there is to know, its quite lengthy but most definately worth reading.

I bought the unit (im in the Uk) from buildyourowndrone.co.uk, its the version 1 Vision and for £624 i got a spare battery and a set of props for the price. I considered DJI but was told i would have to pay the VAT so the price went up a lot. i do intend to upgrade the units gimbal sometime next year (maybe the DroneNL one or the RotorPixel) if i feel (rich) inclined.

paulajayne said:
Read the manual - then read it again.
Write out a pre-flight check list.

Wide open space for first flights.

Enjoy.

Got ya on that, but the weather outside is frightful, and ive got a drone which is delightful, but since ive no place to go..merry xmas to all those that do and a happy holiday to those that dont.

Still could do with my question answering if anyone can shed any light

crash1sttime said:
Does the unit show any indication of needing the compass calibration ? i took it outside and let it warm up and it showed the solid green lights after a few minutes.?

Lastly, how many female pilots do we have on here, just curious

crash1sttime said:
Since this is a new unit to your location by all means do the compass "dance" that you should have read about. As for indication: It could show up when in the air and go nuts and fly away. If compass is "off" or not set correctly quad can have a mind of its own. Be sure you add this to your setup.
And be sure to get a tracker.

Thanks Happyflyer for the answer, as for the tracker ive been doing some reading up on here but as most of the forum members are Stateside im finding it hard to locate a decent unit in the UK that would suffice, ive seen a couple on ebay that range from £40 to £200 but dont know which is suitable, i dont need an all singing all dancing unit just one that will work.

Again i will defer to the knowledge of the forum members

edit

how does this sound,

GPS Tracker

That is a problem of advise when in very different locations. There are many posts on the forum about trackers and several of them are in or near your location. Best check these posts and maybe find someone to ask questions about which one that is close to you.

crash1sttime said:
how does this sound,

GPS Tracker

Hey there my first post ;) I just got my Phantom and am looking for a good tracker too. Wouldn't the magnetic base of the tracker you posted, mess with the compass of the Phantom?

NineSwords said:
Wouldn't the magnetic base of the tracker you posted, mess with the compass of the Phantom?

Hi and a big warm welcome to PhantomPilots. :D

i thought that at first but If you read the desription it says it has 2 bases, 1 plastic and 1 magnetic, so i guess im going with the plastic and some 3M velcro, all which have been ordered. :)

So go on and read all the threads and watch all the videos, in the meantime i just waiting for the dam weather to dry out so i can take my P2V on its inaugural test flight.

edit

well the weather broke just enough for a small test flight, and i was shittin bricks as i took off, i mean shaking like a leaf, all the things i had read all the practice in my head just disappeared, gone , but i managed to get a couple of flights of about 1 min each.

Things i noticed, even with 7 sats i had a slight drift to the left, not a lot but enough to think that even though i did a compass calibration that im missing something, on saying that though i was only about 15 feet up so maybe ground effect ?

Dont use an Iphone, you cant copy the files off the SD card to them, you can play them but that's it

Edit again

so the weather went warm and feeling brave i went out into the carpark near where i live and here is the result

MY first flight

I know the video is a bit shaky but i dont think to bad for a first effort

For tracker you can use Loc8tor, free of charge to use, lightweight and reliable.

crash1sttime:
Welcome to the forum! You, too, NineSwords!
I just bought a highly recommended GPS tracker from Drone-mods.com. It attaches to the bottom of the Phantom battery compartment with a very powerful velchro strip - so no magnetic problems. Drone-mods makes an international model. They call it a UAV Locator - on sale for USD $123.49 and then you pay USD $5/month for the tracking service. Have a look at the web site for all the other goodies you can spend your pounds and $$$ and €€€ on.

BWJ said:
For tracker you can use Loc8tor, free of charge to use, lightweight and reliable.

a good unit, but limited to a small range , if your phantom goes down a mile away then your out of luck

Assuming you mean this one

crash1sttime said:
BWJ said:

a good unit, but limited to a small range , if your phantom goes down half mile away then your out of luck

Assuming you mean this one

Yes, I have this one http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/everyday/all- ... -plus.html im very happy with that, and I believe that if you not be able to pinpoint within 180m where around it vent down, and where to start looking, - then who gives a **** (crazy flying).
Next you can save around 50 bobs a year in gps-service. :lol:

crash1sttime said:
Dont use an Iphone, you cant copy the files off the SD card to them, you can play them but that's it

MY first flight

I know the video is a bit shaky but i dont think to bad for a first effort

Yeah, I'm trying to get better at controlling this thing more smoothly. My first day ways just some messing around and getting a feel for it. Also my kids wanted to fly it too and I only got to fly maybe 10 minutes until it got to dark. On the second day I at least tried to get it to fly more smoothly and make a circle pan around me. Here's my first video.I also started to get the Phantom up a bit higher (towards the end of the video) but I panicked when I lost visual at 62m. I don't feel comfortable enough just yet to fly it by iPhone FPV.

I don't know what you mean by "don't use an iPhone" though. During flight I had a FPV picture and after that I was able to copy the files from the drone to my iPhone without a hitch. I uploaded my very first take off to Facebook that way. But for me at least, I wouldn't care anyway since I just get the videos from the SD card. It's so much more convenient then copying the files via App to the iPhone and then getting the files to my comp. Just pop out the SD card from the camera, inset it into a little MIcro SD USB dongle and copy it directly.

*edit* And my younger daughter had so much flying it that she now gets a Blade Nano QX for Christmas.

Hi

Must just be my old iPhone 4, if I try to copy the files via wifi it just says can't play mp4, probably one of those "you must upgrade to a new iPhone or new iOS" but I won't go quietly, my sons want to fly mine once its available (8 days and counting ) but not till I've had my fun. Your video is excellent I wish I had that much open space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik